Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Outcome of a Best of 3 During Swiss Rounds

DarK_Yojimbo

Hi, I am wondering what differs between these two wordings in a best of 3 in Swiss Rounds.

If time is called after game 2 has been resolved but before the starting player for a Sudden Death game has been determined, the winner of game 1 wins the match.

If time is called after the game 2 winner has been determined but before the starting player for game 3 has been determined, the match results in a tie.

This is under section 8.3 in the tournament rules so is referring to Swiss rounds only. There are no sudden deaths in a BO3 during Swiss rounds? So therefore is the first line that says the winner of game 1 wins the match void and not applicable in any situation?

Also are these Swiss round rules used in leagues? (Not league challenges but normal leagues)

Without seeing the associated text, it seems that sentence one is referring to a Game 2 that ended with both players meeting the same number of win conditions. Since time had not been called at the point that Game 2 finished in an actual tie, an actual, real honest-to-gosh Sudden Death game was going to be played, just to determine the winner of Game 2.
Since the match ended before that Sudden Death game started, the only Game with a winner was Game 1 and so that determines who won the match.

The second sentence refers to the normal situation where there was a winner determined for Game 2, but Game 3 hasn't been started yet.

Your confusion is caused by the common, but incorrect, use of the term "Sudden Death" to refer to the continuation of an incomplete game until a winner can be determined by prize count. That is not Sudden Death and I slap my judges on their wrist when they refer to it as such.

Tournament Rules do not (necessarily) apply to League Games. They are totally separate styles of play.
Some leagues choose some or all Tournament Rules to apply to their League. Check with your League Leader on how their league is run.

Back