Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

PokeGym Roundtable 12 - Regionals to European Prof Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulbasnore

Administrator
Staff member
Trader Feedback Mod
On this week's PokeGym Roundtable Archaic, dld4a, Rambo 1000 & Rulemaster join bulbasnore and to share some topics of interest related to Diamond and Pearl TCG Release, A Japanese Archetype and the Trading Figure Game

Pokegym Roundtable Podcast

Roundtable 12: Regionals to European Prof Cup"

Technical notes:

Fully annotated podcast version: Chapters, 'Easter Eggs', Pictures and URLs!

Want to get the podcast? To tune in you need some podcast client software!

You can get the Windows or Mac version of iTunes as a free download and get all the bells and whistles of images and links that play along with the podcast.

If you have your own favorite audio player and just need the Podcast downloader, try out another Mac or Windows free download - Juice.

To access the podcast AFTER you have iTunes installed, click this NEW link:

The enhanced version of the Podcast that plays in Podcast clients has episode art, chapters and links that you can see and interact with as you play the podcast.

If you need toenter your feed URL manually, then paste this URL into your podcast client:

If you don't use a podcast client, can't play mp4 or want a file only 80% the sizes of the normal one, try the plain MP3 version of the podcast (available by 11PM PST) at:

If you use Digg - 'dig this podcast!': http://digg.com/podcasts/The_PokeGym_Forums_PokeGym_Roundtable

Get well soon, BDS!

Concerning 1st turn Supporters: BDS posted that the listing of D/P rules is just changes. Things that are not mentioned remain the same - no T1 Supporters. http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=833933&postcount=69

I was really hoping Archaic would talk about the TFG. I was really excited about it but that excitement is dwindling after having heard nothing about it for a while. I was hoping to have it incorporated into league play by now or atleast have a demo going. The site says to expect it in the first half of this year, but that seems unlikely now. The figures break easily? o_O Didn't see that coming.

Just to clear up the confusion on trainers now being played/not being played turn 1...keep checking back to see what the ruling is. i'm pretty sure you won't be able to play existing supporters on your first turn (mentor), but you should be able to play Diamond and Pearl supporters on your first turn. hope i didn't confuse anybody,

EDIT: thanks to shadowcard for beating me to the punch :D

I don't think the figures break easily, unless you confuse them with 'action figures'. If you don't try to pose Torchic like G.I. Joe, then he flames a long time. I think, like most miniatures, you need a case to carry these things.

Is there a reason why Archaic's audio is much louder? This happened once before.

Mentor won't be able to go get evolutions. All the rules said was if a card references basic AND evolution pokemon, instead now it will just say, "go get a Pokemon" or "...any Pokemon".

No supporter T1. Old rules still apply.

Yea, those two questions were my reading the rules wrong.

On the one about "Pokémon" - I read, “Basic Pokémon" or "Evolution card” as opposed to what it actually was, “Basic Pokémon or Evolution card” Subtle difference in the text, major difference in the meaning. My bad.

As far as the "Trainer" on the first turn - You are all probably correct, but I could still see it going the other way and I think it would actually help the game a lot considering Rare Candy is eliminated from being played on the first turn.

Beginning the game
The player who goes first now draws a card at the beginning of his or her turn. That player may not play
ANY Trainer cards from his or her hand, during that first turn. (This includes playing Fossil cards to the
Bench.)

Mentor will still be considered a trainer card, so the rule shouldnt change. I wish OP would have just given examples of the most common instances of the new rulings though, it would save us the headache of trying to decipher these rules. thats why i tried to give examples on the Roundtable lol.

i'm not sure if POP thinks that releasing a pdf on their site of the new rulings will be enough to inform their players about MAJOR game changes....but maybe they'll do a little more when it comes time for D&P

Beginning with the Diamond & Pearl expansion, Stadium cards and Supporter cards now have their own
card type and are no longer considered Trainer cards.

The problem is that the phrase "Beginning with the Diamond & Pearl expansion" does not necessarily suggest that the new rule applies only to Stadiums and Supporters released from DP and later. It could easily just be referring to the moment when the rule is to begin. Nothing is said to indicate the rule does not apply to all Stadiums and Supporters. If they want it to apply to DP and later only it should read:

"Stadiums and Supporters released in the Diamond & Pearl expansion and all future sets have their own
card type and are no longer considered Trainer cards. The Stadium and Supporter cards have had their
card faces updated to reflect this change. ..."

You are all very much, most likely correct, in that it will apply only to the new cards, but what's the harm in allowing a game T1 supporter (old and new). Wally's is the only one that'll actually gain power. Mentor will be nice for sure, but it can't give you an auto win because your opponent has an equal chance to Mentor on his/her turn.

TFG: Sadly they are fragile and do break even when looked after.

The cost of $9 per single figure is very high. The set collation in the UK with two parallel sets looks like a cynical and highly naive attempt to at exploitation of the potential customers.

In the UK there has been no advertising push, the 'game' aspect has still not been launched, stocks were on display in bins in several game shops but aren't leaping off the shelves. Distributors haven't had the figures in stock for some time.

The TFG is looking dead in the UK.

I have confirmed with POP that the player that goes first can not play a Trainer, Supporter, or Stadium on their first turn.

Just found this in another thread. Oh well.

Not even the new Supporter or Stadiums? - is my question.

Is there a reason why Archaic's audio is much louder? This happened once before.
He's being recorded from the Skype online telephone program. For whatever reason, the volume of Skype is *much* louder and clearer than a standard telephone call. The main reason for using Skype is b/c an international phone call of an hour would cost a BOATLOAD of money.

Just found this in another thread. Oh well.

Not even the new Supporter or Stadiums? - is my question.
As I have been trying to explain, the DP rules summary just lists the changes to the rules. Under existing rules we can't play a Supporter, so having them listed as Supporters without the "Trainer" tag changes nothing. In DP they will just say Supporter on them, but that is what the current rule prevents.

BDS

Last edited:
Couldn't Archaic mess with the Skype settings to make it not so loud?

As I have been trying to explain, the DP rules summary just lists the changes to the rules. Under existing rules we can't play a Supporter or Stadium, so having them listed as Stadiums and Supporters without the "Trainer" tag changes nothing. In DP they will just say Supporter and Stadium on them, but that is what the current rule prevents.

BDS

Gee BDS, you haven't been allowing people to play Stadiums on the first turn?? :tongue:

As I have been trying to explain, the DP rules summary just lists the changes to the rules. Under existing rules we can't play a Supporter or Stadium, so having them listed as Stadiums and Supporters without the "Trainer" tag changes nothing. In DP they will just say Supporter and Stadium on them, but that is what the current rule prevents.

BDS

Diamond & Pearl cards that affect Trainer cards will not affect any older Supporter or Stadium card, nor
will it affect any Diamond & Pearl Stadium or Supporter card. For example, if a Diamond & Pearl card
says, “Search your deck for a Trainer card and put it into your hand,” you may not search for an older
Supporter or Stadium or a Diamond & Pearl Supporter or Stadium card.
The current rule prevents Stadiums T1?! And this part of the new rule suggests the older Stadiums and Supporters are not to be consider trainers.

The player who goes first now draws a card at the beginning of his or her turn. That player may not play ANY Trainer cards from his or her hand, during that first turn.
And it's not unreasonable to assume that this part of the new rule would replace the previous rule about Trainers/Supporters on T1, as opposed to augmenting it. Especially when it would be so logical to do so, considering Trainers are being segregated (no Candy T1-HUGE!), and allowing a Supporter play T1 can only reduce chances of T1 unbalanced wins.

But you all have more/closer contacts with POP/PUI so I'll take your words for it.

Gee BDS, you haven't been allowing people to play Stadiums on the first turn?? :tongue:
Hey, I figure a person should get a jump on the new rules. I think I adopted that one along about TRR. For that and other unique custom rules by BDS, send a SASE to ... :lol:

That's what I get for posting while on cold medication. I fixed the original post.

BDS

TFG: Sadly they are fragile and do break even when looked after.
Of course, we should note that this doesn't go for every figure. There's some, like Kyogre, which are very solid. But those bloody Meowth...when we were demoing the game at the 10th anniversary events, we must have gone through a stack of those.

I think the biggest issue there is just that a lot of kids, when they get their hands on the figures, tend to spin them by holding the top of the figure and twisting, which is a no-go. You have to spin on the black base.

The cost of $9 per single figure is very high. The set collation in the UK with two parallel sets looks like a cynical and highly naive attempt to at exploitation of the potential customers.

In the UK there has been no advertising push, the 'game' aspect has still not been launched, stocks were on display in bins in several game shops but aren't leaping off the shelves. Distributors haven't had the figures in stock for some time.

The TFG is looking dead in the UK.
It's worth mentioning about those parallel sets that they're more like subsets. IIRC, there's only something like 6-8 each of the crystals and pearls.

The TFG seems to be suffering from a lack of identity. They seem to have sold well enough in the test market of Australia, but that can probably be attributed to them having been advertised in the catalogues of EB Games and K-Mart on their release. There really hasn't been any real level of advertisement by the distributor personally, and I know for a fact that the distributor considers it a kids game, even though they've priced it for a more mature audience. There seems to be an issue that they have a "build it and they will come" mentality, and haven't realised that these products need some decent marketing to take off. The only marketing they've had thusfar is that done by fans like ourselves over the net, and the demos that we ran at the 10th anniversary tour events.

I did, actually. ^^;; That was about 25% of my volume from last time. I'll reduce it even more in future.

Sorry, Prime, but couldn't the others besides Archaic mess with their settings so they are not so quiet? This one was much better than the previous one, where everyone was whispering like they didn't want their parents to know they are up late discussing Pokemon instead of doing homework. I like Archaic's volume. It catches my attention, keeps me from falling asleep, makes what he is talking about sound interesting.

Last edited:
Sorry, Prime, but couldn't the others besides Archaic mess with their settings so they are not so quiet? This one was much better than the previous one, where everyone was whispering like they didn't want their parents to know they are up late discussing Pokemon instead of doing homework. I like Archaic's volume. It catches my attention, keeps me from falling asleep, makes what he is talking about sound interesting.

No, the rest of us were on land lines (1 cell) and talking normal to loud. We sound quieter because Bulbasnore turns the overall sound down to keep Archaic from blowing speakers/ear drums. I'm sure they'll nail it next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back