Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Philosophy time space continum

CheeseEX

if you go forward in time then go back farther and stop yourself from going forward in time and thus it never happened so you ent forward agin because your 1st time didnt happen

DISCUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time is just relative. It isn't a physical entity but a label that we put on what already took place, what is happening, and what might happen.

>.> You can't go forward in time. The only thing similar to this that is possible is to travel at near lightspeed, reducing the speed of time reletive to the object traveling near lightspeed, so that when the object stopped, or at least slowed down, *** would have gone through only a fraction of the time the rest of the universe had. Though even this is impossible if you want a human to be able to use it as of now. Even if you could go forward in time by manipulating time speeds like this, you could not then go backward in time.

Also, grammar and spelling dont hurt.

hahaha thegeneral :lol: philosophy is everywhere, all the threads are philosophy threads :eek::wink::smile:

But I laughed when i saw your comment, there have been a lot of them on the thread lately.

Time travel is impossible depending on the reasons for going back.

Example:

I build or purchase a time machine with the desire to go back in time and fix something. I go back in time and do just that. The time line changes and since there is no longer anything to fix, I will never have the desire to build or buy a time machine, and thus I would never go back in time in the first place and would never change the past, thus the past would never be changed and nothing would have been altered....

Nothing would have been altered.

Now then if I went back in time on accident and never had a previous desire to go back in time, then it's possible that any change made could stay changed in the future, but that depends on improbabilties and probabilties I'm not too sure about.

Right, this thread does just seem like it's been created to mock the other Philosophy threads but I'll bite.

Basically you are talking about is a paradox (as opposed to the "time space continum"). A more commonly known paradox of this variety is the Grandfather Paradox, which involves going back in time and killing your grandfather before your fathers (or mothers) conception, thus preventing your own existance.

One scientist (it might have been Hawking, but not sure) theorised that if time travel ever advanced to such a high level that these kind of paradoxes became possible (ie. if human beings were able to choose an exact place and time which they wanted to travel too), then the Universe would simply cancel the paradox out.

For example, if you went back to before the conception of one of your parents in an attempt to kill your grandfather then the attempt may either fail (gun jamming, only being wounded etc.) or it will turn out that the man you thought was your biological grandfather, actually wasn't, and therefore your existance wasn't prevented by his death.

This does seem like the only logically solution to that particular type of paradox, as by nature they are ment to be unsolvable.

Another famous type of paradox is a self-fullfilling paradox, which is where information or an object appears from nowhere.

For example, a older man (or woman) comes up to you and tells you they are from the future and gives you the secret to time travel. You then create a time machine and begin travelling through time. On your travels you find yourself back in your own past and realise that it was you who gave yourself the information regarding time travel and pass on the information once more.
This becomes a paradox as the information never actually originated anywhere, meaning that noone actually invented time travel. The most popular explanation for these type of paradoxes seems to be that after you got the information from yourself, but before you passed it back on, someone else developed time travel in the same way without ever having met you and you observed this information too. Therefore, even though you received the information from yourself first it did orginate from somewhere.

The paradox becomes more complex when it becomes objects rather than information, as going back in time and giving yourself an object would cause the age of the object to rise by an infinite amount (as it is constantly going around the cycle between your past and future selves).
An explanation for this type of paradox is that before you go back in time to give the object to yourself, you replace it with an exact replica, therefore each object only ages one extra cycle rather than an infinite amount. This explanation was given in the short story By His Bootstraps by Robert A. Heinlein (a fantastic read for either paradox fans, time-travel fans or just sci-fi fans in general) in which a character is given a notebook full of information from the future, but before it travels back into the past, he copies up all the notes exactly into a replica notebook, so the books doesn't age infinitly.

There are many other different types of paradox, but I'll don't have time to list them all now, so I'll add more later (probably after work).

hahaha thegeneral :lol: philosophy is everywhere, all the threads are philosophy threads :eek::wink::smile:

But I laughed when i saw your comment, there have been a lot of them on the thread lately.

Haha yes there have! This is my thing on philosophy...I understand it is a way of thinking, exploring extra into the things around us. For example, here is something I do in my life I don't think about and just do:

I love my dogs!

Now, I say I love my dogs because it is a feeling I have correct? But philosophy would say:

"It isn't love, but merely a large sensation of emotion that your brain correlates with your body and your perception of the thought of the emotion you have towards canines," or something along those lines lol.

To me, philosophy is mostly (not completely) just over analyzing things that don't need analyzing in the first place. Sure the grass isn't green & the sky isn't blue, but who really cares? It doesn't affect 99.9% of humanity, nor do they care enough to know that. It doesn't affect my job, my family, my cell phone call, my trip to the store, paying my bills, eating some Taco Bell, or listening to my iPod. Philosophy is just too in depth and over analytical. Just my two cents.

I have already stated before that time-traveling off the 'beaten path' is impossible. 'back', 'past', 'forward', 'future' and even 'present' do not designate time only its presumed momentum. Time-travel is possible if and only if time itself exits and that it exists in an eternal-perefect-memory. Though if this were the case then the 'future' 'past' and 'present' would be access to the time not the time itself i.e. it would be an observing of recollection. Furthermore if time is 'fixed' in the eternal-perfect-memory then so would be the so called traveler that strays from his or her 'beaten path' to witness such time that has or has not already occurred.

Events of time would be an innumerable amount of 'snap-shots' each connected though unique to the other. The setting in motion is what would cause this time-reel to play itself out making each event seem to be a 'momentum' when in fact its not but only appears to be so by the momentum of the time-reel that constitutes the innumerable amount of 'snap-shot' events.

This being the case any event is predetermined and can not change the momentum of the time-reel and even if one event could somehow remove itself from itself it would then cease to exist exist and potentially 'destroying' the time-reel itself. Is time travel possible? Yes though it would cause annihilation of the 'self/event' or of the time-reel itself.

Normally I would refuse to respond when the first post has words that are spelled incorrectly and has no punctuation, but I'll make an exception, who knows why.

So, assume you went back in time to change something, send George Lucas the script for Star Wars for example. So you do so, then you go back to your own time.

So, in doing so, you would have "changed the past", right? Well what if the future that you lived in already held the effects of what you did before you did it, therefor you going back to send that script was what was what had already happened?

Basically I'm saying, it would be impossible to change the past because you going back and trying to change it would be what's supposed to happen.

EDIT. Now I'll read over this and see if it actually makes sense at all...

im just saying if it were possible here let me clear this up i thout i would put up something i have been thinking about for a while since theres so many pepole posting there philosphy stuff

if you have a celebi and thout it would be a good idea to go 2 say 3010.

and you had a terrible time and want 2 errase that expearence from the world/future world.

so you go back and stop yourself form going forward in time.

then that never happened but you couldnt stop yourself from going forward cause you hadnt gone forward yet so you still thout it was a good idea

is that what happens or does it somehow stop it still

ps-sorry i was tired and was about 2 go to bed and was rushed

im just saying if it were possible here let me clear this up i thout i would put up something i have been thinking about for a while since theres so many pepole posting there philosphy stuff

and you had a terrible time and want 2 errase that expearence from the world/future world.

then that never happened but you couldnt stop yourself from going forward cause you hadnt gone forward yet so you still thout it was a good idea

Just watch "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" -- it will answer all your questions.

If I lived int 3010 and didn't enjoy it I would simply return to 2010 and carry on.
I wouldn't go back any earlier to try and convince myself otherwise, because even if the universe managed to prevent a paradox then I would still have the bad memories of living in 3010, those couldn't be erased without creating a paradox.

Chances are if you went back and said to your past self "Don't go to 3010" that would cause your past self to think "Hmm, I wonder why? I'll go and see" and thus the cycle is closed, you only went to the future because you told yourself not to.

Back