Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Old Pokemon, New Rulings? (Electrode, Base Set)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dek

Hopefully, many of you remember Electrode from Base Set. For those who dont, its power allowed you to treat it like 2 energies of the same type. Here is the text for the power

Base Set Electrode said:
Pokemon Power: Buzzap At any time during your turn (before your attack), you may Knock Out Electrode and attach it to 1 of your Pokemon. If you do, choose a type of Energy. Electrode is now an Energy card (instead of a Pokemon) that provides 2 energy of that type. You can't use this power if Electrode is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.

So here is my little scenario...

Base Set Venusaur is out on the field. I have an Electrode on the Bench. I use his power and he is KOed (according to the text) and now becomes two energy of my choosing. Lets say i choose grass since i am playign a Venusaur deck. Here is my question...

Can I use Energy Trans since Electrode is being treated as 2 Grass Energies?

EDIT - May 24, 2004 @ 4:17 PM

I would also like to add 2 more questions to this topic before this topic is answered...

1. If I do use Buzzap to change Electrode into 2 Energies, can i change them into Darkness and Metal Energies as the text says "Energy" instead of "Basic Energy" (more of a "play it according to what it says" ruling question)?

2. When one of my Pokemon is KOed and it has Electrode attached to it, would I be able to use Energy Charge/Power Charge to bring Electrode back into my hand as it was treated as an Energy at the time of discarding?

Thanks in advance,
AZ

Last edited:
Ah yes, good ol' Electrode. Fortunately for you, all three of these answers can be found in the original Compendium:
== BUZZAP (Electrode - Base Set)

* If a card gives off Energy of any type then that card COUNTS as an Energy card of that type. This means a Buzzap'd Electrode that was chosen to give 2 Grass Energy COUNTS as a Grass Energy Card and can be Energy Transferred by Venusaur's Pokémon Power. (Mar 30, 2000 WotC Chat)

Q. Can you use electrode and count it as Dark/Metal??
A. Yes, but when you do so you will not get the 'bonus' effects that those actual energy cards provide. (Dec 21, 2000 WotC Chat, Q23)

Q. If a Buzzapped Electrode is returned to your hand [or put into the discard pile], would it still be considered an energy card, or would it revert back to a Pokémon card?
A. It would revert. (Aug 31, 2000 WotC Chat, Q241; Oct 26, 2000 WotC Chat, Q3)

Enjoy,
- CHRISBO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back