Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Patrick T's Top 16 Nats Report

Ultra Upaa

Ok, most of you don’t know me since I’m not a big-name player. I did t. 8 last year at nats, but my ranking this year is only so-so. I decide to run Mario since it seems to have the best overall matchups. I’m running about 50-50 against infernape, which I’m expecting to see, but it does so well against other top decks, I’ve gotta run it. My dad predicts at least one t.1 victory during swiss. Turns out he was right… We go up with my sister, mom, dad, and Time for Pain. My dad is judging in Masters and my sister is going to play some casual games and learn D & D. and maybe werewolf. Turns out she loves the TFG which is being demo’d next door. She also gets the Turtwig suit on during the Professor cup. She loves Turtwig, so she’s very happy!! Ben S isn’t playing so we talk some about what I’ll be facing. He’s a really great player and good guy—I hope you nail worlds, Ben!! I also chilled with the Andersons.

Here’s my list (since I missed the cut for worlds, I might as well share it)

Pokes (16)
4 Riolu
3 Lucario
4 Machop DP
2 Machoke PK
2 Machamp Revenge
1 Machamp PK

Trainers (29)
4 Transceiver
3 Adventurer
1 Lass
1 Scientist
2 Mentor
4 Plus Power
3 Cursed Stone
3 Candy
1 Briney
1 Crystal Shard
3 Cessation Crystal
3 Castaway

Energy (15)
13 Fighting
2 DRE

Round 1 Matthew L. with Raieggs
I open with a riolu and have a lucario, a fighting, and some other cards.
All he has is one pokemon, I hope it's a pikachu or castform. Pikachu, yessss! He is going first which is nice, he passes. I attatch a fighting and wild kick ftw.
1-0

Round 2 Elissa H. with infernape
Here we go—I know this will be tough. The matchup is a tough one to begin with, and Elissa is a very good player
I open with a machop and have a machoke, machamp, dre,fighting energy and a mentor.
She has a lone skitty and is going first, and fails her tail whip. I mentor for two riolus and a machop and attack for 40.She mentors for a budew a chimchar and Celibi ex, retreats for budew, uses errand running for a trans. I evolve attatch a dre and knock out the budew, she can't really do anything after that. Good game, Elissa!
2-0

Round 3 Bobby M. with Ambush
I beat Bobby during Swiss last year (was I the only one?) but I doubt he remembers me.
He has a horrible hand I have a good hand nuf' said. Bobby’s an awesome player—it just goes to show you that a bad hand in this game is deadly.
3-0

Round 4 Joe G. with bancham
I don't really remember much I do remember bringing out PKMachamp and knocking out his Banette ex for the last 2 prizes.Thanks to overzealous, brick smash is doing 70 per turn since resistance doensn’t count.
4-0

Round 5 Kevin W. with new age four corners
I draw my hand when a judge comes over and does a random deck check on our decks everything checked out.
I draw my new hand it's o.k. When we flip our pokemon over he has a snorunt attatches and passes. I draw attatch use wild kick which fails:(.He lannetes for a slugma a diglet and a pikachu then he plays a spoink from his hand. From this point it becomes a knock down drag out. Later on I'm at three prizes and he's at two. I have a DP machamp out and he as a jirachi ex out. I dynamic punch and hit him for 90 and knock it out he can't do anything after that.
5-0

Round 6 Jeremy S. (Ancient pokemon trainer) with ambush
I get out three lucarios and a machamp he trys to stay alive with briney's but it didn't work.
6-0
At this point, I realize I’m probably in. My tie break is godly, so even a 6-2 should put me in for sure.

Round 7 Justin C with Raieggs
T1 Machamp for me, lone H Magnemite for him. He got an executor and arbok out, but by that point I had set up. GG
7-0

Round 8
Andy M with Metanite
Bad hand for me, he gets a strong set up. Oh, well, it was bound to happen sooner or later!!
7-1
No one is undefeated and I find that I am the #1 seed (first time ever). I went back to the room, unwind with toontown, and went to sleep. Johnny stays out half the night at the Mutant draft and having fun. At least he stays out of trouble.

Sunday
T 32 vs Chelsea B w Ludicargo w/Lanturn tech
I never playtested against this, :eek: although I used to play Ludi when it first came out. During our match, Chelsea lets me know that she hasn’t played in a while so I know that I’ll lose big points if I lose this one.
G1 She gets speed magcargo out, but I cessation it. I can’t get energy though, so I lose.
G2 Quick Lucarios for me (2) but she scrambles a lanturn and hits one for 90. I have Machop on the bench and an active Lucario. I attach energy and cessation to Lucario, and use feint for 60 due to weakness. She draws and lays down celio’s, rare candys to ludicolo, smooth overs, swing dance, drops the windstorm from smooth over… then I notice my cessation crystal---dooohhh! We call judge, he calls SD Pokemom over and they decide on a prize card penalty. I know Chelsea has a scramble on the field with solid rage attached too, so I refuse the prize card. She hits me for 50, on my turn a rare candy to revenge machamp, attach fighting to lucario, play cursed stone, and aura sphere to knock out lanturn and put 20 on swing dance ludicolo. She takes down lucario, then cursed stone kicks in. I bring up machamp and rare candy into another one on my bench. I attach DRE to active machamp and revenge for the KO. She brings up a lotad, rare candies into ludicolo (happy dance) with 2 energies already on it. She attaches a scramble and water punches. But she gets only 1 out of 5 heads! I attach, dynamic punch, and get the heads confusing ludicolo. Cursed stone keeps eating its hp, too. She smooth overs to get a windstorm and I lose cursed stone. She fails a confusion check and knocks herself out. She puts up a lanturn and I briney damaged Machamp and bring up my benched one. Attach fighting and 2 PP for 80 and the KO. She doesn’t recover from there on.
G3 She opens with a bad hand. I get speed lucarios (2) cessation and cursed stone out quickly. I agro aura sphere and with cursed stone out its pretty much 6-0. GG

T 16 vs Daniel C
G1 He goes first with Chimchar. I open with 1 riolu. He attacks. I draw, candy to lucario, drop 2 PP, and attach fighting. Feint = 50 = KO = GG

G2 He get infernape up amazingly fast. I have nothing at all, I can see there’s no way out, so I scoop.

G3
I go second. He opens only with Skitty!! I have one machop—a fighting, and a PP. I think I have this one. He draws attaches, and tail whips and flips heads. I look for some way to evolve, don’t get it, attach and pass. He tail whips again! Skitty is just like sitting there and I can’t kick it!! He mentors and sets up beautifully and I lose the match. Drats!! I HATE tail whip!!!!

So, I end at 8-2, ninth place overall. My rating goes up a bunch but not enough for Hawaii. But hey, 18th place in NA and 1st in VA for all age groups isn’t bad, right??

Props
Ben S for supporting me!
Tad M for doing great in Jrs
Arron for sticking with it and not dropping.
My dad for driving me up instead of just flying up on his own to judge

Slops
Tail Whip Skitty!!!
Judge call in Mike D’s match in Jrs
Senior pairings taking forever

I actually DO remember you now! :D

Good job though, you've proved in the last two nats that you're an excellent player. Hope we can get a real game sometime ;D

(Btw, you weren't the only one, I lost to T2 Dark Slowking by 1 prize with both squirtles prized.)

Time For Pain:ha ha very funny.
King Gengar:What if someone's Mario list didn't do to well couldn't we call their deck Luigi.
APT:Great match!

I saw how you were doing with Mario earlier in the day. I got donked in top 32 so yeah.... But good job, little actually have an eye for what Mario can really do. I was the red headed kid if you saw me, with the white polo.

Awww.... I can't diss a well-built Mario deck. BUT... I would be willing to call the *player* Luigi if they couldn't at least make a 6-3 showing. Is that fair?

Nice showing, Patrick! At least SOMEBODY represented Virginia at this year's National Championship (way to scrub out, Pramawat).

Grinder? =O

Grinder? =O

Are you asking me if I'm going to the grinder? If you are asking me, sadly I can't go.:frown:

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

King Gengar:Just thought I'd put this question out there. Is Mario going to die from the loss of the holon engine?:confused:

Last edited:
GJ UU!!

I was rooting for ya'

I''m thinking of playing Mario as well, maybe you can give me some pointers...

Heck no! Every single deck will suffer from the loss of the Holon Engine, but I've tested Mario extensively without it, and Mario is still excellent, so we will have parity there.

As to the deck itself, I'm working with some interesting variations. Since the next format will not feature Castform in any Holon matrix, no Eeveelutions, very little Lickitung (I assume), and the loss of many other Fighting-weak Pokemon, it will be feasible to feature Lucario, with less Machamp, and add in another Pokemon.

I'll be testing at League until the next Pre-Release, and then we'll see about Battle Roads in the Fall.

Thoughts?

we must now shun tail whip skitty. .... even though i'm playing it.... ohw *hangs head in shame* i guess i'm going to be shunned again.. D: at least mine looks cool!

Good job pat next year you will do amazing since a lot of people move up and u consistently top cut nationals see you next year and thanks for all the props :) good luck next year.

Nice job Pat way to get donk'd. I have been saying it for years, cats are just broken.

Ror

PS The skitty is actually your cat, she is plotting te eventual feline takeover of ohio.

Back