Nidorina/Nidoqueen

JewelQuest

Nidorina/Nidoqueen
Nature: Naive
Item:(Not sure about this)
Ability: Poison Point

EVs:

160 HP EVs(Have 160 already trained)
176 Sp. Atk EVs(Have 10 already trained)
172 Speed EVs(Have 36 already trained)

Moveset at the moment:

Double Kick
Fury swipes
Shadow Claw
Tail Whip

Future Moveset:

Ice Beam(Definite)
Earth Power(Definite)
Protect(Definite)
???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First thing to note, this is in my Heartgold version. Second thing to note is that this is my first EV trained Pokemon. Third thing to note this that I am not planning on every using this in a video game tournement. I only battle my siblings really.

I have blasted through all of my other games and battled against my siblings with mostly offensive moves and no strategy whatsoever, but I came to realize that moves that buff and debuff are essential, as well as moves that do other things and actual strategy. So, I am not sure what to do about my moveset. I posted the current moveset that I am using while I am leveling her up and EV training her, but I have yet to use Tail Whip.... I could use some help. I am perfectly willing to listen to ideas that would fair well against people in online play, but always keep in mind that I have no plan to do this.

I am pretty happy with my EVs, as I want her to survive and be able to attack fast. I wouldn't mind having a couple moves that up evasion, but I am not sure about my options.

I could also use help in decided an item for her. In my main team, I always used an item that raised the attack of the moves that they used the most. I am thinking about Quick Claw, but I am not certain.

Right now she is a level 20 Nidorina, but I do plan on evolving her into a Nidoqueen soon.

Helpful comments are appreciated, snide, unhelpful comments are not.

---------- Post added 05/30/2012 at 04:59 PM ----------

Sheesh, 27 views and not one post?

A recap in case some people are confused

-I'm training this on my HeartGold version
-I am not using this for any competitive play against real people except my siblings
-I am happy with my planned EVs
-I need help deciding my moveset
-I need help deciding my item

And any other advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Well Nidoqueen usually runs more special-oriented sets thanks to Sheer Force and the variety. But if you really want to use it for purely casual play against your brothers with a physical, probably go something along:

-Earthquake
-Superpower
-Stone Edge / Rock Slide
-Ice Beam / Poison Jab / Filler (even with no EVs Ice Beam will still do a number on most quad weak dragons)

I dislike your EV choice, you can't really have bulky and fast because Nidoqueen isn't fast to begin with, and even with the HP investment its defenses aren't that good still, not to mention you have Naive which detracts from SpD. So I would strongly reconsider the Spe EVs into Atk or some Def, or ditch the HP and max Atk and Spe. Either way, Nidoqueen's mate, Nidoking, is far better suited for an attacking role anyways due to his better Atk and SpA stat.

For items, depends really; Life Orb would boost your attacking power some at least since you don't want to invest in more Atk, but you could just as well Band it. Scarf is another option, or even Leftovers (though Leftys would be better suited for a more defensive Pokemon). I guess if you really want to be annoying since this is pure casual play, fit in Double Team and go with Leftys.

A few questions:

For single battles or double battles?

This will assist in getting a move set figured out. Nidoqueen has so many moves available, it is tough to say a good move set suggestion until it is stated single or double battle.

What skill level is your siblings at?

This will also assist in knowing if your looking to stomp or educate them.

Hold items:

Black sludge
Leftovers
Poison gem (If you choose to get STAB through moves that are suggested.

I understand what it is you have planned in rasing it, I am just not sure as to what way you would like to use the Nidoqueen.

Please let us know what direction and how you want the Nidoqueen to go: Stomp or passive.

Well Nidoqueen usually runs more special-oriented sets thanks to Sheer Force and the variety. But if you really want to use it for purely casual play against your brothers with a physical, probably go something along:

-Earthquake
-Superpower
-Stone Edge / Rock Slide
-Ice Beam / Poison Jab / Filler (even with no EVs Ice Beam will still do a number on most quad weak dragons)

I dislike your EV choice, you can't really have bulky and fast because Nidoqueen isn't fast to begin with, and even with the HP investment its defenses aren't that good still, not to mention you have Naive which detracts from SpD. So I would strongly reconsider the Spe EVs into Atk or some Def, or ditch the HP and max Atk and Spe. Either way, Nidoqueen's mate, Nidoking, is far better suited for an attacking role anyways due to his better Atk and SpA stat.

For items, depends really; Life Orb would boost your attacking power some at least since you don't want to invest in more Atk, but you could just as well Band it. Scarf is another option, or even Leftovers (though Leftys would be better suited for a more defensive Pokemon). I guess if you really want to be annoying since this is pure casual play, fit in Double Team and go with Leftys.

I didn't realize my EV choice was unusual......But this is my first EV trained Pokemon, so I am experimenting and figuring it out as I go.

I might switch to Sp. Atk or switch some of the HP EVs to invest into Attack.

I like the idea of Stone Edge and Ice Beam, but I'd rather not Earthquake since I am planning on doing some Battle Frontier with my siblings, and we tend to lose because Earthquake messes everything up.

Thank you for the advice!

A few questions:

For single battles or double battles?

This will assist in getting a move set figured out. Nidoqueen has so many moves available, it is tough to say a good move set suggestion until it is stated single or double battle.

What skill level is your siblings at?

This will also assist in knowing if your looking to stomp or educate them.

Hold items:

Black sludge
Leftovers
Poison gem (If you choose to get STAB through moves that are suggested.

I understand what it is you have planned in rasing it, I am just not sure as to what way you would like to use the Nidoqueen.

Please let us know what direction and how you want the Nidoqueen to go: Stomp or passive.

I usually go Stomp, but I am planning to use this Nidoqueen with my sister's Nidoking that she is training up against the Battle Castle. And then I will probably get my own Nidoking and have them battle together. So, a mixture of Stomp and Passive in order to keep my partner alive but still be able to do some damage(One reason why I have Shadow Claw).

I want this Nidoqueen to be able to be pretty Double Battle oriented. When I get more Pokemon EV trained, I will probably use her to some degree in a Single Battle team against the league or my siblings, but not much.

I didn't realize my EV choice was unusual......But this is my first EV trained Pokemon, so I am experimenting and figuring it out as I go.

I might switch to Sp. Atk or switch some of the HP EVs to invest into Attack.

I like the idea of Stone Edge and Ice Beam, but I'd rather not Earthquake since I am planning on doing some Battle Frontier with my siblings, and we tend to lose because Earthquake messes everything up.

Thank you for the advice!

I usually go Stomp, but I am planning to use this Nidoqueen with my sister's Nidoking that she is training up against the Battle Castle. And then I will probably get my own Nidoking and have them battle together. So, a mixture of Stomp and Passive in order to keep my partner alive but still be able to do some damage(One reason why I have Shadow Claw).

I want this Nidoqueen to be able to be pretty Double Battle oriented. When I get more Pokemon EV trained, I will probably use her to some degree in a Single Battle team against the league or my siblings, but not much.
If you'd like to focus more on the SpA side, Earth Power is a great alternative to EQ. Then you can also grab Sludge Wave, which is akin to "Surf", but Poison type instead (and with a Nidoking partner, it'll barely hurt him since he's Poison as well).

So going along the special attacker route, here's a more standard set:

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb / Expert Belt / Leftovers (depending on what you want to give to Nidoking)
Modest, 252 HP, 252 SpA, 6 Spe*

-Earth Power
-Sludge Wave
-Ice Beam
-T-Bolt / Focus Blast / Fire Blast

*You can probably opt for some EVs into Spe if you want to outspeed certain targets. Optionally, 252 SpA and 252 Spe would be more sweeper oriented, but that's something more for Nidoking.

The last move is dependent largely on what you want for coverage, as all 3 are viable depending on what you want to hit. If you're opting for a Nido pairing, I'd also make the Nidoking a physical attacker; Nidoking is normally a special attacker as well, but in Doubles, it'd be nice to have a partner dishing out physical attacks, and Nidoking is stronger than Nidoqueen in that regard.

On that note, again if you're planning on doubles with your or your sister's Nidoking, Protect is a great move to have; it blocks out damage you might otherwise take from EQ and other multi-hitting moves.

If you'd like to focus more on the SpA side, Earth Power is a great alternative to EQ. Then you can also grab Sludge Wave, which is akin to "Surf", but Poison type instead (and with a Nidoking partner, it'll barely hurt him since he's Poison as well).

So going along the special attacker route, here's a more standard set:

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb / Expert Belt / Leftovers (depending on what you want to give to Nidoking)
Modest, 252 HP, 252 SpA, 6 Spe*

-Earth Power
-Sludge Wave
-Ice Beam
-T-Bolt / Focus Blast / Fire Blast

*You can probably opt for some EVs into Spe if you want to outspeed certain targets. Optionally, 252 SpA and 252 Spe would be more sweeper oriented, but that's something more for Nidoking.

The last move is dependent largely on what you want for coverage, as all 3 are viable depending on what you want to hit. If you're opting for a Nido pairing, I'd also make the Nidoking a physical attacker; Nidoking is normally a special attacker as well, but in Doubles, it'd be nice to have a partner dishing out physical attacks, and Nidoking is stronger than Nidoqueen in that regard.

On that note, again if you're planning on doubles with your or your sister's Nidoking, Protect is a great move to have; it blocks out damage you might otherwise take from EQ and other multi-hitting moves.

I'd love to do Sludge Wave, but it looks like it's only for B&W....

At the moment, I am going for

-Shadow Claw/Water Pulse/Dragon Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Earth Power/Focus Blast
-Protect/???

I've talked to my sister, and I'll probably be re-training into Sp. Atk and will be changing over some of my HP EVs to it. I'll probably get rid of Shadow Claw in that case(even though I love the move) and have my sister have her Nidoking learn it.

Water Pulse
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Protect

Having Nidoking be the physical like Regis said should have the Shadow Claw.
Depending on Nidokings move set, T-bolt could replace Protect.

K, I totally rearranged my EVs after talking to my sister last night, and she did as well.

At the moment, the EV set up is

Nidoqueen

-160 HP EVs planned
-176 Sp. Atk EVs planned
-172 Speed EVs planned

Nidoking

-200 Atk EVs planned
-152 Speed EVs planned
-156 Sp. Def EVs planned

I'll edit the first page to reflect the changes I've made.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the moment, the planned moveset for Nidoqueen is;
(Just realized that Earthquake is a Physical move.....*Sheepishgrin*, edited)

-Ice Beam
-Protect
-Earth Power
-Dragon Pulse/Fire Blast/Focus Blast/ ???

And we are still working on figuring out what Nidoking's moveset is going to be.

Last edited:
Last slot for Nidoqueen is for whatever you need to cover really; once you have Nidoking set, should be easy to pick. Otherwise, T-bolt or Fire Blast are your general friends, as Dragon Pulse is redundant for the most part due to Ice Beam covering the most popular ones.

I'd go with HP EVs on Nidoking as well, he doesn't take special hits that much better with SpD EVs.

Last slot for Nidoqueen is for whatever you need to cover really; once you have Nidoking set, should be easy to pick. Otherwise, T-bolt or Fire Blast are your general friends, as Dragon Pulse is redundant for the most part due to Ice Beam covering the most popular ones.

I'd go with HP EVs on Nidoking as well, he doesn't take special hits that much better with SpD EVs.

K, thanks for your help. :D

Water Pulse
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Protect

Having Nidoking be the physical like Regis said should have the Shadow Claw.
Depending on Nidokings move set, T-bolt could replace Protect.

I like Earth Power more than Water Pulse. Reason being is, given Her type and movepool, she can hit more types with Earth Power then she would hit with Water Pulse.

With Water Pulse, she hits fire, rock and ground types. With Earth Power, she attacks with STAB and hits fire, rock and steel. Ice Beam hits the ground type. The main usefulness of Water Pulse is to hit things like Moltres and Ho-Oh but giving her Thunderbolt or Thunder solves that problem.

So maybe this move set

Earth Power
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Thunderbolt/Thunder

I like Earth Power more than Water Pulse. Reason being is, given Her type and movepool, she can hit more types with Earth Power then she would hit with Water Pulse.

With Water Pulse, she hits fire, rock and ground types. With Earth Power, she attacks with STAB and hits fire, rock and steel. Ice Beam hits the ground type. The main usefulness of Water Pulse is to hit things like Moltres and Ho-Oh but giving her Thunderbolt or Thunder solves that problem.

So maybe this move set

Earth Power
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Thunderbolt/Thunder

Perhaps, though I would like to have Protect in there somewhere in order to keep myself from being knocked out by my sister's Earthquake.

Earth Power and Ice Beam are guaranteed, and basically so is Protect(depends on whether or not my sister includes Earthquake in her moveset).

I am still trying to find out what my fourth move, however, is gonna be, so Thunderbolt or Thunder may fit in. I am waiting for my sister to decide what her moveset is gonna be so that I can finish my moveset.

I haven't decided what my Nidoking is going to have yet.... And my sister hasn't decided what her Nidoking's moveset is gonna be either. :/ She's working on it though. I'll tell you when she does.

I was only asking because Nidoking can also gain access to Thunderbolt and Thunder. Stone Edge is another good option to use as well.

Also, is this team for use with Double battling or singles because that makes a huge difference.

I was only asking because Nidoking can also gain access to Thunderbolt and Thunder. Stone Edge is another good option to use as well.

Also, is this team for use with Double battling or singles because that makes a huge difference.

Have you read the thread? It's for Double Battles, particularly for taking down the Battle Frontier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you read the thread? It's for Double Battles, particularly for taking down the Battle Frontier.

I must have missed that. My bad. Well, pick from some of the suggested moves from above. Do you have an ideal moveset for Nidoking? It may help in deciding the moveset.

I must have missed that. My bad. Well, pick from some of the suggested moves from above. Do you have an ideal moveset for Nidoking? It may help in deciding the moveset.

I am trying to get her to decide, but it's hard to pick from all of the moves. We know that she is mostly likely going to have Earthquake on her Nidoking, which is why I have Protect planned.

Right now I leaning towards Fire Blast, Focus Blast, or Thunder depending on what she picks, though.

Back