Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Attack Analysis

Shdwchu

Pokemon Attacks Analysis-
Bradford Petty

Though all attacks basically have the same strategic purpose (to knock out a Pokemon or help get setup) they fall into various special areas. Let me explain the way I always saw it….

Direct (attacking the Active pokemon): (i.e. just about any Pokemon that does damage to the active) Direct damage is still the most common way to KO an opposing Pokemon, but as well it’s also the only attack that can be powered up though use of trainer cards (Strength Charm, Plus power) and Pokemon powers/bodies.

Setup (Attacking for Personal Setup): (i.e. the both Famous and Infamous Dunsparce) Setup in most modified decks nowadays is so crucial to the game that if you don’t get what you need immediately then you're more than likely going to go down. Though many have tried to find a GOOD replacement for Dunsparce, very few can match up against it. Setup is needed in 90% of decks today. Setup doesn’t mean just Pokemon like Dunsparce, it also applies to Pokemon like Electrike, Bulbasaur, Roselia, Parasect. The last 4 I just named aren’t Pokemon setup but Energy Acceleration, another form of Setup. But Setup isn’t always early game, either. Sometimes it’s Recovery and the ability to mount a swift comeback that makes a HUGE difference.

Pick-off (Bench Hitters): (i.e. Minun [EX: Dragons] Swampert EX [EX: Team magma Vs. Team Aqua] Bench hitters, though not used often because of the usual “do not apply Weakness and Resistance” clause, are going to become more dangerous as time goes on. There's nothing worse than your bench being picked off because you don’t want to waste the energy to Retreat.

Finish-off ( One hit knock outs): (i.e. Swalot [EX: Hidden Legends] and in the future, maybe, Politoed EX) These Pokemon are MEANT to finish off the weak. Anything less than their (as in the PKMN) HP usually gets knocked out in one hit. Example: Swalot: Swallow: GCC: 50 + 30 if the defending Pokemon has LESS hp than Swalot. Swalot’s HP is 80 thus anything under 80 (or with Low Pressure System in play 90) is KO’ed (unless prevented by Pokemon power/Body).

Targeting (Hitting Pokemon With specific traits) : These Pokemon pick on certain Pokemon only (i.e. Plusle and Minun from EX: Deoxys.) the downfall to them is that they pick on ONLY a certain type of Pokemon so if nothing like that is out there to attack they’re pretty much useless.

Scatter (Hitting ALL Opponents Pokemon): (EX: Sandstorm Steelix) basically the total opposite to Direct Damage. These attacks are meant the be Shattered and Scattered all over the place. So your opponent has to CHOOSE which Pokemon they want to save and which they will allow to be knocked out.

Disruption (Attacking The Player and Not the Pokemon): These attacks are the LEAST used now in modified. Disruption was found in trainer cards like Energy Removal. Disruption is found now in many ways in Modified. Energy removal, hand discard, deck discard, deck shuffling, devolution. Heck, there's even completely removing a Pokemon from the field with everything attached to it. (Nosepass EX: Sandstorm)

So, why did I make this Article? Easy, to open everyone that sees it to different decks that are going to arise, and maybe to fix the current ones out there.

Team Chicago / Team Heat Deck Analysis

Col. ShdwChu / Brad Petty

Shwdchu: Not bad, though your terminology seems... off. Maybe it is a regional or a historical thing, but "Pick Off" is called Hunting or Sniping by those I know. "Finish" off sounds like "Cleaner", though a more narrow definition: a "cleaner" Pokemon is a back up to your main attacker. The "opener" classification also seems to be missing: openers sometimes have set up attacks (NG Cleffa), but also can have just inexpensive "direct" attacks. Tyrogue from neo Discovery may be the ultimate Opener/Cleaner. As a whole though, nice job.

Good article!

I've been struggling with categories (for a different reason) and there are two categories that I've been seeing and wonder if they would help.

1. Defensive/Healing - These are attacks that result in your Pokemon protecting/healing itself. Agility is the obvious choice, but there are others (Smokescreen) as well.

2. Matchup - I can't think of the right word for this, but this encompasses those attacks that modify the matchup between Actives. This could be an attack like Lure that switches up one of your opponent's benched Pokemon or it could be like Gengar's Hide in Shadows where you "hit and run."

Again, good article!

Nice job Brad. What about status attackers, like that Cacturn w/ the paralyze thing. Would that be direct or maybe a stall attack?

Even looking at the couple of cards that have Metronome as an attack. Now where does that classify, or would it be in a class of it's own.

Back