Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Opening Game Procedure - Mulligan Related Question

GrandmaJoner

OK so I know that after both players draw their opening hands, they are required to only play ONE basic down, and then if their opponent plays a basic they can feel free to play more. However, I have never found a solution for the scenario I will explain here.

Say I have a hand of 7 cards with two different basics - let's assume one is a more aggressive opener and the other is a more passive opener, both with retreat cost (not super relevant). But I am missing one piece from my hand, that if I had I would be going with the aggressive starter 100% of the time. I know the piece I am missing is easily searchable and I have a decent chance of drawing it off the top of my deck, and if I get this piece and begin with my aggressive starter then I will put my opponent in a tough situation.

However, none of us has played a basic down yet. IF I KNOW, PRIOR TO PLAYING MY ACTIVE POKEMON that my opponent has a mulligan, I will be more inclined to go with the aggressive starter because I know I will get to draw at least one extra card. BUT, if I put my active Pokemon down prior to my opponent revealing the fact that he has a mulligan I may elect to go with the conservative active Pokemon.

My point is - this knowledge of whether he has a mulligan or not AFFECTS my decision to select an active Pokemon.

So the question becomes, who is obligated to act first? Does my opponent alert me that he has a mulligan prior to me playing me basic? Do I have to play a basic first prior to him letting me know he has a mulligan? I mean if he sits around waiting for me to play a basic for 30 minutes I could ASSUME he has a mulligan but he may not. IDK. I hope you guys understand the question here. I understand I must play my active Pokemon before my opponent REVEALS his hand, but whether he alerts me first or not is the question. I am not aware of any ruling here, and realize it often sort of gets left up to mind games if this situation occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There is no ruling here.
The players are required to perform set up in a timely manner.

Back