Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"Pokemon TCG NOT for collecting" says NoA

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainbowRichards

I emailed [email protected] late last week (thanks SteveP for the addy posted elsewhere!) to ask for some sort of help with the large numbers of production-damaged cards I received in the sealed case of Team Rocket Returns.

Out of 54 normal holos (not EX or 'star' - just the holos #1 - 14 that generally come 9 per box), 5 were found with scratches right out of the pack, rendering them non-mint and not suitable for collection purposes. This is almost 10% of the regular holos - a slap in the face, and if that were all I wouldn't really complain.

Out of 216 reverse holos (36 per box), 40 were likewise received with scratches. Many of these were quite prominent - 2 or 3 straight horizontal scratches accross the holo area - and all resulted from the production processes. This is 18.5% of my cash outlay rendered worthless for the intended purpose! More than 1 full box-worth of reverse holos scratched :mad:

I contacted the dealer, who contacted his distributor, but no answer was provided. I then forwarded that email to the Nintendo address above. They replied a couple of days later, asking me to call them since my problem was "unique".

I called on Monday, finally getting through their downed phone lines in the evening. The representative was very courteous, taking notes of my 'complaint', and let me know the matter had to be referred higher up the chain. He indicated I 'might' be called back the same day, or the next.

The next day came and went without a call-back, so I called tham back the day following (yesterday) to inquire. This time the representative indicated it could take 3 or 4 business days, which I said was fine - I would patiently await their call.

Imagine my surprise at dinner that evening when I was called back by the same representative I had spoken with on Monday! The problem was, their Consumer Service Administration Department had discussed my situation, and passed their decision on to me (through the representative) - 'our purpose for the cards is for playing, not as a collectible'... :eek:

I was floored :nonono: - I certainly hadn't expected this. :mad:

I was thinking, as cheap as it is to make these cards, they would be able to exchange bad for good. They do, but only when a card or cards in a pack are physically mangled - then they will exchange booster for booster.

But my problem was 'unique' and one they didn't feel compelled to rectify...

So beware - don't collect Pokemon TCG - that's not what it's made and sold for. The thousands of dollars invested in your collections don't matter to Nintendo of America. They're just for playing...

signed,
a very disillusioned consumer

Last edited:
At least you got an answer, here they asked the distributor about their filosophy for damaged cards and no reply at all.

TRR has a lot of bad cards, from damaged untill completly Yellow.
Fun that they are for playing, that must be the reason we don't have leagues and tournaments here, we have to many collectors.

And your problem is certainly not unique, one of us mailed some damage miscolored cards (to the US officia) and got a few boosters as replacement. But we still have lots of them.

Last edited:
at last the true nature of the beast reveals itself...

that's crazy man! i do believe ya though, as i've gotten damaged cards myself, and been fed that company line. i didn't really care though. as i only play personally, i don't collect. and i'm a bit weird, i only use my fave pokemon.

anyhow, i'm gonna send you a PM.

yeah, back when red/green came out, i got a card that got stuck in the end of the pack when it was closed, and it had glue n weird marks all over it.

all i wanted was a mt.moon to replace it, but they wanted to give me some "random booster"

i totally understand what ya mean though brian,

i have a hat that says, "another disgruntled customer" i always wear when i'm out shopping.

I find that disgusting. That's pathetic. They should have their heads rammed up drainpipes for that. Very small drainpipes.

Whether they are meant for collecting or not, its no excuse not to replace predamaged goods. And THAT's their answer for so many damaged cards, that you bought wanting to be in mint condition..... you're not supposed to collect them?

I recommend legal action..... surely you have rights here?

They'll need to change all their packaging and advertising then. It has "Trading Card Game" prominently all over the place...

Since your cards are not fit for "trading", they are not providing the promised product.

I too have had a few damaged reverse cards as well. I even think I mistakenly sent some to you as well one time. I realize this is probably a more common problem than they know. Do you think Ford, GM, Mazda, Honda, GE, and other corporation's customers would appreciate the products they buy to be all scratched up? Problem is, that until there is enough of an outcry, I have a feeling nothing serious will be done about it. I've tried as well, but at least you got a response. I didn't. Good luck there.

This is not unique in the trading card industry. Not every card that comes out of a pack is Mint 10 (on Beckett's grading scale), or even Near Mint 9.

Nevertheless, it IS a costumer satisfaction issue. I'm surprised they didn't at least ask you to send them some of the cards to inspect. Obviously, someone in the customer service department wasn't interested in trying to satisfy you.

NOTE: I'm not making ANY accusations here. Just a comment from what I saw on a TV news report a few weeks ago regarding customers who excessively complain and/or return products.

Or, you've been flagged by their costumer service department as someone not to provide satisfaction to any more, for whatever reason.

Last edited:
In the old days when a damaged card, usually a holo, was pulled from a pack, Wizards of the Coast would ask you to send it to them and they would promptly replace it. No questions asked. I've send back up to a dozen cards at a time, always with replacements arriving within a week with an apology from customer service.

My boys' collections are all "mint" condition cards, up to the end of the sets produced by WotC. Unfortunately, with R&S and forward, their collections are "near mint." There are hard core collectors who strive for "mint" collections, but to many, if not most, "mint" means going through the wash less than 3 times. Maybe that's the majority of collectors, it's just not us.

Wow! Love the many replies!

Lia - I didn't even think about it from a retailer's Point of View! Imaging getting 100's of un-salable cards in sealed product :frown:, and just having to 'suck it up'!

mike - thanks for the offer to send a bunch of extras and stuff from my Wants! Have to refuse, and ask you to use them for more deserving ppl (like your league players)!

Dom - I can't even imagine going to those extremes about a 'handful' of scratched playing cards (BTW, the customer service rep did use that example "we view it as if you had bought a poker deck...blah blah blah").

Mike - I [b[did[/b] emphasise the Trading Card Game in the product name, but to that they said simply "yeah, trade cards to play with"!

Garret - Yeah, if it were only as many scratched as in past expansions - this time it was more than a whole box worth of RHs :tongue:

Steve - I was quite surprised at the total lack of any attempt at all to remedy matters (no, I'm not on their DNS list YET - AFAIK [Do Not Satisfy] lol)

sean - the issue is with holo and reverse holo cards that came out of the boosters in a scratched condition...

Bob - although I'm the first to admit a very strict idea of 'mint', many of these were badly scratched, obviously by a machine process :frown:.

That was stupid, another proof that PUI does not care about the players, another big one was GenCon 2004, but I could go on for hours on that.....

Brian - somewere far away in my memory I know there was a topic with reply from PUI.
It said something that the players are buying only a small part of the total produced amount of cards.
That is also given as the reason why price support is less outside the US.

And now Nintendo is telling you that cards are made for playing.
If they had only players buying them, they would be out of bussiness.

The majority of cards goes to collectors and parents buying a pack once in a while for their kids.
I don't have time to dig up that old topic, but it's here on the gym, with PUI responding very different than the answer you got.

man, that stinks. I got a rockets syther ex in a pack and a part of the picture looks like the ink didn't stay on, its just shiny little specs.

Personally, I would send them off to Seattle anyway, with a return envelope and a cover letter explaining the situation and containing the cards.

With a SASE - you are making it easier for them to respond or to help you.

You don't like the condition anyway...I would send them off.

Thanks

Vince

Hiro said:
That was stupid, another proof that PUI does not care about the players, another big one was GenCon 2004, but I could go on for hours on that.....

Please bear in mind - this was Nintendo of America's customer service response - I asked for (and was given) the mailing address of the responsible Director's mailing address at NoA in Redmond, WA.

So, saying that PUI doesn't care is not a valid statement, from my perspective.

Maybe I should try to contact PUI??? I thought that the TCG product (and it's production) fell under NoA...

...now that I have received email reply, I can post that (as a direct result of this thread) I was contacted by a PUI representative, and we are looking at ways to "make this customer a satisfied one"!

wow...

They Do Care! **sniff, sniff - tears of joy**

Why did you call Nintendo? I would think PUI would handle anything to do with the card game.

Yeah maybe or maybe not. is there a particular number to call for the Pokemon TCG info and stuff? That entire phone conversation and all didnt one bit sound like it was the good of Nintendo or anything for that matter, I would contact PUI first and see what they say.

I have to agree with the people wondering why this wasn't brought up to POP/PUI first rather than with NOA; if POP/PUI wasn't the place to go to for TCG-related complaints like this, I'd think they'd be happy to send you 'up the chain' where it _should_ go. It was always my impression that NOA didn't really have much (if anything) to do with the TCG side of things since that's what POP was for.

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you though Brian :)

'mom

Well, I my defense, the customer representative I spoke with DID seem to be aware that they sometimes replace boosters containing damaged cards on a 1-for-1 basis.

The email address reflected tradingcard@ so it seemed reasonable that it would be the right one to use. I didn't find ANY contact info on the booster packs or box to point me in the right direction, and neither could my supplier.

I figured Organized Play (POP) wasn't the right place to go, and didn't have (didn't look for) a PUI contact email :tongue:

I'm just glad we have PUI folks lurking here... :smile:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back