Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Plaster of Paras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pajamas

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
I've been working on this in my head for a couple days, trying to figure out if it's a viable deck. Any feedback is appreciated.

Pokemon (10):
4 Paras MT
4 Parasect MT
1 Croagunk MT
1 Toxicroak MT

Trainers (35):
3 Buffer Piece
3 Castaway
3 Celio's Network
2 Crystal Beach
1 Crystal Shard
2 Energy Search
2 Energy Switch
2 Mr. Stone's Project
2 Night Maintenance
1 Quick Ball
3 Rare Candy
2 Roseanne's Research
2 Scott
3 Strength Charm
2 Switch
2 Team Galactic's Mars

Energy (15):
10 Grass Energy
2 Psychic Energy
2 Holon Energy GL
1 Multi Energy

I envision the game typically flowing like this: 10 damage on the first turn, 40 with sleep and poison on the second, and 60 with a self-heal of 20 on the third. Counting the poison, this is a total of 140 damage in three turns. If I start second and happen to have a Rare Candy, then I do 40 with conditions, then 20, then 60. If I somehow get KOed before the third turn, the low energy requirement lets me recover instantly. Toxicroak stays on the bench for his Poke-Body, but it would be just fine to bring him out in a pinch. The Switch and Energy Switch are meant to make it easier to bring out a fresh Paras in the event that Wild Spores is a better move at that moment than Extend Fungus, or if the active Parasect only has one energy. Lots of Tools for that bit of extra oomph when I need it. A few mild disruptions with Crystal Beach and TGM. Rare Candy is also useful if I draw Toxicroak before Croagunk. Once I draw a Scott or a Castaway, I have access to pretty much everything I could need out of the deck.

I know I'll run into a lot of trouble against a fire deck. I'll also have some difficulty with the few grass-resistant Pokemon, but Crystal Shard and Toxicroak can mitigate this to some extent. I do run the risk of having either Croagunk or Toxicroak prized roughly 20% of the time, but it wouldn't kill things to wait on them for a bit. I've considered Venomoth instead of Parasect, but the realistic chance of Parasect doing 40 with poison and sleep on T1 is so very appealing.

Thoughts?

You don't need any Mr Stones Project. Add a Castaway and Crystal Beach for those.
And your trainer engine isn't going to get you a T2 Parasect nearly as often as you'd like.
Take out the Energy search and Energy Switch as well. Getting a Parasect to begin with is more important, So add 3 Quick Balls and another Rosanne's or Great/Dual Ball.
I think you should change the Strength Charm, or at least 2, to pluspower, because you already have so many tools, you won't be able to use Strength Charm when you want to otherwise.
I think you only need one Scott, despite your staduims, because it uses your supporter for the turn, and Castaway can also get you staduims. So for the Scott, add another Draw. And one Multi won't do too much good. Add a Psychic energy for it instead. or leaf. You can search for w/e energy you need with 4 Castaway and 2/3 Rosannes. And TVR>TGM
Okay, so, to sum it up, my suggestions are:

-2 Mr Stones Project
-2 Energy Search
-2 Energy Switch
-2/3 Strength Charm
-1 Scott
-2 Team Galactic's Mars
-1 Multi

+3 Quick Ball
+1 Crystal Beach
+1 Castaway
+1 Rosannes/ Dual/Great Ball
+2/3 Plus Power
+3 TV Reporter
+1 Psychic/Leaf Energy.

Hope I helped.

I've battled a deck like this. It was very interesting. How about some Super Scoop Ups for those Parasect (so you can reuse the effect of the first attack)?

Personally, I don't think Parasect can work on its own.
I think it's perfect match is Venomoth.
A 4-4 Venomoth and 3-3 Parasect could create a very annoying deck.

As for straight Parasect you NEED 4x Super Scoop Up. The ability to use Parasect's first attack multiple times is abusive and amazing.
Also I think 4 Pluspower and 3-4 Strength Charm should be staple in a speed deck build like this one.
Overall it seems nice.
I don't really like the tech Toxicroak though.

Thanks for the suggestions so far... this is really helpful.

With respect to choosing Strength Charm over PlusPower, I like being able to pull one out of my deck on demand with Castaway. If I switched to PlusPower, I'd think that the utility of Castaway would be severely diminished. Also, I'm liking Energy Switch because if I've benched a Parasect and then play another, I can go from one energy to three in one turn. Other than that, the engine modifications sound good.

The addition of 4x Super Scoop Up sounds excellent. I had initially dismissed those out-of-hand, but I definitely could use them.

With respect to the Toxicroak tech, the idea is that I am relieved from having to abuse Parasect's first attack. If the defender is already poisoned, then in many cases it's way better to just do the 60.

As far as the defender waking up and killing me, half the time they don't even get a chance. 40, poison, sleep, then 60. That's 130 in two turns... roughly as much as Kricketune. Half the time I don't take damage, and when I do, I heal 20 from the second attack. Am I missing something?

I haven't really thought about how this compares to most other popular decks, but it seems to me to be unequivocally better than Kricketune, especially in cases where you prize a Kricketot. Wouldn't this start faster and stronger?

Here's my updated deck list.

Pokemon (10):
4 Paras MT
4 Parasect MT
1 Croagunk MT
1 Toxicroak MT

Trainers (36):
3 Buffer Piece
3 Castaway
3 Celio's Network
2 Crystal Beach
1 Crystal Shard
2 Energy Switch
2 Night Maintenance
2 Quick Ball
3 Rare Candy
3 Roseanne's Research
1 Scott
3 Strength Charm
4 Super Scoop Up
2 Switch
2 TV Reporter

Energy (14):
10 Grass Energy
2 Psychic Energy
2 Holon Energy GL

The open questions I have are why I might prefer PlusPower to Strength Charm in this case, and why this isn't faster than a Kricketune deck. Also, what are my odds of actually being able to swing a Parasect on T2? I'm still interested in any other suggestions, too. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back