Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

next modified format: no special enegies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan1975

I have been talking with my league players here in
viña del mar , Chile, and it has come to everyone's attention
that most of the "important" special energies, now being
used, are , most likely, not going
to be available for a possible modified format 2008-2009
well, here are the cases:

1) double rainbow energy: last re-edited promo pop 5
2) scramble energy: last re-edited promo pop 5
And since this promo edition is most likely not going to be allowed in the next format
two issues will show, in the case of double rainbow energy, this would be a huge loss for
the game, having that most of the decks now used have it in
their strategies and In the second case, pretty much the same
thing will occur

well, having in mind that this is just an "If" scenary, i would like to you to comment
on this idea.

It will definitely change the game a bit but I am sure there will be other special energy that will come in futcher sets.

Without Ex Pkmn and new DPon Pkmn that are as powerful as Ex Pkmn, im glad that they are gone, they are so overpowered atm

I have been talking with my league players here in
viña del mar , Chile, and it has come to everyone's attention
that most of the "important" special energies, now being
used, are , most likely, not going
to be available for a possible modified format 2008-2009
well, here are the cases:

1) double rainbow energy: last re-edited promo pop 5
2) scramble energy: last re-edited promo pop 5
And since this promo edition is most likely not going to be allowed in the next format
two issues will show, in the case of double rainbow energy, this would be a huge loss for
the game, having that most of the decks now used have it in
their strategies and In the second case, pretty much the same
thing will occur

well, having in mind that this is just an "If" scenary, i would like to you to comment
on this idea.

While those are the main ones that provide more than 2 energies at a time, we also lose the following

All 3 holon energy - I am okay with this, they are good but not quite as needed or good as some other energy cards that have been made.
Boost energies - It is a card that is situational, it is good but doesnt see a huge amount of play.
Cyclone/Warp energies - these are good but are also situational.
Heal Energy - I personally think that this is the most underrated energy card in the format. It is very good, it heals both damage and conditions when attached.
Multi Energy - I dont believe this has been reprinted in any of the DP era sets.

While we do get 2 or 3 new energies in the next set, none measure up to DRE, Scramble, Boost, Multi, or Heal energy.

I personally am having a hard time believe that Rainbow Energy has still not been reprinted. There are a certian number of cards that should ALWAYS be legal, mostly trainers, like Potion, Switch, and such, Rainbow is one of the few energy cards (along with boost and multi) IMO should always be legal.

While, Boost, Multi, Cyclone, and Warp may stay legal if POP decides to keep PK in the format, it still will see 3 of the best special energies in recent years gone. While one has been in and out the last few years (Rainbow), the other 2 have been legal since their release in TMvsTA and Deoxys respectively. While the format was fine without them, I do feel that there is a need for either Rainbow or Multi, as one has been legal since the ORIGINAL TEAM ROCKET set that was released around 8 years or so ago.

Drew

While those are the main ones that provide more than 2 energies at a time, we also lose the following

All 3 holon energy - I am okay with this, they are good but not quite as needed or good as some other energy cards that have been made.
Boost energies - It is a card that is situational, it is good but doesnt see a huge amount of play.
Cyclone/Warp energies - these are good but are also situational.
Heal Energy - I personally think that this is the most underrated energy card in the format. It is very good, it heals both damage and conditions when attached.
Don't forget Holon's Castform.

Two things will change with the loss of old Special Energy:

1.) There is no possibility to provide multi-type energy except for Multi Energy, which is not stackable and can only cover attacks that need one colered energy. That means, it will me much more difficult to tech cards with different types in a deck.

2.) With no multi-valued energy in format, Pokémon can't attack as fast as now. We have to choose Pokémon with lower energy costs or use accelation support like Togekiss, Typhlosion, Sceptile or Leafeon Lv.X.

Gardevoir and Gallade will no longer be able to attack fast but can be used as supporting line - imho a pure G&G deck will fail next season. Magmortar still can be played very well with Togekiss, but water weakness may be a problem. There are lots of decks that may raise next season because they don't need DRE or Scramble anyway - Fairy Legends, Kingdra, Garchomp, Gliscor, just to mention a few of them.

I personally think it's good that DRE and Scramble rotate out because next season could be more interesting. Energy costs will play a bigger role than now (where it doesn't really matter if you need 3 energy to attack).

And remember, DRE and Scramble Energy were never designed to be used with Infernape, Magmortar, Gardevoir, Honchkrow or other DP decks.

This upcoming format is going to be a fun rollercoaster at the beginning.

Right now, we rely on many of the useful trainers and energies that are still alive in the EX sets.
Such as
DRE and Scramble (probably the biggest hit)
Stevens
Castaway
Scott (not used that often)
TV Reporter (slowly being replaced in most decks)
Copycat
Great Ball/Master Ball/PokeNav/Birch (basically the whole fishing engine)
And the ever popular tools: Strength Charm, Cessation Crystal NAMELY

SO, what does that leave us with?
WELL, one thing is certain, there will be an uncanny shift of speed in the format.
What that means is that decks like GG and Magmortar that thrive on DRE/Scramble won't be as viable.
People don't realize how good they have it when they slap down one of their 4 DREs onto a Gallade/Gardy to Psychic Lock em.
Energy Acceleration is going to be scarce also.
Fire will have Typhlosion, but most types don't have much.
SO, that leaves us with a much slower format. We are going back in time it seems to the setup days of the Ex-on format with Dunsparce and Delcatty being hugely dominant.
More people are going to rely on setup Pokemon like Phione and Pachirisu and poke-powers to get their cards (with the elimination of Cessation)

and more and more people are going to look much more closely at energy costs.
No longer will 3 energy to do X amount seem that great anymore because it will be that much more of a hassle to charge up.

It'll be interesting to see the rivalry between speed decks and T2 decks like Banette and Beedrill compared to setup power hitting decks like GG/Mortar.
Notice, that GG/Mortar would struggle MUCH MUCH more against Banette/Beedrill without their DREs and Scrambles to make quick comebacks from a KO on a Gallade or fully charged Mortar.

Well even if all of those special energies don't get reprinted it won't matter. There will always be new cards to replace them. I remember double colorless energy. Man that was a great card. It got rotated out but there were other cards to take it's place.

I'm looking forward to the possible reprint of Potion and Full Heal energies in the next set since Healer and Recover energies are essentially that

Well even if all of those special energies don't get reprinted it won't matter. There will always be new cards to replace them. I remember double colorless energy. Man that was a great card. It got rotated out but there were other cards to take it's place.

lol
there never has and never will be a card to replace double colorless energy.
that card was off da chain. I miss it. It was so broken, especially w/ Wiggly, 2 for 60 was unbelievable back then.

But yeah no card really ever replaced it.
Hopefully we get a good replacement for DRE and Scramble but it don't look like it.

It's really gonna slow down some of the decks around right now (gg and mag especially), which means there will probably be a rise in the use of Togekiss or Sceptile.

I agree with TheDarkTwins that certain cards should always remain legal. (I thought this was originally the intent of the POP sets, but that is a different discussion.) I would love to see most of the cards Professor Elm mentioned reprinted. They are not overpowered by any definition and they really help the game, IMO.

In my opinion we don't need to have DRE or Scramble back next season. The format will become much more exciting. Not to mention it won't be as easy to build decks anymore.

I can't see rainbow returning without a more significant negative than one damage counter. I can imagine seeing some dual colour double energies eg {FG} energies that have to be discarded at the end of turn. We may even see multiple colour single energies as specials - restricted multi's. Maybe a mini-boost which provides {CC}.

I won't miss scramble from a judge perspective. Scramble single handedly makes the prize penalty much weaker than it ought to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back