Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New York, NY CC Winning 15+ Report

EternalFire

After a good night's sleep, I decided to do one of these cc reports also. Go figure. :rolleyes:

So I arrive at Netural Ground around 11:00am and see all the usual suspects.
I knew it wasn't going to be an easy day. I decided to stick with Rock-Lock as it gave me 2 top 4's in 2 previous cc's and wanted to see if I could finally break the cycle. Around 12:30 we start the games.

Round 1 vs Bradley T. with Dark Crobat / Weezng DX
I thought seeing grass this early would give me a early loss, but I was wrong.
He benchs 4 poke and passes with lack of energy most of the game. I proceeded to sand damage by turn 2 all of his benched poke, knocking out 2 koffing and 2 zubat leaving him with a benched paras (40dmg) and a dark golbat. It becomes a dark crobat which he later tries to make a comeback with. But just as he brings it up and ko's 1 of my t-tars, I KO the benched paras with another dark t-tar. Later when he ko's that ttar, I bring up dark amphy with a Dark and DRE attached and FTKO the crobat for the game.
>Win 1-0

Round 2 vs. Fernando (Sauron_mx) with ZRE
Things didn't start out nicely for him as his starter was Ray EX and mine was Plusle DX.
I proceed to ko that ray early in the game but not before he ko's his own trode and ko's my benched pidgeot. Later in the game it came down to 2-1 prizes and needed to Ko his actve Ray EX with 50 dmg on it (by an earlier desert ruins) for the win. All I had left was a bench with 3 basics and only the mareep had a dark on it. So I bring it up hoping to top deck a rare candy, as I already had a DRE and Dark Amphy in hand to ko it. At this point, I had very little hope because 2 wishing stars produced nothing and was 1 card away from losing. Then I draw.... and just like that I topdecked the rare candy! GG.

>Win 2-0

Round 3 vs. Christian O. (Espeonchris14) with Ludicargo/Ninetales
I had a lone pidgey while he has vulpix. Turn 1 he evolves his vulpix into Safeguard Ninetales with candy, attached a DRE and quick attacks for 30 with heads. I draw and pass. He ko's my pidgey with wisp for 40 and the game. After the game I said as a joke that this loss would come back to hurt him in the end. I had no idea how true this would turn out to be.... :lol:
>Lose 2-1

Round 4 vs. Patrick R. with Espeon EX / Umbreon EX
It was a pretty good match but my Dark T-tar's + Desert Ruins took thier toll on his umbreon ex's.
>Win 3-1

Round 5 vs. Jon J. (MozartRules) with Eeveelution deck
I knew this would be the deciding match to make finals and knowing Jon, it wasn't going to be easy. I sit down gearing up for a tough battle. Sadly this battle never came to be as someone stole his deck after round 4. It was kinda heartbreaking for me as I was expecting a classic fight for the finals. I hope things work out for you Jon.
>Win by default 4-1

So top 8 is posted and see my name in there. It's time to rumble.

Top 8 vs. Greg S. With Queendom and Misc techs.
He has made cc finals pretty often with this deck and lots of people have had a tough time bringing this old guy down so I knew it would be a tough battle for me.

Game 1 - He has a hard time bringng out his poke and energy while I make sure he never sees any fully powered Nidoqueens. My T-tars easily take down all of his poke to win this one.
T8-Win 1-0

Game 2 - He Ko's my only larvitar in play with his nidorina's scratch attack by weakness in 3 turns.
T8-Loss 1-1

Game 3 - He has another bad start not breaking away from 2 Nidoran F / Nidorinas while I keep giving him damage with 2 Rock-Locks. (Dark T-tar + Dark Amphy + Atm rock) As he finally manages to bring out his nidoqueens, I ATM 1 more time to knock out both, benching him for the win.
T8 Win 2-1
(CC Total 5-1)

Top 4 vs. Shaw L. (ShawofMordor) with Typhlosion/Weezing DX
Game 1 - I knew it would be a hard fight if he brings out too many Typhlosions, so I kept up the pressure early and take out some benched poke with sand damage and Atm rocks. He makes a nice comeback, but it was not meant to be as I Ko the last poke needed to win by prizes.
T4 Win 1-0

Game 2 - It was a fairly back and forth match and ended up tied in prizes (4-4) when time is called. Sadly my game 1 win knocks him out of the finals. It was a pleasure to fight you man.
T4 Win 2-0 (time + game 1 )
(CC Total 6-1)

Final vs. Christian O. (Espeonchris14) with Ludicargo/Ninetales
Well it finally happens. I come face to face with my last opponent with a ludicargo deck.
I start thinking I'd better be ready for some sort of tough battle, as he went undefeted until now.
Then the curse of the unbeaten and/or my earlier joke of payback comes into play...

Game 1 - He fills his bench by hand, but can't bring out any evolutions as I proceed to lock him.
He surrenders in 8 minutes.
Final Win 1-0

Game 2 - Another disaster for Chris as I start with a Larvitar (Light Punch) vs. his Plusle dx and benched Slugma. I go first and 20 his plusle with weakness. He goes and passes. I draw into a Dark T-tar, having a DRE and Rare candy in hand I evolve and Ko his plusle. He sends up slugma, and 2 turns later I Ko that one also to win the game. It looks like my joke really turned out to be a prediction of the end of the CC. :tongue: (Total combined game time: 11 Min)
Final Win 2-0

(CC Total 7-1)
NYC CC WON

So in the end I win the biggest title in the NYC area. I collect my packs and my bag/medal and head home for a big dinner. I sleep very comfy that night. :biggrin:

Props:
The nice comeback win in Round 2
The payback I give Christian after he downs me round 3
Pulling Vaporeon Ex in my packs
John the PTO for salvaging NYC Cities
The staff for keeping things running smooth

Slops:
Jon's deck being stolen. It was kinda sad to have a free pass into top cut cause I wanted a tough battle for the right to make it in. :frown:

I hope you enjoyed this report. Rock-Lock still does it's thing! :thumb:
Lawrence F. / EternalFire

Last edited:
Great Job on the report Lawrence. It was funny what you told Chris and it actually happen ROFL. But anyways now we have 4 NY City champions from the NYC League!

Oh and GaaRa is Brian.

Last edited:
Nice one OMG I felt like i had a kenneth hand from regionals.-_-, and Good job winning. I also pulled vaporeon ex from my packs in NJ.I really need to put up a 2nd place report.Well congrats and you owe me a rematch. -_-, and it lasted 13 mins not 11.

Last edited:
Espeonchris14 said:
Well congrats and you owe me a rematch. -_-, and it lasted 13 mins not 11.

Yea, but those 2 minutes were setups which I don't count. I meant actual play time... (The needless wait before match 1 and the 30secs - minute shuffle before match 2) :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see what you went through...

Last edited:
good job, larry. when i get back on my feet (almost fully recovered and 2 inches taller now), i'll be sure we have a good game in the future.

Blastoise-shellshocker: Maybe 1 cc medal comng to NYC if I can get to the Johnson city CC.
Zach_EX: *singng* "Here I come to save the day!"
Espeonchris14: No report?
David's Confused Pokedad: As you may see above I could possibly play 1 more CC this weekend. Maybe afterwards.
Benlugia: I can't wait to play you again. See you then.

omg!! this seems so much like the brooklyn cc, curse of frist, then brought down by the older brother of a person you beet in swiss, yay revenge, guess your glad you came out on top this time. good job!

Back