Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ohio & player issues discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

calisupra2nr

I made top cut at this weekend's BR's so I went in thinking okay this could be fun (I rarely make it to premier events). After the judges explained all the rulings for top cut we began. I scooped, bad start, whateve I was just happy to be playing. Next turn is going good for both of us and then this older man decides that I am a cheater. He calls over a judge to look at my sleeves because some of them are older (rising rivals PR to be exact). They are barely bent, but apparently I am stacking my deck. So the judge asks if I have any extra of the sleeves (as if they give out 61 PR sleeves in a pack) and I reply sorry, no. So he says you can take out all of your cards and play without sleeves, and again I said sorry no. I had my Flygon Lv X that I refuse to play without protection.

Then I began to analyze what actually just happened... Some random man just accused me of my integrity and essentially called me a cheater. I had about 3 hours worth of homework before classes on Monday (today) and I had some paperwork to get ready for work in the morning. I decided you know, this is not for me. I then just scooped up and walked out. I was fuming at the time but now reflecting on it, I can only assume that Pokemon (a game for FUN!) attracts a lot of socially ackward people that take it too seriously and essentially push away casual players. Many of my friends gave on up tournaments because the people are just too rude about the most ludicrous small things. I have watched other players be scrutinized for small errors and it makes me want to vomit. My buddies and I barely have time to hang out with each other and when we decide to do anything Pokemon, we will just head to prerelease where it is much more fun and relaxing. What a turn off and let down that day was for me as I was excited to try and play Pokemon more often. Oh well now I can spend less money on the game and instead invest more in Nintendo common stock!

I would like some comments/input from the more casual players that have little time but a lot of love for this game as to what their experience is. I would also like to exemplify how wonderful some of the people are like Heather, Dustin, Austin, etc. I hope that they will continue to be a driving force in Pokemon and keep their attitudes at the forefront of the game.

Adam

Last edited:
Yeah, a lot of players take Pokemon too seriously and make it their life. (Especially a couple here in socal). You top cut, they get jealous. You win, they make excuses. Its how those Pokemon players are. Makes lots of people want to quit.

It really just kind of makes me sad, because Pokemon has always been something that keeps me rooted to my childhood and I can still relate to as I begin my adult life. It becomes stripped away by events like that and makes me feel like I am forced to stick to Prereleases because I do not take Pokemon competitively enough.

I think this is bound to happen in any kind of competitive atmosphere.

To be honest, of all the games I've played or witness be played, I think Pokemon has the best community by far. I'd argue that if you were to play M:TG or YGO or Warhammer or any other collectible, competitive game you'd get stuff like this more often. Not an excuse, I know, but we do have it easy.

Sorry that your area isn't to your liking. Hopefully you'll spend your money/time on something that you can enjoy more!

dude did u do a deck check with a judge
if so then the judge should of told the old geaser that the sleeves are fine since he checked them already

Wow in a battle road. These are suppose to be very low calibur tournaments. Not super crazy gut throat... sucks that happened to you. In my area someone would of given you sleeves...

so wait....
One person got on your nerves.
Your response is....you quit?

Crap Happens
You wipe off your shoe and keep running.

same thing happaned to a friend of mine last season.

you should have reversed the call on him and said his sleeves look a little beat up. maybe it would have told him to calm down and play the darn game. there are no such things as perfect sleeves.

Well looking at it seems strange a random 61 year old calls you out on something so small but he makes it a big deal i would like to know if this was a family member of the person you where playing against if it was i think it makes quite a difference. Also just becuase some random person ruins a tourny noting it it is a very small tourny to start of the season doesnt mean you quite it should just show that you need to step up and take charge of yourself instead of getting mad and storming out when this could have been settled in a better way and then it should also show be prepared for tournys always carry around extra sleeves,burn and poison marks, damage counters , etc ...

As I've judged quite a few tournaments, I agree with what the judge said. If you have damaged sleeves then you should have back-ups. While BRs are small tournaments they are still tournaments, and must abide by POP rules. If you want casual play then you should go to a League or something like that. Judges can't make acceptions for rules, they can only make lesser penalties (if needed).

And if you were just going to quite the game afterwords then you should have just de-sleeved and played your last game (and maybe won) instead of walking out.

Did you ask for an appeal to the HJ?? Was this your opponent pointing out the sleeves or a spectator? Did the questionable sleeves considered marked contain important card such as your single techs or LvX for instance?

Getting up and leaving is poor SotG, however if this was someone trying to get an "up" on you, they succeeded. Word of advice, always have extra sleeves available at Tournaments. at anytime, you could be deck checked and asked to re-sleeve. BRs, though low on the Premiere Rating, are still PREMIERE events and Judges should not just let things slide because of the K Value.

Would like to get the answer to those questions first before going into more detail :thumb:

Fish

In any event, not a happy story.

I just hope the 61 year old was the opponent, and just not some person watching the match.

<I have no idea where the 61 year old thing came from, aren't all old people 61?>

Seriously, would love to hear more from other sides about this. There is always more than one side to the story.

<We have all dealt with the "interested interferons" who are actually pulling for someone in the match...hence at the bigger events (States, Regionals) why we do top cuts for the Seniors and Juniors AWAY from the spectators!!! Actually had one where I was the TO, standing with a parent, who said, "Didn't the kid have to discard? And sure enough, he was right. Pulled the judge over, and the situation was corrected. Moments later, the opponent had to discard, looked right at the parent, and said, you weren't going to remind me of that one too? Hmmm, must be your player. They admitted that was probably the case (I knew them from league), and then I asked them to move away from the match.>

Vince

Last edited:
Next turn is going good for both of us and then this older man decides that I am a cheater. He calls over a judge to look at my sleeves because some of them are older (rising rivals PR to be exact). They are barely bent, but apparently I am stacking my deck. So the judge asks if I have any extra of the sleeves (as if they give out 61 PR sleeves in a pack) and I reply sorry, no. So he says you can take out all of your cards and play without sleeves, and again I said sorry no. I had my Flygon Lv X that I refuse to play without protection.
Then I began to analyze what actually just happened... Some random man just accused me of my integrity and essentially called me a cheater.

I'm sorry that you felt that this person was attacking your integrity on a personal level but it's important to note a few important things:

1) The judge’s call indicates that there was in fact an issue with your sleeves. I'm betting the older man in question simply noted the fact that he was able to see your bent (and thus possibly illegal) sleeves from where he was standing and was not inferring anything about you as a person.

2) The tournament rules do indicate the possibility that you may have to switch sleeves mid event. If you were a Juniors player, you might have got some slack but as a Masters player if you already knew that your sleeves were old, not bringing sleeves simply makes you unprepared.

3) Speaking only to the situation after the judge got involved, if your sleeves were bent at all the judge most likely made the correct call according to the rules.

4) Don't forget it is legal for a spectator to contact a judge to inquire into the legality of play.

Out of curiosity, would you have felt differently if this issue had been caught in a deck check as perhaps it should have if you were in the top cut?

they are being awfully strict on sleeves and cards this season.

I was told my sleeve may be fine but since some of my cards are older they have this slight curve. This stuff has never come up before.
It's come to the point where I did replace 2 of my uxies.

On a side note sleeves can be damaged in game- during the tournament.
So always have extras.

a lot of ygo players are playing pokemon now. these sleeves rules and whatnot i would assume is coming from the past year about complaints of stacking/illegal shuffling and whatnot.

kwisdumb is correct tho. pokemon has it VERY EASY. be happy.

I guess I should chime in, being the Judge that made the call. The sleeves in question had a issue with the side of them. They were worn sleeves so on the edges you could tell the difference between some. I would say about 40% of the sleeves were this way(That is base on memory). It was a obvious difference, but it was also obvious that it was just the sleeves being old and used. I know Adam, he is a player at the League I help run.

I do understand that you didn't want to get your cards scratched or what not. We could have worked something out, including I could let you borrow sleeves or what not. You did get up and leave before we could think of a solution.

I do hope you don't quit Adam, you are a good player, and I understand it get's frustrating. I hope to see you at league soon.

Last edited:
I guess I should chime in, being the Judge that made the call. The sleeves in question had a issue with the side of them. They were worn sleeves so on the edges you could tell the difference between some. I would say about 40% of the sleeves were this way(That is base on memory). It was a obvious difference, but it was also obvious that it was just the sleeves being old and used. I know Adam, he is a player at the League I help run.

I do understand that you didn't want to get your cards scratched or what not. We could have worked something out, including I could let you borrow sleeves or what not. You did get up and leave before we could think of a solution.

I do hope you don't quit Adam, you are a good player, and I understand it get's frustrating. I hope to see you at league soon.
were there deckchecks prior to the t4 matches? why wasn't the sleeve issue addressed then?

'mom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back