Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

PLEASE MOVE!! SPIRITOMB! Key card in the deck, or just a tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinsir52

There are a number of different damage spreading deck running around, each with it's own little twist and strategies. The one thing that they have in common(at least from my experience, in my area) is that they all play the heck out of Spiritomb. I've played him in a few different decks, and he is really, really good. Like, really good. But, I've always played 1 in my decks. In froslass, if 1or more pokes have 20 HP left (or 30, if I'm fighting with Bronzong), Spiritomb will get you the prize(s) and win you the game.
To the contrary, I've seen people play 2-3 Spiritomb in the same deck. While it's good to be able to use cursed breath multiple times, you have to squeeze SSU in your deck if you run multiple copies, or risk them becoming bench-wasters (making you more vulnerable to Dusknoir) or becoming Bronzong bait.
Another problem with multiple Spiritombs is the possibility of starting with him. He has a CC retreat cost, a cruddy attack, and if you start with him, you never get to use Cursed Breath. If you're lucky enough to have Call Energy, he can help setup, but otherwise, you're in a VERY bad position.

Now, my question to you is this:

First, consider both the pros and cons of multiple Spiritombs.

Pros: spreading more and quicker
getting the critical KO's more reliably

Cons: having to make room for SSU
wasting bench space (and helping opponent's dusknoir)
possibility of bad starts
bronzong food

Now, I ask you, should Spiritomb be a central focus of a spread deck's strategy, playing as many as possible? Or should it be just a tech, a searchable PlusPower if you will?

Also, if you have any pros or cons to add, let me know, or if you disagree with any, let me know why? I wanna know what YOU think!

- The Pinsir

Last edited:
Spiritomb is essential in any spread deck but I don't think it should ever go past 2 in a deck. If you've ever started with it in a tournament match you know it's essentially game over unless you have a warp point. But late game as you can search it out with a useless Roseanne's/Bebe's and put that final 10 a benched pokemon to snipe it for the game then it's priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back