Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

PA Gym Challenge Report

plaidlesspez

I came into the tourny with the mindset of either I win the whole thing or I fail. I knew a lot was on the line so I came with my A game and my best deck. I thought my deck could beat almost anything, but in the Semis I found out what beats it. Here is the deck then report:

Pokemon-17
3 Team Aqua’s Electrike
4 Team Aqua’s Manectric
3 Team Aqua’s Chinchou
4 Team Aqua’s Lanturn
3 Suicune ex

Trainers-27
4 Warp Point
4 Professor Oak’s Research
4 Team Aqua Conspirator
4 Archie
3 Copycat
2 Professor Birch
2 Oracle
2 Crystal Shard
2 Team Aqua Hideout

Energy-16
10 Water
6 Lightning

This was the best version of the deck I came up with and it didn't fail me, it just wasn't able to beat one deck I thought I'd beat.

Round 1: vs Random deck
He didn't really have any type of deck really. It took me a few turns to get an evolution, but once I did I won easily. 6-0 in prizes.
1-0

Round 2: vs Magma/Mewtwo ex
This deck was pretty random too and I got a quick Suicune out and won 6-2 in prizes.
2-0

Round 3: vs Swampert/Suicune
This version of the deck wasn't the best version there is, but it was ok. I started off mulliganning 3 times but then I got turn 2 Suicune ex attacking, which I needed or else I would have lost. He managed to get a quick Swampert ex which scares me, but I hit it for 100 with Suicune so he couldn't really bring it back out since it would be KO'd. I end up winning in prizes 6-1.
3-0

Round 4: vs Jeremy (Venusaur) with RAMBO
I didn't want to face Jeremy since we play on Apprentice a lot and we are buds. He usually beats me on Apprentice, so I knew it would be a tough battle. Jeremy draws crap for most of the game while I slowly accumulate my prizes. His dumb Manectric screwed me up cause it OHKO's Suicune. He eventually got Bex out but time ran before he could Volcanic Ash my Suicune ex for his last two prizes. I win 5-4 in prizes with time running out.
4-0

Round 5: vs Josh with Bellossom/Magneton/Delcatty
Josh is my good friend and he slept over the night before playtesting with me. I had beaten him most of the games we played. Because we're friends and if we were to ID, we'd both make the top 8, we do just that. We play for fun and I win. I was really surprised how well he did. He came into the tourny with the mindset of just try my best and he ends up undefeated going into the top 8. He had no expectations at all.
4-0-1

Round 6: vs Shane with Muk ex/Umbreon/Roselia
This game didn't matter too much since we were both in the top 8 already. He ends up with a turn 2 powered up Muk ex and wins on the third turn. I ran out of basics.
4-1-1

Now for the top 8 which is 2/3. These are the standings:
1. Josh (Bellossom/Magneton/Delcatty)
2. Vince (Kingdra ex/Wobby)
3. Shane (Muk ex/Umbreon/Roselia)
4. Me (TA Lanturn/TA Manectric/Suicune ex)
5. Jeremy (RAMBO)
6. Joe (BAR)
7. Dave (Typhlosion ex/Blaze)
8. Tim (Omastar/Cacturne)

This top 8 had much more variety than at states, which was almost all Blaze. I have to play Jeremy again which sucked cause I hate having to play friends in tournies, especially big ones like this.
Quarter Finals vs Jeremy with RAMBO
Game 1: I get turn 2 Manectric and KO his lone Electrike.
1-0
Game 2: He gets more stuff out than me and wins pretty easily.
1-1
Game 3: I get a perfect set up with Warp Points and turn 2 50 Suicune so I end up winning easy.
2-1

Semi Finals vs Vince with Kingdra ex
Ok, I thought my deck had an advantage over Kingdra. I had never actually tested against it though. I soon found out he had the advantage over me.
Game 1: I had something attacking turn 2 for 50. He sent up a Seadra thinking I wouldn't get the turn 2 50 but I did and once I KO'd that he just gave up.
1-0
Game 2: I kept confusing his Kindgra but I could never really get anything going.
1-1
Game 3: I get a good start, and jump ahead in prizes by a few, but he slowly comes back. Since I wasn't able to OHKO Kingdra, he was able to Nurse it and he could pick off my damaged Lanturns on the bench. He also always had boost ready to OHKO me. It was close but I end up loosing 5-6 in prizes.
1-2

I came up short of my goal. I did well, but I just underestimated Kingdra. I thought my deck naturally had an advantage over it but it really had a disadvantage. He was able to OHKO me, I couldn't. He was also able to pick off damaged Lanturns on the bench. I was faster than him, but not by enough. Vince ended up loosing to Joe who used BAR in the finals. Congratulations Joe! Good luck at Worlds!

Props:
To Josh for making semis along with me using a completely red face paint deck. And also for keeping me company so I wasn't bored. (go our league!)
To Jeremy for being a good sport. It must have been tough loosing to me especially when you had bad draws most of the time. Also thanks for hanging out with me and Josh.
To Mr. Grass for lending me a card and finding out if Josh and I could ID and still make top 8.
To me pulling my second Blaze ex.
To Joe for winning (good luck at worlds)
To the top 8 for there being variety in decks.

Slops:
To Kindgra for beating me. :p
To stackers (you know who you are)
To the Flyers for loosing

Last edited:
Good job Plaid, nice deck btw. Sucks you lost to Kingdra but really without anything being able to OHKO it i dunno how easy of a matchup it woulda been after it came out. 2 Questions tho, 1st why no nurse? second why no reversal?

GJ getting 3rd/4th!
tA

Good showing with another Team Aqua deck. It's nice to see all the variety of decks but BAR still won it.

What division btw?

Johnny- Plaid's in 15+ I belive. GJ Plaid!! I'm happy to see that you did so well with the rogue deck. I'd still pick Aqua's Kyogre over Suicune ex, but that's just me. ;)

~Chu

Awwwww so Jermy didn't win either? =( Ya at these GC's it really is all or nothing. But very good job, I would not have expected you to have done so well with a rogue deck. You should be proud of yourself ^_^

Do you have any more GC's your going to? And are you going to Nationals?

~Colin

TheAnswer3, I was figuring I'd get OHKO'd most of the time. I guess I could have taken TA Hideout out for 2 of em. Nurse probably would have helped me out more than Hideout come to think of it. And I had reversal in, but I took em out for warp point, which helped me out a lot more than reversal would have.

JohnnyBlaze, I'm in 15+.

Magnechu and Swanton, thanks for the compliments. I am sorta proud, but I was guaranteeing to win the tourny and I didn't, but I did show that Aqua Pwnage is viable. I might be able to go the the NJ GC, but it's kinda far away. I may go to the Stadium Challenge but a new set will be rotated in by then, so I dunno what deck I'd use then. BTW, when/where is nationals?

plaidlesspez said:
To stackers (you know who you are)

Haha. If I'm not mistaken, one of them was pulling the same tricks at the Aqua/Magma pre-release. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to beat the snot out of them again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please tell me you both are going to another GC or a SC or Nationals!

Back