Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Card Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Pokemon Master

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
I have been wanting to make a thread like this for a while, and now, I am. :)

If you have a funny, weird, or whatever Pokemon card story, post it here. I'll start off as an example.

1. Back in the Base Set 1998 days, my younger brother had a Poliwrath card that I wanted really badly. So, my parents used to always reward us with boosters when we were younger, and he was going to get a Base set pack that day for some reason. So, I kept telling him all day long at school on the playground "Jace, when you get your Poliwrath tonight, you have to give it to me." (meaning that I was saying he is going to get one when I have no idea if he is) So, I kept telling him that all day. Later on that night, we sat on my parent's bed and my mom handed my brother a Base set pack. He opened it, and out came Poliwrath! It was so funny and shocking at the same time that I rolled off the bed and hit my head on my parents' dresser.
Fast forward to 2005.
I was at Pokemon League a few weeks ago and traded someone a Registeel ex for their Politoed ex. So, league went normal, and I kept saying that I needed another Politoed ex for my deck (I got my first one at Worlds in a trade). Later, my dad came and he let me buy a booster pack. I opened it up, and out came Politoed ex! It was obviously a message, just like with the original Poliwrath. :D

2. When my younger brother got his Base Set theme decks for his birthday when they first came out, I was so jealous. He had EIGHT Weedle, and he would not for the life of him give me ONE (this was before we knew anything about the TCG - every card was the same to us, except holos). So, later the night he got his theme decks, he told me he would give me one if I went downstairs into the scary dark and got him some water. So, I brought him up his glass of water, and he WOULDN'T GIVE ME THE WEEDLE. He said he lied and bla bla bla. That's when I got mad. This little runt can't deny me a card after I went downstairs IN THE DARK. I demanded he give it to me, and he wouldn't. So, I smacked him in the face (a good shot, too). Then, he tackled me to the floor. Eventually, after we pulled each other's hair, got some good bites out of each other, punched, kicked, tackled, etc., we made it downstairs and were still fighting, until my mom came and broke it up. We were both crying, and I was saying that he promised me a Weedle card and he wouldn't give it to me. So, my mom ripped one out of his deck and gave it to me. Haha sucka, it's mine now.

Okay, so share your stories now!

Oh yeah, I have one of those expeirences...

One year, for Christmas(around when Base Set and the beginning), I asked for a Charizard, Blastoise, or Venusaur card. I just thought they were cool looking, had no idea on value other then the rarity symbols, and didn't even know how to play. Whenever I played with someone, we just chose our 6 strongest cards and attacked without any energy whatsoever. Didn't even evolve them. Anyway, I kept wishing for that(I still believed in that jolly old guy) card, any one of them. I got one Base Pack, and opened it, and there was a Venusaur holo! I was so happy! Course, I traded it at some point, lol.

Oh man, this one will make you POP out of laughter.

Well at a prelease, I was about 4-2, and I was playing one of my fellow NC players. So were playing, it comes down to 1 prize each, and he has a Forretress with 4 Energy on it. So he does Pop, and it now goes to sudden death. So Sudden Death, I get Murkrow out, and start wailing a Yanma. I flip tails on Reversal, but then Night song it up, next turn death. So he Popped me to victory!

heh...
back when I played in the base set era(quit around neo 2), I had several experiences with rip-off trades...

First, me as the victim. I went over to a friend's house to play Pokemon. I didn't have many cards, mind you, so I was looking to do quit a bit of trading. I had no clue what rarities were at the time, and just told him I wanted Pokemon more then trainers. The only trade I remember was his Doduo(Common) for my Lass(Rare)...

Then, after learning the rarities, one with me as the..opposite of the victim. I was trying to trade my friend a non-holo jolteon for a holo jolteon(back in the time of jungle, the holos and rares were the same cards). "It's the same card" was my reasoning. He finally agreed to the trade, and I got the holo version of a card I previously had only non-holo. Don't worry, we ended up doing a tradeback due to the advice of his brother and my mom =P

And finally, ona typical-ish one. I made a trade with my cousin(there was a chansey involved, don't know what the other card was) and then he wanted trade-backs. I insisted "No, no, I said no tradebacks." and he was saying "Nu-uh, you said we could do tradebacks!" after a long fight, I lost and had to do a tradeback...

Also, I remember originally thinking that the cards within a rarity were in order of rarity. For example, #1 was the rarest holo, and if there were 16 holos in the set, #16 was the most common holo. So, everybody knows Charizard was the rarest card in base set, but for a time I was bragging that my Alakazam was more rare then Charizard =P.

ok heres one

Pokemon rocks Seattle

I got some FRLG packs and wanted blastoise for my deck
i pull a random pack out of my bag and said Toise, i looked at the pack and it was a Blastiose pack, i laughed.
I then opened it and behold, a gray border card water type, BLASTOISE!!!
I was ROFLMAO cause of that.

DukeFireBird said:
ok heres one

Pokemon rocks Seattle

I got some FRLG packs and wanted blastoise for my deck
i pull a random pack out of my bag and said Toise, i looked at the pack and it was a Blastiose pack, i laughed.
I then opened it and behold, a gray border card water type, BLASTOISE!!!
I was ROFLMAO cause of that.

same thing with my friend (papazit)

he bought a SINGLE team magma/team aqua pack and said "watch this be a Blaziken ex"

opened up and starting laughing, holding up a blaze ex! :eek:

the omg rarest-randomest thing ever happened to me

i had a zappy deck (the same as i have today) but i need 1 more zappy, there was a league and at the end of the month, we had standings and the first 10 got boosters, i was 11th, and the TO was 10th, he didn't want his booster, and gave it to me, well what came in the pack is said above lol

I guess the best stories I have are opening up booster draft packs and getting lame stuff then going to league, buying a pack or two and picking up like a 3-2-3 line in just those two or three packs. ARG!

A few years ago there was this little tea-cart in the mall, with this woman who bought and sold pokemon cards. I got a 1st ed base set blastoise from ebay for $15, so I went there to see how much she would give for it.

"Hold on, let me look through my price guide"
*She looks through the most expensive price guide there*

"OK, it says it's worth $150, so I'll give you $50 in cash and $50 in store credit for your Blastoise."
"How about $60 in cash and $40 in store credit?"
"All right".

So that was the best deal I ever made. She had to keep marking down and marking down the blastoise cause no one was buying it lol.

Last edited:
Well, I remember one time, when I won the North Eastern Regionals, I got a combination of 36 Packs in total from 3 Different sets(TRR, DX and EM). Although I pulled a Medicham ex out first, later on after a few packs, I pulled Salamence EX, then Rocket's Mewtwo EX AND Rocket's Articuno EX in a row. Espeonchris15 and CharizardHector589 were suprised since they seen me open them.

This happened a few days ago, outside of Nintendo World, there was a Pokemon XD event. I volunteered, so did Shadowzangoose64, Bolt, Purity from Pokemon Zeo, Espeonchris15, and more people. I recieved a Box of Unseen Forces, and I pulled Espeon ex and Feraligatr ex all at once.

Coicedence? I think NOT!

a little while ago, me and my friend, Chuck (plays league, no pokegym account)
went to the Irvine UFO pre-release.
He was so mad that it cost 20 dollars, but he couldn't turn back.
So he did it anyway, not very happy for a while.
At the end, he met the ShuffleCut guy, and had enough money to buy one pack.
he bought a FRLG pak.
The cuy at the counter said that if he pulled a Charizard, he'd give him a thousand bucks.
Next thing I know, Chuck has a Sharizard ex in his hands.
He sold it back to the guy, and Chuck got 20 dollars ("rip-off artist" Chuck told everyone.)
Before I knew it, there were maybe fifteen-twenty five people crowding around.
Chuck was repeatedly buying FRLG paks and kept pulling rare cards (eventually, he pulled a Moltres ex and some others)
at the end of the event, he had bought 30 different paks, and sold ShuffleCut out of frlg paks.
Chuck had come with 20 dollars and left with 50.
It did make me kinda mad, because I had a whole mess of cards I wanted to sell, and neglected to bring em.

oh, and a while earlier, at the league, Jade wanted a Pop pack and got one for fighting her last Premier.
Chrisbo told her that if it had an armaldo ex in it, it was his (as a joke)
Sure enough, Jade pulled an armaldo ex.
Jade still kept it.

Last edited:
Once at league (2004) I wanted a pop rayquaza so bad so i worked and earned a pack. When our Leader handed me a pack he said there is a quaza in this one...so i opened it and shure enoughf there was quaza!

At worlds this year, I leave the playing area after my last round, my record being 5-3. I go up to Rep13, fill him in about my game, and say something along the lines of "I'd better not get 33rd." Sure enough, 33rd place. =(

I haven't been seriously playing long enough to have many stories, but we'll see by the end of this season.

ok this happend to my friend i witnessed it,...... i introduced a friend to the game' the only cards he had were the ones i gave him like 100 cards to start,no ex's of course i only had like 3 at the time but been playing for like 3 months i bought alot of boosters over those 3 months he finally dicided to buy some. i was ike witch oe u going to choose he chose frlg x2 i said u sure i always got kingler or seaking from frlg he said hes sure he pulled a ARTICUNO EX SECRET RARE!!! then he was like hahahahah i was furios then opened the other booster he got a mr.mime ex!! i was like noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i almost quit j/k but i was like mad for a week.

I got a good one, stright from Phoenix PRA:

My brother owed me a few card packs for various odd jobs I'd done around the house, and he refused to pay one. So, he then tried to pay me with one he'd opened, but I wouldn't take it. Now earlier that day, we'd given a Pokemon Yatzee my brother won to a family that didn't win one in the raffle, and one of their kids came back giving us a card pack. So my brother then hands it to me, thus paying me off. I opened it and lo and behold, a Ho-Oh EX was waiting for me. It goes to show that there is poetic justice out there (I also later draw a Tyranitar EX, so ha again. He later draws a Meganium EX, but he was still bummed out about the Ho-Oh EX).

I brought by dad to a UF prerelease in Wheatridge, Colo. The PTO there mixed up the packs before handing them out, saying 'we've mixed these up, so one person might get a box's worth of ex's (3) or none at all'. I opened my six packs, and got a Umbreon EX, Espeon EX, and Scizor EX. I asked around to see if anyone at my table got any ex's (it was a small prerelease, and I was afraid I got all the ex's at my table). My dad seemed dissapointed. I asked him why-he said that he didn't get many good cards, just some wierd Raikou that alot of kinds were ga-ga over. Raikou*, of course.

So between me and his 12 packs, we cleared the rarest cards out of 32 card box. :p

My 1st card story is easy to explan and im pritty sure you all has experced this before.

CARDS + WASHER = BAD

Another 2 card storys was at the FrLg Prerelease in Miami FL. First when we were making our decks i pulled BLEX my friend Richerd pulled CHEX and his sister pulled VEX and what do you know we have the basics to play our respeable cards but not the stage ones and of coarse the person sitting next to us pulled 2-3 of each one we needed.

The next story that happened in Miami involves my friend richerd again, this date of this prereleased falled on his birthdate so we sang happy birthday at the end of the event and the PTO gave him a spare FrLg pack, now the PTO needed a few cards to conplete his set, one of them was a BLEX and what does rich open a BLEX.

Not really a card story, but close...

Whenever I participate in a prerelease or a pass-draft, I always roll a 6 sided die to decide which packs to open first. Its mainly hoping for good luck on what I pull!

A story I heard recently...

One kid at my league opened about 50 POP1 booster packs without any success at getting so much as an Uncommon, much less a Rare. The last 20 that he opened all had 1 rare, at the very least. I think the best one he got during that stretch was Armaldo ex and Pupitar, but don't quote me on that.

bullados said:
A story I heard recently...
bullados said:

One kid at my league opened about 50 POP1 booster packs without any success at getting so much as an Uncommon, much less a Rare. The last 20 that he opened all had 1 rare, at the very least. I think the best one he got during that stretch was Armaldo ex and Pupitar, but don't quote me on that.
How did a kid at your league get 50 POP 1 packs?

Sorry for asking, but after reading about 'your league' that didn't get it's materials....

'mom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back