Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Newbie Lightning deck

Ahriman

Trying to help my nephew get into a game to promote problem solving and so forth. He likes Pokemon, has a bunch of cards he has collected, and likes Lightning Pokemon. So I thought I'd make him a simple, straightforward deck he can run, have fun with, and feel like he's doing well.
I was thinking of including some of the following, though I have no ideas on ratios for evolution stages, energy, and trainers vs. pokemon:

A couple standalone fair strength Pokemon that don't evolve:
Zapdos (Drill Peck and Raging Thunder)
Stunfisk (Revenge and Thunder Blast)

A couple "wow!" big powerful EX pokemon:
Manectric EX + Mega Manectric EX
Thundurus EX -or- Zekrom EX -or- Raikou EX

And a few that evolve:
Pikachu (one each from Breakthrough, Furious Fists, XY, and Next Destinies, maybe substituting a Raging Skies one in there) + Raichu (one each from those same sets) + Raichu Break
Magnemite + Magneton + Magnezone (all from Breakthrough)

Considered the electric eel evolutions, or Shinx, or maybe the electric sheep, wasn't quite sure; these do seem decent.

Thought some card draw supporters (Tierno, Wally), a few potions, a few Energy Retrieval since a fair number of these pokemon discharge their energy, maybe some Switch? But again, I'm not sure how many of the higher level evolutions to use, and how much energy.

Any suggestions would be great. Trying to not break the bank, but I don't mind spending a bit on it.

For optimal advice, please list the name, quantity, and set of the cards in your nephew's collection. It's a bit easier to offer suggestions from an organized list.

That said, the Stadium card Rough Seas allows 30 damage to be healed off of all of a player's Lightning and/or Water-type Pokemon in play, once per turn. The two tend to be played together, as a result, leading to things like M Manectric EX being able to quickly charge up Regice.

Back