Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Poison.dec: How should we build it?

mrdraz07

It's fair to say there's quite a bit of synergy with some of the poison-types in GE and older sets, and we've already seen a few lists. However, what's the best way to build the deck, and which pokemon are the best to use? Here are some of the ideas I've had/seen:

Weezing/Toxicroak
Arbok/Crobat
Weezing/Toxicroak/Arbok
Weezing/Arbok/Crobat w/ Nidoqueen d
Weezing/Crobat
Monarchy w/ Weezing

Does this idea have potential? Discuss!

I wasn't too happy with that idea. It's kinda slow, boring, and everything's pretty low on HP. I really think the 2 most important parts of the deck are Crobat and Weezing, with Arbok being a close third. Crobat's damage spread capabilities are CRAZY.

Arbok:
If opponent's poisoned, he can do 50(which he maxes out at) (80 to gallade or gardevoir)
-if poisoned, then at least 10 in between turns

That's 90 damage so far possible.
You either need 2 weezings to get 110 damage, or FOUR weezings to KO gallade.
Sure, they can die after their turn, but if they get the oppurtunity to retreat/hit you then it's not as good of a deck.

That leads me to believe that arbok alone is not good enough.

Crobat:
It has free retreat, a resistance to gallade, and has 20 more hp, but it's an extra stage.

It's power is pretty nice. That means that if you use it's power vs GG/magmortar:
You do 50(+30 to GG), and up to 80 to GG. The power adds 20, so it's at 70 to mag and 100 to GG.

Now, with a weezing, it's 110 to GG (a magic number) but still very far from magmortar.
Ideally, you will force magmortar and GG to use their rare candies for fear of a 50 damage snipe early game killing a skitty, ralts, cyndaquil, etc.

Toxicroak:
Very low damage maximum, but 10 more HP than arbok, bringing him to 90 which is an odd number. As I've noted in the past, reaching an odd-numbered HP is crucial in this game. 90 is nice for a stage 1. His attack also consistently does at least ~40 damage. You will get the most consistent weezing use with a toxicroak, as the opponent MUST retreat to remove poison, and because you poison any time you attack with toxicroak.

Beware of a few things:
1. Unown G- stops arbok and toxicroak. Holon WP/GL also does a lot of hurt to this deck.
2. Sydney's Stadium- People are thinking about Sydney's stadium with all the status increasing this set has introduced
3. Xatu- People who work with Wailord or Wigglytuff or Primeape might use a Xatu- which REALLY hurts this deck. The opponent gets the same advantage as you do, but without them taking up the cards in the deck for it, or the resources to bring the pokemon into play

This deck doesn't seem to have a reliable answer to Magmortar or GG. Heck, even new decks like wailord or Weavile variants will probably get by this.

Skarmory EX tech is definately needed imo for this format, as it definately discourages them from retreating.

Ariados could also be a nice option, as he makes it cost even more to retreat, which forces your opponent to either deal with the poison or waste lots of Energy to retreat.

Surprised Venomoth wasn't mentioned, as it's somewhat used T2 card even at the moment.

Of course Veno doesn't have poisoning attack and gets owned by Latilock, but Weezing.decs are anyways in some major problems if latilock is put down (maybe taking off Monarchy, but that's slow compared to latilock-using decks..).

I see some of the power/body ideas working well with Skarmory EX and Holon Circle. Just relax and let them faint from poison damage, or spread with poison/Skarmory Ex and take them out later.

Venamoth won't work because your opponent gets todecide when to activate the special condition.

it was a surprise, why u guys didn't mention ariados!!
its body will increased the retreat cost of the oppnt's pkmn,
and its attack olso very good, although the atk power is low!!

Venomoth won't work because your opponent gets todecide when to activate the special condition.
Yeah well, but their only option then is not to attack, which isn't all that preferable either, right? :wink:

it was a surprise, why u guys didn't mention ariados!!
its body will increased the retreat cost of the oppnt's pkmn,
Just for clarification, Ariados increases EVERYONE'S retreat cost other than its own.

I think Venomoth has several good points to work with in this. As Dennis Hawk mentioned above and in the tread he started about Weezing (GE), Venomoth is a decent attacker. 50 for GG is nothing to sneeze at, and when combined with poison at the end of their turn you hit 2 posion cycles before they can do something about it. Depending on the number of Weezing you have out that can really add up quickly.

The poison concept really works well with some card called Blissey.

We have been working with it for a while (2 city wins believe it or not with Crobat), but need to get the trainer engine correct. With the new set I think there are some changes that can be made.

Is it a tournament winning deck...sure it is...in the right metagame. Its a quirky little deck.

I keep thinking that Claydol could really help Crobat work much better. Add a tech Weezing line...

Hmm. Might have to try that.

Drapion would do a decent job with weezing, no ?
The common psychic type and weakness is a problem though, but I guess there would be some room for other attackers like sandslash

Well, the issue with both Drapion and Muk is that they need 3 energy for their poison attack. That's a turn too much that could already have them suffering from poison.

A viable 3-energy-line however could be Venusaur. SW if you feel lucky with flipping, CG if you want to be on the safe side. The built-in double poison on Venusaur CG could be DEVASTATING with the Weezings, it does what Crobat does every turn. Downside is that it can't snipe, so I guess it's ultimately up to personal preference.

Personally, I think the idea with everyone only needing 2 energy to perform their attacks allows for another gamebreaker: play 4 Crystal Beach and see everybody's DRE, Scramble and Boost go useless.

Cradily PK is also intersting, no retreat, and it can help to search multiple weezings

3 energy attack, weak to magmortar, high retreat. Ew.

But it's searchable by Relicanth (for the basic and Holon Fossil), and Fossil Excavator.

Magmortar and other sniping decks will drive you nuts, 'cause killing Weezings is... Really bad. Almost as mad as how Xatu will make you. I suppose the Cradily line lets you tech in Bastiodon, who can at least save your bench, as well as Omastar, but can Dugtrio really reliably cover the other varients?

I'm just waiting for prime to walk in and say that all of this is worthless because it won't beat (insert broken deck here).

I like arbok myself, but it'll take some doing to get all that to fit.

Back