Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Adventures: Diamond & Pearl (10+)

matt0044

Before getting into this series, there are things that I must address first.

This is a cartoon crossover fanfic where I use characters from various animated series and put them in a story based on a story from a movie, TV show or game where they represent a certain character. In this case, it's the Pokemon games. If you feel like you won't enjoy a story with characters that you're unfamiliar with, then keep in mind that you do NOT need to know about these characters before hand. They are in different roles in this story and their background is altered greatly.

The main character representing Dawn is a cat character named Sagwa and the other character representing Barry is a humanoid aardvark named Arthur. They both come from shows named after themselves. I am well aware that it's weird for animals and Pokemon to co-exist in the same universe. I am also aware that it's weirder for animals to be Pokemon Trainers. I'm just going to come out and say that I'm NEVER going to explain why this is so. Why? I just don't want to make up some bogus backstory to interfere with the main story. It's an alternate Pokemon universe where animals capable of speech and humanoid creatures co-exist with humans with equal rights and Pokemon are the wild creatures that resemble animals. Simple as that. It may be hard to believe but that's just how that universe was created. Just try to enjoy the story.

This is a trainer fic based on the Generation 4, 3, 1, 2, 3 again and 5 games so it's going to be pretty long but I don't plan to stop until Generation five or six. Say what you will but I'm going to do it.

Finally, for those who plan on responding to the first chapter, bring it. If you find a grammar or spelling error, then I'll go and correct it but if you don't like how there are animals or cartoon characters in the story, then that's fine but don't mention it and expect me to change it. There are animals and cartoon characters in this fanfic and there always will. I'm not changing no matter what.

Now that we have that out of the way, please enjoy the fic.

--------

Pokemon Adventures: Diamond & Pearl by matt0044.

Starring:

Sagwa Miao as Dawn

Arthur Read as Barry

Lan Windy (Original Character) as Paul

Chet Chet (Sagwa) as Gym Leader Roark

Hun Hun (Sagwa) as Gym Leader Gardenia

Sue Ellen Armstrong (Arthur) as Gym Leader Maylene

Lic Lic (Sagwa) as Gym Leader Crasher Wake

Muffy Crosswire (Arthur) as Gym Leader Fantina

Binky Barnes (Arthur) as Gym Leader Byron

Fern Walters (Arthur) as Gym Leader Candice

Won-Ton (Sagwa) as Gym Leader Volkner

Kyon (Haruhi Suzumiya) as Elite Four Aaron

Yuki Nagato (Haruhi Suzumiya) as Elite Four Bertha

Taniguchi (Haruhi Suzumiya) as Elite Four Flint

Itsuki Koizumi (Haruhi Suzumiya) as Elite Four Lucian

Haruhi Suzumiya as Champion Cynthia

Team Galactic Commander Mars

Team Galactic Commander Jupiter

Team Galactic Commander Saturn

Team Galactic Commander Charon

Team Galactic Boss Cyrus

Team Galactic Agents #44 and #45 as Team Rocket Agents Jessie and James

Sir Richard (Sagwa) as Professor Rowan

Inspector Gadget as Looker

Mikuru Asahina (Haruhi Suzumiya) as Nurse Joy

Tsuruya (Haruhi Suzumiya) as Officer Jenny.

Mama Miao (Sagwa) as Johanna

Based on the video games developed by Nintendo, Gamefreak and The Pokemon Company for the Nintendo DS, the Animated series produced by Shogakukan Productions and the Graphic Novel (Manga) written by Hidenori Kusaka and published by Shogakukan Incorporated, Tokyo.

Adaptation series written by matt0044 (Call me Matt)

Original Concept by Satoshi Tajiri.

With extra thanks to Bulbapedia, the Pokemon Wikipedia, for the extra information.

Disclaimer: I don't own Pokemon (Pocket Monsters) or the Characters used in this series (except for Original Characters).

DP 001: New Beginnings.

One Saturday morning in the small town of Twinleaf, located in the northern Sinnoh region, a young male humanoid aardvark by the age of ten ran down the road through the town in a big hurry. His name was Arthur Read. He wore round-framed glasses on his face, a yellow long-sleeved shirt, blue jeans and red and white sneakers on his feet. After running for minutes, Arthur screeched to a halt in front of a two story house on his right hand side of the road, walked up to the front door and knocked four times before he shouted loudly.

"Hey, Lan! Come on out here and hurry up!"

A few minutes later, the door opened and a young male human also by the age of ten stepped out. His name was Lan Windy. He wore a black long-sleeved shirt, blue jeans, blue and white sneakers, and had a full head of black hair. He also had a serious look on his face.

"Oh, hi Arthur," Lan said in a tone of voice that made him sound older than his true age. He knew Arthur as a long time friend of his. "You need something?"

"Yeah, I need you to come with me to Sagwa's house so that I can tell you two something important," said Arthur in a clear voice.

"Well, what is it?" asked Lan. "Can't you tell me now?"

"There's no time," said Arthur. "Follow me to Sagwa's house and I'll explain everything when we three are together. Just be sure to keep up with me."

"Okay, but this better be worth my time," said Lan, sternly. "It's our day off from homeschooling and I don't want to waste a single minute of it."

"Believe me, you'll thank me later," said Arthur. "Now let's go before it's too late!"

Arthur started running back to the road as Lan said goodbye to his mother. The two boys then ran down the road to the home of their their best friend, Sagwa Miao. They stopped in front of a large yellow-painted two story house with a green roof. On the right side of the house and in the backyard, there was a garden of Roses, Azaleas, Gracideas and other flowers. Arthur and Lan walked across the front lawn and up the stairs to the front porch where Lan knocked on the front door four times. A few minutes later, the door opened and an adult Chinese Siamese cat, Shao Fung Miao, stepped out on her hind legs. That's right. In this world, cats and other animals can walk on their hind legs. They also have the lifespan of an average human. Just thought I'd let you know.

"Good morning, Miss Miao!" said Lan. "Is Sagwa home?"

"Yes, but she's still sleeping," said Shao Fung. "She's tired from all the math work I gave her. I may have overdid it with the fractions." Did I mention they can also talk? By the way, Shao Fung (or Mama as Sagwa calls her) wore a large violet and white collar around her neck, had the gray Siamese markings on her long, bushy tail, paws and around her eyes and had a piece of jewelry in each of her ear like an earring as well as on top of her head like a crown. Overall, her appearance was more like a queen than motherly.

"Can we see her anyways?" asked Arthur. "We have to tell her something. It can't wait."

"Okay," said Mama. "But wake her up slowly. You know how cats hate to be scared."

"Will do," said Lan.

Arthur and Lan walked into the house with Mama closing the door behind them. The boys took of their sneakers so as not to leave dirt on the floor and went up the stairs to the second floor. They came to a room that had a sign saying "SAGWA'S ROOM" on it and opened the door which caused Sagwa wake up instantly.

"Up an' at 'em, Sagwa!" said Arthur, energetically. "Time to get up!"

"So much for slowly," said Lan. He had a feeling Arthur would do the opposite.

Arthur's face shifted from happy to surprise upon seeing Sagwa's bedroom. "Man, oh man! What a pad!"

Sagwa's bedroom was full of books, toys and Pokemon plush dolls with a bed next to the window and a desk nearby. There was a television with a DVR, DVD player and a Nintendo Wii. Dang, that's a nice room!

"Why are you so surprise?" asked Lan. "You've been here a million times."

"I know!" said Arthur. "And I still can't believe how great is! I mean, she has a Nintendo Wii and I have an X-box! With the Red Ring of Death! Man, cats have it good."

"Hey, guys," groaned Sagwa as she got up from under her Pikachu print blanket and rubbed her eyes. "Thanks for the wake up call. I was trying to sleep in." She wore a big red and yellow collar around her neck, had the gray Siamese markings on her bushy tail, paws and her whole face and spoke in a high-pitch voice suited for a female cat like her. "What are you doing here anyways?"

"Ask Arthur," said Lan. "He has something important to say."

"I do?" said Arthur, confusedly. He suddenly remembered. "That's right, I do! And we already wasted to much time!"

"So what is it, Arthur?" asked Sagwa, perking up a bit. "This better not be like last time."

"Trust me on this," said Arthur, pridefully. "I'll start from the beginning. My mom woke me up two hours ago and told me to get some exercise by running to Lake Verity and back home. I did so and when I arrived at Lake Verity, I ran into the man himself: Professor Richard."

"Professor Richard?" Sagwa and Lan said at the same time in surprise.

"You mean the Pokemon expert of Sinnoh who lives in Sandgem Town?" asked Sagwa, excitedly. "THE Professor Richard?"

"The one and only," said Arthur. "Anyways, I wanted you two to meet him so I told him to wait at the lake as I got you guys."

"I can't believe I'm going to meet Professor Richard himself," said Sagwa, beaming her smile like a laser as she got out of bed. "A real Pokemon Professor."

"We'd better get to Lake Verity before he decides to leave," said Lan. "After all, no one is allowed in his laboratory in Sandgem but him and his associates."

"But wait! There's more!" Arthur said like a commercial spokesperson. "If we play our cards right and ask him nicely, then we just might get our very own Pokemon and, perhaps, become Pokemon Trainers. We'll be able to travel throughout Sinnoh on our own."

"That's awesome!" said Sagwa at her happiest.

"Yeah," said Lan, sternly. "It could happen in theory but there's no way the ultimate Pokemon authority of Sinnoh is going to make us trainers if we simply ask. I'm sure there's a test you have to pass before becoming a trainer."

"Then we'll pass it," said Sagwa. "We've been into Pokemon our whole life. That's the reason we're friends. I'm sure we'll become trainers if we show him what we know."

"I suppose so," said Lan. "Besides, I always wanted to become the world's greatest trainer."

"More like second greatest because that will be me!" said Arthur.

"Alright, boys," said Sagwa, walking between the two. "If we keep the Professor waiting, he's bound to leave before we get there. Besides, I'll be the world's greatest trainer before you know it." And she walked out the bedroom and into the hallway. "Now let's go!"

Arthur and Lan followed Sagwa out of her house and the trio headed up the road past houses to Route 201. Once they reached the fork in the road, Sagwa, Arthur and Lan turned to their left and headed west for Lake Verity. The three were walking on a pathway that went through a deep forest that was full of Pokemon. Arthur was the one to break the silence.

"So which Pokemon are you two picking?" asked Arthur. "I'm taking Turtwig. I always like Grass type Pokemon."

"Well, I'm choosing Chimchar," said Lan. "I hear that its power increases immensely when it's at the brink of defeat. I could use that kind of powerhouse."

"I'm picking Piplup," said Sagwa. "I just think it's so cute!"

"A cat training a water-type Pokemon," laughed Lan. "How ironic."

"Hey!" retorted Sagwa. "I'm not afraid of water. I just don't like to get wet."

"Sure," said Lan. "So Arthur, how much further to Lake Verity?"

"Just less than a minute and we'll be there," said Arthur. "Besides, we go there all the time. Especially on the fourth of September when Sinnoh was first founded."

Soon enough, Sagwa, Arthur and Lan arrived at the crystal clear Lake Verity but Professor Richard was no where to be found. The trio was about to leave when Sagwa saw something on the ground near the water shine.

"Hey, what's that?" asked Sagwa.

The boys turned their attention to a silver metal briefcase near the water. The three of them ran over to check it out.

"It's a briefcase," said Lan. "Is it the Professor's?"

"Must be," said Arthur. "I saw him carry it. I wonder what's inside."

"Wouldn't that be wrong of us to do?" asked Sagwa, frowning.

"Don't worry," said Arthur. "I'll shut the case once we've taken a look inside." He unlocked the case and opened it up. What he saw amazed him. "Wow!"

Sagwa and Lan looked into the case and saw three Poke Balls the size of ping pong balls on top of a stack of research paper. Curiously, Sagwa, Arthur and Lan each took a Poke Ball and looked at them.

"I can't believe I'm actually holding a Poke Ball," said Arthur.

"They feel pretty heavy for small spheres," said Sagwa who was balancing a ball with her own right paw. "There must be a Pokemon in each of them."

"Well, there's one way to find out what's in which ball," said Lan. He pressed the white button on the Poke Ball, it grew from the size of a ping pong ball to the size of a baseball and it opened up in half, releasing a burst of white energy that formed into a orange and light yellow chimpanzee Pokemon known as Chimchar. The Pokemon had a flame burning on its rear due to the burning gas in its stomach. It opened its eyes to see Lan right in front of it.

(Who are you?) asked Chimchar. Like all Pokemon, Chimchar spoke in a language that consisted of its species's name. The Chimp Pokemon looked around at his surrounding nervously. (Where am I? Where's the Professor?)

"Um, nice to meet you, Chimchar," said Lan, unsure that Chimchar would understand him. "I'm Lan."

Chimchar looked back at him. (Nice to meet you too.) It said with a smile. (Could it be that you're my new master?)

"Wow," said Arthur. "It understood you."

"Of course," said Sagwa. "Pokemon can understand human speech or at least the gist of what they're told."

"If only we could understand them," said Lan.

"Let's see what I have," said Arthur. He pressed the white button on the Poke Ball, it grew from ping pong ball size to Baseball size and it opened up in half, releasing a burst of white energy that formed into a green, brown and yellow turtle Pokemon known as Turtwig. The Pokemon had a twig growing from its head. It opened its eyes to see Arthur in front of it.

(Who might you be?) Turtwig asked Arthur in its own name-based language.

"Yes!" said Arthur. "Just the one I wanted." He knelt down to Turtwig's level. "I'm Arthur. Pleasure to meet you, Turtwig."

(The pleasure is all mine.) said Turtwig. (Say, are you my new master? I could get to like you.)

"Now it's my turn!" said Sagwa as she stood on her hind legs. She pressed the white button on the Poke Ball and it grew to the size of a Baseball. "Go, Piplup!" she shouted as she threw the Poke Ball into the air. The ball opened up in half, releasing a burst of white energy that formed into a blue, white and yellow Pokemon that was known as Piplup. The Poke Ball dropped back to Sagwa. Piplup opened its black beady eyes to see Sagwa right in front of it.

"Why did you just do that just now?" asked Lan, bewildered by Sagwa's performance.

"It's a movement done by many great trainers," said Sagwa. "It's a bit show-offish but it's so fun to do."

(Trainer?) said Piplup in its own name based language. (Are you my new master?)

Sagwa turned to Piplup. "I'm Sagwa. Nice to meet you, Piplup." She thrust her arm out to Piplup.

(Same here.) replied Piplup as it shook paws with Sagwa.

"We better put them back into their Pokeballs before the Professor comes back for his briefcase," said Lan. "It's best that we don't get mistaken for thieves."

"In a minute," said Arthur. "I want to see how they use their attacks." He turned around to see a large tree near the lake close to them. "Let's see. Which attack should Turtwig use?" He thought hard for a few second and then remembered an attack Turtwig knew. "I got it! Turtwig, use Energy Ball on that tree!"

(If you say so.) said Turtwig. It moved into position in front of Arthur, opened its mouth to create a green ball made from its grass type power and launched it at the tree. The Energy Ball exploded on impact with the tree, causing branches to break and fall to the ground.

"Let me try," said Lan, moving up next to Arthur with Chimchar. "Chimchar, use Ember on that tree!"

Chimchar breathed in and blasted tiny balls of fire at the tree, causing it to catch fire. A Staraptor and its three Starly babies flew our from the tree.

"That's going to cause a forest fire!" said Sagwa, shocked. "Piplup, use Bubblebeam to put out that fire!"

(Leave it to me!) said Piplup. It breathed in and blasted big blue bubbles at the fiery tree, putting out the flames.

"Whew!" Sagwa sighed along with Piplup. "For a second there, I thought we were going to be in trouble."

"We weren't," said Lan. "But we are now!" His face got even more serious.

Sagwa and Piplup looked up to see the Staraptor, a large bird Pokemon and the fully evolved form of a Starly, and its Starly babies starring at them angrily and became very worried.

"You don't think they're upset that we ruined their house, do you?" said Arthur in a worried tone of voice.

"Oh, I think so," said Lan. "And it looks like they're about to attack."

From behind another tree, a man wearing an outfit that made him look like Indiana Jones and glasses with a moustache was watching the whole thing. He was curious to see what would happen next.

"Well, let's not go down without a fight!" said Sagwa, mustering up her bravery. "Piplup, use Bubblebeam!"

(Gotcha!) Piplup breathed in again and blasted big blue bubbles at one of the Starly. The Starly fell down but flew back up and headed towards its attackers.

"Now use Pound!" ordered Sagwa.

Piplup ran and jumped up towards the same Starly and punched the bird Pokemon with its arm, causing it to collapse to the ground with no energy to fight anymore.

"You were awesome, Piplup!" cheered Sagwa.

(Of course, I was.) said Piplup pridefully.

As the other two Starly flew down towards Arthur and Lan, the boys and their Pokemon had a few tricks up their sleeves.

"Turtwig, use Razor Leaf!" Arthur commanded.

"Chimchar, use Fury Swipes!" ordered Lan.

Turtwig swung its head, shooting razor-sharp leaves at one Starly. The attack made a critical hit on the Starly, causing it to fall to the ground with no energy left to fight. Chimchar jumped into the air as it drew its claws and repeatedly scratched the other Starly.

"Now use Flame Wheel!" ordered Lan.

Chimchar's mouth filled with flames as it did a somersault and became engulfed by the flames, turning into a wheel that struck down the last Starly. With her children unable to fight, the Staraptor flew down towards Sagwa, Arthur and Lan to execute its Sky Attack.

"Everyone out of the way!" shouted Sagwa and everybody, including the Pokemon, dodged the oncoming Staraptor. The Staraptor flew back up into the air to get ready to attack again.

"It's fully evolved!" said Arthur. "There's no way we can take it on. Even if we did it together."

"I'll take it from her, kids!" shouted a voice with an English accent.

Sagwa, Arthur, Lan and their Pokemon turned to their left to see the man come out from behind the tree, holding a Poke Ball in his right hand. They all recognized his face and couldn't believe their eyes.

"Professor Richard!" they said.

"That's me, alright!" the 54 year old Professor responded. "Go, Staraptor!" He threw the Poke Ball into the air and a Staraptor of his own was released from the ball. "Use Aerial Ace!" he ordered.

The Professor's Staraptor flew towards the wild Staraptor at a great speed and struck it with its beak. The wild Staraptor saw that it was completely outmatched in strength and speed and it let out a loud cry. The three Starly babies flew up as well as they could to rejoin their mother. When the family was all together, the Staraptor and the Starly flew away into the forest across Lake Verity.

"Yeah, you better fly away!" shouted Arthur to the retreating wild Pokemon. "Now you know what happens when you mess with the best!"

The Staraptor flew back to the Professor who held his Poke Ball up to it. "Staraptor, return!" he ordered. A red beam was shot from the white button of the Poke Ball to the Staraptor, converting it into red energy that was sucked back into the ball. "Whew!" he sighed as he put the Poke Ball into his pants pocket (get it?). "That was the most fun I ever had in years. If that Staraptor hadn't ran away, I would've had a great battle. Now to take care of business." He walked to Sagwa, Arthur, Lan and their Pokemon to talk to them. "Ah, Arthur. I see you brought your friends. Sorry, I left. I had to get the proper equipment from the lab for my investigation but I ran back as soon as I realized I left my briefcase behind."

"It's no biggie," said Arthur. "After all, we got to check out these cool Pokemon."

"Speaking of which, it seems that Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup have became quite attached to each of you three after only a few minutes," said Professor Richard. "While I don't like how you took my Pokemon without asking me, I did like how you held your own ground against the Starly with them. You three seem to know a lot about Pokemon for those who I never met until now."

"Well, we all like Pokemon and we want to become trainers someday," said Sagwa. "That's why we read about them in books and magazines."

"When we battled the Starly, we used what attacks we knew from what we read," said Lan. "By the way, we're sorry we used your Pokemon without your permission."

"To be honest, I'm glad you did, Lan," said Professor Richard. "Those three Pokemon are the starters I've been saving for three prodigies like you kids. You've shown that your fairly knowledgeable at Pokemon and battling so each of those three Pokemon are yours to keep and, starting now, you are all Pokemon Trainers."

Sagwa and Arthur were overjoyed as they started jumping like giddy Buneary while Lan just kept his cool and smiled triumphantly.

"Thank you so much, Professor," said Sagwa. "It's been a pleasure meeting you."

"The pleasure was all mine, Sagwa," said Professor Richard. He went over to the metal briefcase, closed it and lifted it up by its handle. "Now I suggest you three go back to your homes with your new Pokemon. I have to get back to the lab for the equipment I left behind."

"Just two questions, Professor," said Lan. "Why did you bring the Poke Balls with you and why were you here at Lake Verity in the first place?"

"Well, my lab assistants are out for the day so I took the three starter Pokemon as well as my saved research papers on Pokemon evolution in this briefcase so that no criminals could take them," answered the Professor. "There are certain people in this region that want to use my knowledge for evil purposes. Also I came here to Lake Verity to research the legend of the lake guardian, Mesprit."

"Mesprit?" said Arthur in confusion. "What Pokemon is that?"

"Mesprit is said to be one of three psychic Pokemon that watch Sinnoh from three lakes, Verity being one of them," explained Professor Richard "It's also known as 'The Being of Emotion'."

"Wow!" said Sagwa, amazed that such a being could possibly exist. "That's so cool."

"There's more to it," said Professor Richard. "However, I need to get back to the lab and begin this investigation as soon as possible." He ran into the woods to take his short cut to the lab. "Meet me there tomorrow morning, okay?"

"We'll be there!" Sagwa, Arthur and Lan answered. The three then put their respective Pokemon back into their Poke Balls. Arthur and Lan put their balls into their pants pockets while Sagwa put hers in her collar pocket.

"So Lan, was this worth your time?" asked Arthur as he and Lan walked back to Route 201.

"I wouldn't call it wasted," said Lan. "Quite the opposite, in fact."

Sagwa was about to follow her friends home when she heard a mournful cry. She turned her head around to see who was there and saw nothing. Then, she saw a ghostly figure of a strange looking Pokemon floating above the lake water.

"Who's there?" Sagwa asked nervously as her fur stood up straight. Just then, she felt a painful jolt in her brain as if something connected with it. "Ow!" She clenched her head with her paws. When the pain went away, Sagwa ran back to Route 201 to catch up with her friends. But the ghostly Pokemon kept her thinking. What was that Pokemon? Could it have been Mesprit? But why? And what was that pain in my head? Little did she know, the answer would surprise her.

To Be Continued...

Next Time: After a nightmare wakes her up, Sagwa heads to Professor Richard's Lab with Arthur and Lan. Upon arriving, they are giving tools and advice to assist them on their Pokemon journeys through Sinnoh. Before they set off, Sagwa and Arthur have a battle. Who will win? Find out next time on Pokemon Adventures: Diamond & Pearl. DP 002: Lab Rats.

--------

Before you reply, please take the pre-story introduction into consideration. I hope to see you again for chapter two where the story really starts.

See ya later!

Back