Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Player, or Leader? Where to go?

Flare Starfire

Hey guys. This his been botherin me for a couple weeks now, pretty much ever since I heard the rumor that the league closest to me is losing its leader due to non-interest on the leaders part. I think PTE is going to continue to run events for Modesto...but with the League Leader gone I think thats pretty much gonna be the end of regular OP for the area. Nearest area after that for me is Cupertino...granted a stellar giant healthy league, but at 3 hours instead of 1. Doh. So, this brings a question to me since I used to assist in league operations (to a small extent, admittedly) when I was in Auburn.

I want to play. I think I'm an ok player skill wise, and I love a good battle. The thrills that come with the big events that Nintendo puts out is like candy to a kid- I can't get enough. Sadly, despite efforts I didn't have what it took to get into the World Championships this year.

The dilemma- I really like to help run events. I maintain my professorship despite my inability to stay active because it means that when I -can- get out, I can help if I'm needed. I can judge, I can do crowd control, just about anything really and I enjoy doing it as much as playing in the event itself. I am as proud of my 2005 WC staff hat and bag as I am of my 2004 WC Binder.

So, if things fall the way I hear they're falling, my area is going to have nothing. I want to help. But (obviously) when it comes to stuff like CCs and PRs, I would be running, not playing. I think I began to earn the respect and trust of the area TO staff at worlds, as I was paired up with lots of them to work with. (Lucky for me. The 10-s were awesome!) I want to do something like that again, too.

So, I'd really like some input from you guys. Especially if you're a TO. Do you still play? What do you play in? I try to hit the local CC, SC, RC, GC, Nats, and of course Worlds itself. Sacrifices have to be made...but I'd like to think that both enjoying the game and helping others to enjoy in kind is at least somewhat possible. I may be too young at 22 for all of this as it stands, but theres one thing I am sure of. I am definatly sticking with Pokemon for the long haul- it's been part of my brain since Red and Blue came out, and getting all 150 of those critters after begging my parents to take me back for Blue version so I could finish the game. *laughs*

Thanks in advance for the advice folks, I appreciate it.
~Flare

Ok, im with you in Region since PTE runs events here. I am a TO and LL, and i get to play because we have 3 TO's in Vegas. We switch off all of our tournaments. Just apply for being a LL and get another person who can be a TO and you should do ok. Remember, a tournament needs 8 people to be sanctioned. If you cannot, cancel the tournament, but you could still technically hold on, just non sanctioned. I help Karl out since he knows i want to help and he has put me on judging staff for 2 events last season (LV CG and NV SC). Just apply to be the new LL and everything should be ok. PM me if you need help. BTW im the same age as you so i know what your going through.

Since PTE will probably be running premier events in your area, they might have their own staff for these events, which will allow you to play. You can (if you qualify) be a League Leader and (if you qualify) even run local events, but if PTE has and will continue to run premier events in your area, why not let them and let them know that you'd be glad to help if needed but would rather play. Some TO's have enough staff already (or are getting them) so it is quite possible that PTE may not even need your help.

So become a LL. Become a TO. Run League. Run local tourneys.
Contact PTE about premier events and how they run them.

Back