Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Rocks? You be the judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaytonGymLeader

Well, the family and I toddled off to St. Louis, MO for Pokemon Rocks. Let me say this right off the top. Our expectations were high. We were expecting a large event.

The venue was St. Louis Union Station in downtown St. Louis. The place is a former train station turned mall. We arrived somewhere around 10:30, parked and started to walk to the event. We say a whole bunch of Pokemon related blowups (like the inflatible gorillas and godzillas at the car dealerships) outside the entrance to the mall. We're thinking that it's just advertising for the event inside - how wrong we were. Union Station's outside area isn't totally exposed to the elements. It's outside, but parts of it (very patchy parts) are covered (this was the area where the trains actually were boarded, etc). The folks in Europe should know what I'm talking about here. The first thought that came to both the wife and I -

1. It's October
2. It's the Mid-West
3. It's outside

All 3 are not a good combination. It was overcast and about 50 degrees outside. Throw into the mix that it's raining on and off and you should get the picture. Granted, most of the events are inside small (emphasize small) tents so that the participants and staff can stay somewhat out of the weather.

There were a few distinct areas:

TCG - Two medium sized tents - 1 for open play (and not much of this going on) and 1 for teaching people how to play being run by Meganium45 and some of the locals from the area.

Video Games - The largest tent in the group - Here you can play all kinds of Pokemon Games, for Game Cube (you could preview Pokemon Channel) and Gameboy (they had all these hooked up to Game Cubes with the Gameboy Player). You could also see some preview footage (all Japanese) of Colleseum (which looks slick, IMO).

Carnival Games - 3 small tents - In these tents you could try your luck to win Pokemon merchandise (such as Pokemon Batteries - yes folks Pokemon Batteries, the collectible figures that were given out at the Summer Conventions, etc, etc) at 3 different games - Beanbag Tic-Tac-Toe (like Toss-Across for you kids of the 70s and 80s), Plinko, and a Wheel-O-Pokemon.

Main Stage - Here they ran contests of all sorts with all kinds of product for prizes.

Merchandise Preview Tent - Here you could see new items that would be coming up for sale at retailers across the country (and exclusive Pokemon Center items).

Pokemon Center - Buy your Pokemon related stuff here. This was a HUGE letdown for us. We expected much more than the VERY limited selection of products - a few shirts (no adult sizes still), the Wooper Pokemon Mini and Pinball game, a starter set of the 2" figures, Sandstorm and R/S Theme Decks, a Calendar, etc. Only 1 or 2 of the items for sale were actually branded with the Pokemon Center Logo. In total, there were about 15 different items available for sale, some were unavailable because of a shipping snafu (sound familiar Premier TOs?).

The Big Screen - Here you were able to see previews and such of the Pokemon TV Series.

The big suprise about the "mystery" Pokemon, was in fact Jirachi.

There were also the familiar Pokemon characters walking around the site, Treeko, Pikachu, Torchic, Mudkip, and Jirachi.

We'll post some pictures up later (need to format webpages and such).

Overall, Nintendo can call the event a success. It was targeted at the younger crowd (say 5 thru about 12) and they showed up in droves. There was enough there to keep the short attention spans occupied and possibly enough to generate some interest in the Brand.

Personally, I'd call the event not what we were looking for for the TCG crowd. Believe it or not, there was NOT a TCG tournament going on. If there would have been one going on, this would have brought in even more. There needed to be more for the older crowd as well. This event was more or less an "awareness" event (thanks to Sensei for giving us the correct label, as it was eluding us). There were many things that could have been done better and some that were done just right. Hopefully, there will be improvements on the TCG side and something to bring in the older crowd as well in the remaining two stops.

What kind of information did they release on Jirachi? Only it's stats and stuff like they said? Or did they say how to get 'im?

Bah, I think they really screwed up big time, this time. I mean, Japan's already in development of a MOVIE based on the Wish pokemon. If they had at least information on how to get it, that would've made it worth while. But no, they made fools out of 'em selves this time.

I went to Pokemon Rocks and was one of Meganium45's volunteers. I knew it was going to be outside and i thought that it would be horrible disaster because of the rain, but I was wrong, people came pooring in. We ran out of booster packs to give away. When ever we gave out a booster pack we gave out flyers for the local league and our Dragon PreRelease on the 15th, so i think our player groups will rise up.

Jirachi looks pretty cool, it didn't tell how to get it but if i am correct its stats look pretty good.

All in all i think it was a big succes, when ever a demonstration was giving in the TCG tent it was packed with kids wanting to learn how to play.

~Colin

Maybe everything turned out bad becuase of the weather. I don't think anyone would want to go out on a rainy day or very hot day. I hope that the San Diego event turns out alright.

Ultramew said:
Bah, I think they really screwed up big time, this time. I mean, Japan's already in development of a MOVIE based on the Wish pokemon. If they had at least information on how to get it, that would've made it worth while. But no, they made fools out of 'em selves this time.
The movie already came out three months ago. Japan is actually in development on the seventh movie, which we know nothing about.

I for one didn't expect Pokemon Rocks to be some kind of major TCG event. It was NEVER advertised as such. It's NOT listed on pokemon-tcg.com, so why would anyone think it's a big TCG event? It's not listed as a Premier Event, and there's nothing listed in Organized Play about Pokemon Rocks.

Like you said DGL, I think your expectations were "high", maybe too high.

I'd like to hear more from the TCG locals. Did it meet/exceed THEIR expectations. From what swanton said, it sounded pretty successful to me. Man, I expect the StL Dragon Pre-release to be one of the best-attended due to this excellent oppurtunity to advertise.

They weren't high for the TCG portion - it was exactly as I expected. As Colin had both said, it was very successful for the TCG for bringing in new players. That in its own right, makes it a success. It could have been more successful if there was more for the entire spectrum of TCG Players and other folks who have interest in the brand. We expected a larger event overall, not just for the TCG.

I have gone to Pokemon.com several times, and attempted also to download the videos, however the video links don't seem to work properly. Has anyone else had this problem?

Skywolf1

SteveP said:
I for one didn't expect Pokemon Rocks to be some kind of major TCG event. It was NEVER advertised as such. It's NOT listed on pokemon-tcg.com, so why would anyone think it's a big TCG event? It's not listed as a Premier Event, and there's nothing listed in Organized Play about Pokemon Rocks.

Like you said DGL, I think your expectations were "high", maybe too high.

I'd like to hear more from the TCG locals. Did it meet/exceed THEIR expectations. From what swanton said, it sounded pretty successful to me. Man, I expect the StL Dragon Pre-release to be one of the best-attended due to this excellent oppurtunity to advertise.

None of the TCG players who helped demonstrate ever had a moment to take a break so it definitly exceeded our expectations. The TGG tent was constantly filled and people would wait outside of the tent to listen to the next demonstration. IMO if it was any larger we wouldn't have been able to handle it all.

That is just speaking for the TCG portion, i am not sure about the other parts of the place because i didn't get a very good chance to wander around and see what was going on.

All of the St. Louis TCG crew were very happy with how it turned out. OUr prerelease i think will be very large.

~Colin

I don't know if it's to early to ask this, but, does any one know if the pokemon rocks event will be canceled because of the fires :fire: . i mean i'm from SD and it's getting very bad down here, and nintendo might see this and think not a lot of people might show up. hope every thing turns out fine and i get to see a lot of people over there.

I hope not, because it was a neat celebration of Pokemon Event. I feel lucky that St. Louis Pokemon showed off its best colors with the group of volunteers we had working together! Made me feel extremely proud to be connected to such a fine group of young people (and Ron LOL).

No tourneys, but a great opportunity for new players to get a feel for the game, and for veterans to get to see the new Dragon Cards, and some of the other fun of Pokemon. Major props to my son who won a freeze dancing event on stage!

See you all at my DRAGON Event (either in St. Louis or in Memphis!)

KUDOS to all who came, and who helped, or who just played. Major props to Tim, my non-volunteer helper!!! You WILL be rewarded for your loyalty!

M45

pokepsy said:
I don't know if it's to early to ask this, but, does any one know if the pokemon rocks event will be canceled because of the fires :fire: . i mean i'm from SD and it's getting very bad down here, and nintendo might see this and think not a lot of people might show up. hope every thing turns out fine and i get to see a lot of people over there.

I doubt they will cancel anything. The event is still weeks away and the fires are still very far away from the city center.

...and the fires will definately be gone by then. News channels have been reporting there will be no winds on Thursday and it will be overcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back