Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokémon Black/White EV guide.

Ultima

I haven't been able to find and good EV training guides thus far, so I'm going to write one here, now. This guide will explain EVs, how to drastically reduce the time taken to acquire them, and the best spots to do so. For those versed in EVsm you can ignore the primer and go straight to the training spots.

What are EVs?

EVs (or Effort Values) are a normally hidden stat adjustment within the games that go way back generations, and haven't changed since the 3rd generation. Every time one of you pokémon knocks out an enemy pokémon, your pokémon will receive a number of EV points based on the knocked out pokémon's strongest stat.

A full list of what pokémon gives what EVs can be found here: Pokédex (scroll down to where the dex is sorted by Effort Values). Most weaker pokémon give one effort point, while stronger ones give more.

Why should you bother with EVs?

EVs are a crucial way to increase your pokémon stat points especially in competitive battling. For each 4 EV points a pokémon accumulates, it will gain an additional point for the affected stat at level 100. The maximum number of EV points a pokémon can have for any stat is 255 (although going past 252 has no additional benefit), and a pokémon can have up to 510 EV points total.

That means EVs can give up to 127 additional stat points when applied properly, which can make a huge difference. However, EV training can seem like a daunting task, with 252 points to max out a stat 1 point at a time. However, there are several ways to reduce the time taken by increase the number of EV points obtained.

Obtaining EV points faster

There are 2 main ways to increase the number of EV points for each pokémon knocked out: using specific items, and the "infection" of Pokérus. These two methods can also work in tandem to gain huge amounts of EV points in a short time:

EV boosting items

There are two kinds of EV boosting items, special wing items you find randomly while traversing bridges, and the Vitamin items. The wings give 1 EV point for their respective stat, while the Vitamins give 10. However, these items won't work once a pokémon reaches 100 EV points for that stat. Also, Vitamins can get rather expensive.

Hold Items

There are two kinds of items used to increase the EV yield of pokémon: the macho brace and the Power Items. Each of these items works when a pokémon is holding it, and has a penalty of halving the speed of the holder.

Macho Brace: The Macho Brace is picked up in Nimbasa city. It doubles the EV yield of each pokémon knocked out.

Power Items: There are 6 items, one for each respective stat. Each power item grants the holder 4 EV points of it's respective stat when a pokémon is knocked out, regardless of the normal EV yield of that pokémon. Power Items can be bought from the Battle Subway, and boost the following stats:

Power Anklet: Speed
Power Band: Special Defence
Power Belt: Defence
Power Bracer: Attack
Power Lens: Special Attack
Power Weight: HP

The power items are the preferable way to EV train as quickly as possible, but aren't as easy to come by, as each costs 16 BP. However they make a considerable difference, as a EV yield of 1 point can be increased to 5 points.

Pokérus

The Pokérus is an infamous virus that may randomly hit your pokémon, but the chances are you've never encountered it by normal means. When a pokémon affected by Pokérus is on your team, it will spread to your other team pokémon while battling. After a while, a pokémon on your team with Pokérus will become immune, and can't spread the pokérus any more. if a pokémon receives pokérus and then goes into PC box, the pokérus will never go away as long as it stays there.

While a pokémon has Pokérus, it will receive double the normal amount of EV points, which is after the bonus of a hold item. For If a pokémon with pokérus knocks out a pokémon that gives 1 EV point and holding a Power item for the same stat:

(1 + 4) x2 = 10 EV points.

That's right, a 1 EV point pokémon can yield 10 points a go, which massively reduces the number of pokémon you need to knock out.

But how do you get the pokérus yourself? Thanks to Wifi trading, it's pretty easy these days. Just ask another trader who already has the Pokérus for it, and they can spread it to any of their pokémon then trade it to you. Just remember to keep an infected pokémon in your PC so you don't lose it.

EV training spots

Based on research, these are the easiest pokémon to use to EV train. Since you can't rematch most trainers (and the few you can are once a day only) all of the spots below are wild pokémon.

HP

Stunfisk: 2 HP points
Found at: Route 8, Icurrus city, Moor of Iccurus (Surf)
Level: 15-35

All of the aforementioned spots have a 100% encounter rate for Stunfisk when surfing, so you can't go wrong.

Attack

Golett: 1 Attack point
Dragonspiral Tower (2F)
Level: 30-33

Golett also has 100% encounter rate just past the first room of the Tower, making for some fairly easy training.

Patrat/Lilipup: 1 Attack Point
Route 1
level 2-4

Each pokémon has a 50% encounter rate, for even easier Attack EVs.

Tranquill/Sawsbuck/Druddigon: 2 Attack points
Dragonspiral Tower Outside: Double Grass
Level 34-37

A bit less orthodox than the rest, but works more quickly with 2 pokémon at a time. You can also encounter Mienfoo here which gives 1 Attack point. Also, this route doesn't work during the winter because the encounter rates are thrown off.

Defence

Yamask: 1 Defence Point
Relic Castle: 1F, B1F
Level 19-22

Unfortunately the encounter rate is only 50%, but that is the best available. It is also possible to take out Roggenrola in Wellspring cave, but they're much harder to take out in one go thanks to sturdy.

Cofagrigus: 2 Defence Points
Relic Castle: B2F, B3F, B4F, B5F
Level: 34-47

Cofagrigus is the same deal as its predecessor Yamask, only deeper in Relic castle, and higher level. it also gives a higher yield for some faster training.

Special Attack

Litwick: 1 Special Attack Point
Celestial Tower: 2F
Level 26-29

100% encounter rate, no problems here. If you go on the higher floors, you can also encounter Elgyem which also gives 1 SP.Att EV point.

Special Defence

Frillish: 1 Special Defence Point
Routes: 4,17,18, P2 Laboratory (surf)
level: 5-15

100% encounter rate. Much easier than the last generation, if I may say so.

Claydol: 2 Special Defence Points
Relic Castle, Maze End
Level: 47-50

This is the room where you encounter the Volcarona. a lot more walking and higher levels are required, but you can EV train a bit faster.

Speed

Basculin: 2 Speed Points
Routes: 1 (Surf)
Levels: 5-15

Basculin actually has 100% encounter rate on many surfing routes, but stick to Route 1 for the lowest levels. For the highest levels, surf at Village Bridge (level 25-55).

This concludes my EV guide. I hope it helps a few players out there, both new and more experienced. If you have any questions or good EV training spots, I'm all ears.

Victini is great for HP EVs. It gives 3 EVs when you defeat it, and it respawns when you walk out of the room. With the power item and PKRS, that gives 14 HP EVs in one battle.

Yeah, completely forgot about that.

Anyway, I've gone through and searched through the pokémon data. Unfortunately, there aren't any reliable ways to enocounter pokémon that give 2 SP.Att EVs. However, I have found ways for the all the other stats as you can see.

I can't undertand what is happening.

I am ev training my espeon. He has 109 EV in Sp attack after battling some litwicks and with 4 calciums + 1 genius wing.

Why can't I use anymore calciums now ? He just had 4 + 2 carbos. I am really puzzled since he is far from being max in his sp attack. He doesnt have evs in other stats.

Great guide! Thanks for posting.
Can anyone tell me exactly what the Effort Rater in Opelucid says when you have your EV maxed? Unfortunately I never count when Im farming up EVs and used to just stop whenever an Effort Rater gave me the ribbon. Without ribbons Im lost... :rolleyes:

Unfortunately no, the EV reducing Berries of Gen4 are not in the game. We will have to wait for the Dream World for that.

Litwick also gives 1 SAtt, making Celestial Tower the best place to EV train for SAtt. The only wild pokemon that show up there gice 1 Satt each.
Yes, Chompy there is a way; it's called Save the Game After You Gain Some EVs and Then Turn Off the Power When You Mess Up.
When I EV train, I have a piece of paper on-hand, so that I can add a tally mark whenever I get an EV.
Bulbapedia is an excellent way of getting info on EVs, by the way. Serebii are excellent ways of finding good movesets and how many EVs to get for each individual pokemon. This has helped me EV train 2 pokemon and I'm working on a third. In time, I hope to have two full EV trained Double Battle teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going for a spread of 210 HP, 52 Attack, 248 Speed (just made something up) and you accidentally KO a pokemon that gives defense EVs, or even overshoot your mark and get 56 Attack, that's messing it up. Sometimes things are trained to out-speed other things by 1 point, or that 1 extra point in HP means you can substitute 4 times, etc. If you're going for a very precise EV spread, then messing up even slightly can mean it's ruined.

Back