Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Patriarch's Nationals report!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus

Iron Chef - Master Emeritus
I JUST got back from Nats...I JUST got back from a weekend full of nothing but POKEMON!!! What do I do???

Write a tournament report after playtesting two secret decks o_O"""

~~~Thursday~~~

Nothing really happens today until nightfall, 'cause I'm still back in Texas! Solesy gets to my place, and immediately we hit the books (ie CARD books...I'm reading novels, sure, but not during the trip!). We play a couple monarchy VS matrix games which I win, but other than that, we just goof off on the internet and such. We get to sleep at a grand old time of around 3AM...juuuuust great, but not before Ryan can make fun of me for my sister working in a panty store...nonono face.

~~~Friday~~~

We get up HELLUH early with my mom to catch the plane, and really the first half of all day is flying flying FLYING :rolleyes:

~~~Saturday~~~

Mind you, I'll have MUCH MORE to the report soon, but right now, all I can type up are matches:::

Round 1: Ludicolo VS Sean Foisy/SomethingElse (Ludicolo)

Oh great, Mirror! To make it worse, the guy that always gets 1st seed at Michigan X/. Well, I win the flip, and get a typical sars setup, run for jirachi, etc. He ummm...doesn't. My setup begins to charge out of the gates even more, when he's finally building up. I then opt for a different strategy vs ludi: rather than let him take the first prize so I can scramble him, I simply retreated, and began pounding away with ludicolo. He said that he made a minor misplay along the line, not bringing up his breloom to OHKO my ludicolo, but it must have not been that big of a deal. For a while it's back and forth, but my superior setup won out for me. Sorry, Sean (1-0)

Round 2: Ludicolo VS Patrick Kewley/Dark Sneasel (Hariyama)

Interesting matchup...I would say it's close, certainly! For starters, when I go to sar's, I find that two of my lotads, a slugma, and a jirachi dx are ALL prized! YUCK. However, his setup seems awkward. He finally gets out Yama, and begins to attack. Luckily, since I sar'd for two dunsparce earlier, I am able to Bianchi him (flip at least two heads on sudden flash in a row). This gives me just enough time to recover, and start pounding with Ludicolo. At one point in the game, I even discarded most of my hand just for healing steps! The game was mine right before time, I think 0-3 in prizes. GG Patrick (2-0)

Round 3: Ludicolo VS Vileplume/Kingdra

He seems to get a weak start (lone oddish) vs my superior one (something+swoop! to pull a dunsparce). I began to setup out of nowhere and take this game under control. I make a key play in judgment as to whether or not I drop my desert ruins, and since I did, I was able to put 2 valuable counters on his upcoming vileplume ex! I make a misplay as to what I should smoothe over for, but it turns out to not hurt me too much (well yeah, it did, he KO'ed my lombre and ludicolo). However, my 4-3-4 line of Ludicolo definitely paid off this game, as I immediately take back board control, and play around the Pokemon he throws at me. Sorry man, and nice meeting you! =( (3-0)

Round 4: Ludicolo VS Matt Gillespie/Snowball 21 (Medicham ex)

This is a very interesting game. I start with Lone slugma, but that isn't necessarily that bad in this matchup, because I can collect, and pound his stuff with Magcargo. I do just that, and he begins to get the solid Medicham ex setup. Since Steven's Advice is useless in this matchup, I use a rather laaaaarge copycat on him to get a good hand, and begin to setup big time. When I KO his first two medichams after some back-and-forth hitting, it seems like he's out for the count, since his steven's advicing and just drawing in general is failing for him. However, he again sets up Medicham, and with my scrambles not working, I'm functioning with little on my side. Eventually I have two reversals in my hand: if I can just reversal out his meditite at that moment, not only can i be a prize closer from winning, but I have one last chance to smoothe over (for the game-winning energy). Both of my pokemon reversals flip tails, and eventually he is able to pure power "lock" me for game. GG Matt! (3-1)

Round 5: Ludicolo VS Pooka Sucevich (Metagross)

I get a typical start (random pokemon, and in this case, jirachi w/ swoop) VS his not-so typical one (no energy dunsparce start). So I strike and run, and begin the typical setup. He's just floating for a bit. I knew that this was my opportunity, so when I celio's for my first magcargo, I find that the 2nd one is, well...prized. So I try for an aggressive start, ko'ing anything in my ludi's way. He metal reverses up my magcargo. I draw, smoothe over, and find that my vital ATM (rock) is prized vs him, after he's candied 3 pokemon! In the middle of the game, he tells me that he also has all of his metangs (and your pidgeotto too, or no?) prized. In the end, it was whoever's prizes were worse in this awkward matchup, and it turned out that mine were. Good game, Pooka Sucevich (3-2)

Round 6: Ludicolo VS Laura Lathem (Dragonite)

Ugh, great. Lotad and Slugma with nothing to back them up. She starts out by dragging off slugma, but I quickly rebound and draw into some good seutp stuff. Either her luck or consistency is lacking, so she really tries her hardest to think about the next move...well, she eventually can ko me, but by that time, I already have a full setup when she just has a couple random Pokemon. She plays a couple interesting moves, such as ATM (ice) to halt my attack, but I am able to use better plays to get around hers, such as warp pointing and crystal sharding, to guarantee that she can't evolve her dratini, then wally's training. After she thinks a REALLY long time on some move-making (I had to issue my "please be considerate of the time" phrase I use against the Matt Toeniskoetters of the world...just kidding! :p), it's in my hands, and I win the game. Sorry, Laura (4-2)

Round 7: Ludicolo VS Ryan Soles (Matrix)

I get a legit start, while he gets a lone feebas (ewww). Eventually, his illegitimate start blossoms into a T1 pidgeot, and sars'ing. Both of us are setting up, and since I knew that we would win on prizes (Ryan's games mostly went to sudden death all day), I nab the first one. It's pretty much back and forth from there, when there are only two minutes left on the clock, I use some powers, look through various things on the board, contemplate my reversal for a brief few seconds, and OOPS! The clock is down, and I flip the hopefully game-winning reversal...tails. I Go onto lose in...you guessed it, Sudden Death. GG solesy.

Round 8: Ludicolo VS

~~~Sunday~~~

~~~Monday~~~

Uhhh...I'll finish this eventually

Last edited:
Rulemaster said:
nice meeting you patriarch...glad you didnt puke on me

He illegally runs 50 rockets admins in his deck, so when i had 1 prize left, he just kept admining me :) Just kidding, i love ya kets, good job.

Great Job!
I LOVE Ludicargo! It's an awesomely fast and fun and surprisingly competitive deck and i am glad to see someone do well with it.
GJ again!
(I am not sure but did I by any chance meet or see you at SA and Houston because I don't remember what you look like)

It was really nice meeting you and it was a great matchup. Too bad it came down to the high roll and reversal flips. That's exactly how I lost in T32...not going first in games 1 and 3...so I feel your pain.

Jacy-Nice seeing you too! Now don't steal my hat, and things are cool :nonono:

Celio #1/Pokewisconsin: Sorry, but at least I was a form of entertainment! ^_^"" You are Matt, right?

Celio #2/Rule Master: and you...Eric?

CFK-I didn't masterfully outplay you. As a matter of fact, celio's for magcargo over another basic was a calculated risk. If the calculated risk pays off, then I hit the jackpot (that magcargo carried me to a win, it really did), or the end of the game. The full match details will be up soon. Yeahhhh, I love you too, CFK :p

Prof Elm-Nah, I wasn't there at Houston or SA. I WAS there at TX States though! Yes, you are right, Ludicargo is an amazing deck with loads of potential.

Snowball21-Great to meet you, and good job T32'ing. Now that I think about it, you weren't drawing too well, so maybe me flipping those tails on reversal balanced things out :smile:

Fulop: Yay, CFK's losing to Luuuudi, CFK's losing to Luuuudi =P

Sceptile Rancher: Yes...all over.

Whoever I played in round 3-Dude, I don't know your name, but I apologize for being just terrible to you. I'm normally very polite in matches, but after vomiting and wasting seven bucks on the awful, greasy food, I could have easily been set off by the tiniest thing, and sadly, you were there. Mr. Vileplume dude, you are one cool guy, and deserve a SotG award for dealing with me.

Patriarch said:
Round 3: Ludicolo VS Vileplume/Kingdra

He seems to get a weak start (lone oddish) vs my superior one (something+swoop! to pull a dunsparce). I began to setup out of nowhere and take this game under control. I make a key play in judgment as to whether or not I drop my desert ruins, and since I did, I was able to put 2 valuable counters on his upcoming vileplume ex! I make a misplay as to what I should smoothe over for, but it turns out to not hurt me too much (well yeah, it did, he KO'ed my lombre and ludicolo). However, my 4-3-4 line of Ludicolo definitely paid off this game, as I immediately take back board control, and play around the Pokemon he throws at me. Sorry man, and nice meeting you! =( (3-0)

That was me that you played third round. My start wasn't as weak as I was letting on, I did have the Gloom in hand, and I did hit a 4th turn Vileplume, but I had no backup for it. That Ruins was key, not to mention the Reversal you hit to get the first swing at Plume! That Reversal is really what cost me both advantage, and in the long run, the game itself. Not that I would have won if it had come up tails, but I would have had the first swing, and I wouldn't have been attacking with 90 damage on Plume, and no Heal Dance in play! Your 4-3-4 line was also very important, as you didn't depend on Candy, which is a large part of my strategy. I think you managed to get all three Lombre into Ludicolo, as I know I KOed two Ludicolo. Great game, hope to see you later on! (Hopefully, in a Top cut somewhere :thumb: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back