Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Organized Play Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scizor

I realize that Nintendo has done a great job of their OP structure so far. We have had Pre-Release tournaments and are now able to sanction tournaments. There are some things that concern me, like the ad i have seen in the last two Nintendo Power Magazines. It says that there will be Citywide Tournaments, Regional, State and even National and Worlds tournaments coming soon. WOTC seemed to always have a different definition of coming soon nearly everytime they said it, but nintendo has been pretty prompt so far. With all of these promises and OP ideas, it concerns me that they haven't said anything in detail about them. I know it is the holiday season and they are very busy, but giving us some kind of date (they were right with their promise of the Mod.Format on October 1st) would be great. A Major Constructed Tournament Structure is REALLY needed and may even bring more players back into the game. If anyone has heard anything or knows who i can email about getting some kind of information would be greatly appreciated. Anymore ideas? Thoughts? Concerns?

From what I have seen stated publically so far, there are plans in the works for 2004. Supposidly there will be the Gym Ladder League, which will send players to the City Championships which will send them to the State Championships... Along with those, there will also be Gym and Stadium Challenges, which one can earn an invite to the World Championships. I don't remember what issue it was in, but recently (Oct. or Nov. 2003) in Nintendo Power there was mentions for World Championships being sometime late summer 2004. Based of that time frame, and the fact it is currently the holiday season, I think it would be logical for these other programs to be released after the new year kicks off... I don't know just a thought.

Also, there was an insert in the EX: SandStorm theme decks (not sure if it was on the EX: Dragon theme decks...) that explained the new premier events. Myserioustrainer posted a transcript of them in an older topic Here.

-marril

Worlds and similar big events like the ECSTS/WCSTS have all been held during the summer, with qualifiing tournaments leading up to the big event beginning during the spring. I would imagine this will be the same way Pokemon Organized Play will schedule things, mostly because the holiday season is hectic for retailers running the Pokemon League.

From what I've heard, this is the way I think things will work out:

-Players will play in their local league to recieve points on the Gym Ladder League. The top players gain entry into the "invite only" City Championships (more regional versus city).
-Players will have an opportunity to have a seat in the State Championships if they manage to rank high in the City Championships.
-Those who compete in the State Championships are probably trying to win invitations to Worlds... no mention of paid trips.
-Worlds, as you might have already assumed, is invite only, either winning invites from State Championships, Gym Challenges, or Stadium Challenges.

Of course I imagine there will be several side events planned at Worlds and State Championships for those who did not make the cut to the invitation only tournament. There should be no question about the prize structure, we've seen how well Pokemon Organized Play has treated players in the last few Primere Events.
-Phil

Last edited:
There should be no question about the prize structure, we've seen how well Pokemon Organized Play has treated players in the last few Primere Events.
-Phil

Excuse me, will you change that in how well the North American players were treated.
This game is far away from being international.

Pokemon Organized Play has supported all distributors will organized play supplies. Apparently what some do with it differs and it is unfortunate that PS Games is not following in the footsteps of North America. I'd suggest contacting both, PS Games and Pokemon Organized Play, in order to bring it to their attention... I don't think posting it here and in the tournament forum will do much aside from supportive comments. The only way to fix this problem is to talk to both.
-Phil

Dear Phil,
I spend the last 4 weeks with mailing to both. Trying to get everything solved.
Nothing helped, still waiting on answers of POP.

I don't know if running a league is also part of OP.
But the latest news is, stores overhere without a league have promokits.
My league with 50 players has no kit recieved.
This board is the only way to try to get answers or help.

But I understand the message, contact POP and when you don't get answers it's my problem. I should not post anything when i'm frustrated.

Rainbowgym

You are mistaken THIS IS NOT THE PLACE to get answers nor help.
*Well PUI's assistance that is...

What you are doing is correct. Contacting PUI should be your TOP priority.
AND we all know, outside the USA is a frustrating process.

*wish it did not have to be...

Last edited:
Because this is a topic about OP structure.
Does running a league falls under OP.

Today we are told we are not getting leaguekits, the national distributor doesn't want us to run league.

This means 90 players disappointed.

Well it says coming 2004, so it isn't like they are just "coming soon"'n us just to make themselves look good. Remember, this is Nintendo's first year of running pokemon. They haven't even had a year to work out anything. Give them a year and come back and they will have provided us with everything they say they will. Trust me.

Hey Phil, regarding the city champs... do you think that only league players will be able to enter (as you said they'd probably get an invite to it from the leagues). I know you don't exactly know right now, but what are your thoughts about it. I don't have a league around me, I just head up to st. louis for the pre-releases and some other big stuff, so a City CHamps would be something I would want to enter.... but I wouldn't have any league points. Just asking what you would think.

Yeah, I really do think that POP is going to make this invite only, for several reasons:

-To support League Attendance
-Make sure Gym Leaders are teaching players the correct rules
-To encourage retailers to sign up for organized play

However I do think there needs to be another plan for those, like you and others who have no access to a league, to enter a qualifying event before the actual City Championships. The qualifying event should allow the top eight or sixteen to attend the City Championships. This would still encourage players to attend Leagues if the qualifier was held at a League location.

Otherwise, I think we'll see a very low attendance by the time players make it to State. There just is not enough league participation yet.
-Phil

are you guys kidding? City Championships will be invitation-only? It'll never happen that way. Only Worlds will be invitation-only, nothing more.

SteveP said:
are you guys kidding? City Championships will be invitation-only? It'll never happen that way. Only Worlds will be invitation-only, nothing more.

What's with the "top four (in Gym Ladder) will represent your league as a team" then? If the Gym Ladder only ranks players, with no compensation like invitations, there is no incentive to even participating in that program. It takes more time for the person running the League to fill out the paperwork and record results. They would be waisting that time for nothing? I just dont see the point behind it.
-Phil

GLPhil, I think you're assuming something that's not there. FYI, here's the Gym Ladder info from pokemon-tcg.com:

Pokémon‑e Organized Play will sponsor multiple seasons of the Gym Ladder Leagues. Each Ladder season offers exciting prizes and better yet, each player receives points based on their finish position.

There's certainly nothing there about Top 4 or invitations. Only that participants may earn prizes and somekind of points. What those points mean is anyone's guess. But, I highly doubt that points or Gym Ladder rankings will be required to participate at City or State Championships. Those points and/or rankings MIGHT get you a bye or two or three, but they certainly won't be required to participate.

Just a question to all you "invitationalists." What do you mean by invitation? A free trip? No entry fees? What?

Last edited:
Sigh okay one last time and hope fully everyone hears me on this one, this is how the entire POP premeire event structure is last known to work. Any of my personal thoughts are written in this color.

Pokémon League

This is where players can compete in fun Pokemon-e TCG play and other activities. Here you can work to earn cool promo cards as well. See the locator at http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/leagues to find a league near you. Well this has gotten underway without any problems. I am thankful that Nintendo allows me to run the league the way I see fit.

Pokémon Tournaments

This is where players can compete in a variety of fun constructed and limitied events. See the tournament locator at http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/tournaments to find the next great event near you. Here you can also find the POP Floor Rules. Yes everything is in order here. Remember please try to compete in as many Modified Tournaments as possible to try to improve your ranking so that you can you may be invited to the next World Championship.

Prereleases

This special premeire event is where you can get cards from the newest set before it is even released! You also get a special prerelease edition card from that set for playing. So far there have been EX: Sandstorm and EX: Dragons for Prerelease events. These events really are a fun time and Pokémon Organized Play has really done a good job getting them going.[/color]

Gym Ladder League Coming Soon

This special competition that runs with Pokémon League, is where players try to out do other players in Pokémon-e TCG game challenges. How it works, players are randomly sorted on to a "ladder", the idea is to reach the highest place on that ladder and stay there. This is done by challenging higher placed players on the ladder. You can only challenge a player that is only four steps above you. The challenger and defender plays a battle of Pokémon-e TCG. (What format? That is yet to be revealed.) If the challenger wins, the defender and any other players above the challenger on the ladder fall down one spot on the ladder. If the defender wins, nothing happens. Details are yet to come but I am willing to guess that you can only make so many challenges in one session of league, or you can only challenge the same person once. Now the top three players (not four), are invited as a League's Team to the next City (or possibly directly to State) Championship. All players do earn a special promo card for simply participating. There may be other prizes at organizer's decision. Today I wonder if this program isn't under reconsideration, because it is now late for it to come out (it was scheduled for late fall 2003). It is also very complex for a league program too, so it will be interesting to see if it will fly or not.

City/State Championships coming soon

Teams selected from Gym Ladders and any player can participate in City/State Championships. Players compete for big product prizes and I would think the K Value would be upgraded from 8. At this time there is no known plans for these events to be qualifiers to worlds. I think there will only be City Championships in states that have quite a few leagues in their state, otherwise I would think Gym Ladder teams directly go to State events. Just a fun Modified Constructed Tournament to see if your the best in your town and state. Well I already know that I am the best in my Town and State because I live in Cheyenne WY, where anything Pokemon hasn't happened in the last seven months! They only way I earn a rating is because I go to Colorado tournaments, so therefore I am the best (by default). Anyways I think these too are under question whether they will be operated or not. I wouldn't cry if we didn't get them.

Gym Challenges and Stadium Challenges coming soon

If you remember in 2002, you'll know that Gym Challenges are local qualifing tournaments for the World Championship, while Stadium Challenges are convention like 1 to 2 day qualifiers filled with tons of other events and activities. Either way participants can win an all expense paid trip to the Pokemon World Championship. This year I think there will be only a winner from each age division (10 and under, 11-14, and 15 and up) that can win the trip and invite. Whatever the case, I think these events will definitly come about.

World Championship coming soon

It simply is what it says. The world championship is where invited only players fight in the toughest most important tournament in their lives. Last year the event was run best of three games per match, which is a really fair and fun way to play. There is also all sorts of side events for non-qualified players. Not to mention many other activities. This is the event that beats any pokemon event. This is the World Championship! Currently known, players will be invitied in two ways: by winning a Gym Challenge or Stadium Challenge in their age division, or by earning a high POP ranking by participating in Modified format events. (Oh, I am ready, ready, ready again to go back to this. This is a really fun event to play in and I really look forward to it.

There you have it and that is how each event works with each other. Hopefully I should have to chant this again. (Yeah right!)

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but Im almost sure I heard from a reliable source the the City Championships would start in Feb. with Worlds taking place in June.

Last edited:
Sneasel - While that is a possibilty, i do not see it happening because that would mean that is only 2 months away. Chances are they would announce it in advance within the next week, but hey that would be great. Worlds in June? I'm not complaining. We'll see and whoever said give Nintendo a year.....Um we will have even more quit by then if they don't have worlds etc by then. One thing they do need to do is KEEP the FORMAT EON. It is great and going to RS On isn't a good idea because we haven't even got to see what the best decks are in EON. We have all been playtesting and holding tournies with EON why switch? I would be aggravated if they did, but if it so happened that Worlds was in June i would take it.

sneaselsrevenge said:
I may be wrong, but Im almost sure I heard from a reliable source the the City Championships would start in Feb. with Worlds taking place in June.
...and what would your reliable source be? Not gruding against you, I am curious where you heard this when the POP site itself has yet to reveal.

Rainbowgym,
Leagues are, like tournaments, parts of POP.
As this topic talks about the OP structure, I think that league questions are not out of topic.

As we all know, PUI in the USA, and local distributors in Europe, decide who has a league and who can be TO, IOW who can be involved in POP.

I know Rainbowgym and the people who are working with her, and I'm sure she has done a great job as GL and TO for a very long time. They are really appreciated in their country, and these people have a lot of experience as GL, TO or judge.

I don't want to turn this into a personal question, or into a new Europe/USA question, but it has never been clear to me how the decision to give a league or to accept a TO was taken. Based on the experience, on the 'mastering level' of the game ? If it is based on that, very few people will have a league in Europe as Rainbowgym is one of the most experienced GL/TO in Europe. ;)

Do people in the USA who were GL, TO or judge for Wizards have been refused by PUI ?

I do agree with the idea that personal decisions must be discussed by email between PUI and the people directly involved. But these decisions, and their implications, have an influence on the base of the OP structure, ... the people who are, or want to be, directly involved in POP without who POP will never be possible ;)

Scizor said:
Sneasel - While that is a possibilty, i do not see it happening because that would mean that is only 2 months away. Chances are they would announce it in advance within the next week, but hey that would be great. Worlds in June? I'm not complaining. We'll see and whoever said give Nintendo a year.....Um we will have even more quit by then if they don't have worlds etc by then. One thing they do need to do is KEEP the FORMAT EON. It is great and going to RS On isn't a good idea because we haven't even got to see what the best decks are in EON. We have all been playtesting and holding tournies with EON why switch? I would be aggravated if they did, but if it so happened that Worlds was in June i would take it.

Well. the City Championships have been announced for February like I said. As far as my source? Its someone well known in the PTCG community and has been in near constant contact with Nintendo the past couple months for various reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back