Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon Tournament Rules updated for STP series

Hagrid23

A revised version of the Tourmnament Rules is now available (http://assets.pokemon.com/assets/cms/pdf/op/tournaments/2011/Pokemon_Tournament_Rules_EN-1-31-11.pdf) and will be in effect for the State/Territory/Provincial Series and beyond.

Section 22.3 has been updated to change the requirement for Game 2 of SEF:

GAME 2
If the last turn ends during game 2 and if either player has less than 50% of his or her
initial Prize cards remaining (2 in a Constructed format or 1 in a Limited format), the
player with the fewest Prize cards remaining wins the game. Otherwise, the game does
not count toward determining the winner of the match. The winner of game 1 wins the
match.

This change is consistent with the pre-Cities version.

So just to make sure i get it, if time is called I have to have taken 3 prizes for the game to count?

4, though that's not quite accurate.

You need to have 2 prizes remaining (in Constructed) or 1 prize remaining (in Limited) in order for the game to count. I believe that DPL's attack would increase the number of prizes you need to take for a game to count as "significant", or something like that.

4, though that's not quite accurate.

You need to have 2 prizes remaining (in Constructed) or 1 prize remaining (in Limited) in order for the game to count. I believe that DPL's attack would increase the number of prizes you need to take for a game to count as "significant", or something like that.

Makes sense.

I approve.

they were just listening to everyone complaining....

Exactly. They were actually listening to the feedback that people were giving over the change. And I just want to point out to all the people who said things like this, this, or this (basically implying that there's no point in arguing and that we should all just adapt to P!P's bad decisions) that this is a good indicator of why people get on the PokeGym and voice their opinion! If players didn't share their opinions about P!P's decisions, this thread wouldn't even exist. Sometimes the arguments get heated and people may take things too seriously, but I for one am very happy with P!P that they changed a ruling that many people called an "absolute disaster."

Thank you P!P for adding a little light to an otherwise dark, boring season.

As I already said in the Professor forums, thanks again for bringing back the old rule - this will make matches a lot fairer and give slower decks better changes in top cut. =)

Now let's just hope that LostGar isn't as broken as its hype says and we'll have an interesting States metagame.

^
yeah this rule change should help LostGar b/c now if it wins game one(presumably longish) then it doesn't automatically lose game 2 and 3. Also the rule change does hurt LuxChomp to an extent b/c now luxchomp can't afford to lose a long game and then just get 2 prizes quickly to win game 2.

The documents says:

Less than 50% of the INITIAL prizes.
Which means in my opinion 4 out of the 6 original prizes. (in constructed)

In case of Dialga/Palkia adding prizes, it's a matter of keeping track of your initial prizes and added prizes.
One of my solutions to this was to turn additional prizes 90 degrees and take your initial prizes before taking added ones.

I will ask on the prof forum if this is the correct way.

Edit: it says Less than 50%

Last edited:
Doesnt that actually mean 50% of the NUMBER of prizecards you start with?

Anyway, great P!P listened to the players, Im really happy about this :)

E:/ Wait, does this mean the +3 turns are gone again? Thats sad, the change was perfect :/ But its still better like this.

Exactly. They were actually listening to the feedback that people were giving over the change.

To be clear we took a long hard look at the effect the old rule had on Cities from both a player and an organizers standpoint before reaching the conclusion to make this most recent change.

Yes, feedback from our players and organizers played a part in our decision but I would like to point out that there is a big difference between a lot of the ranting that went on and useful feedback. One actually tends to be considered the other does not.

The wrong way.
There was plenty of this so I'm not going to pick on any one person.

There was much less of this.
Remember, it's not the amount of noise you make, it's the amount of sense you make. ;)

Last edited:
The documents says:

Less than 50% of the INITIAL prizes.
Which means in my opinion 4 out of the 6 original prizes. (in constructed)

In case of Dialga/Palkia adding prizes, it's a matter of keeping track of your initial prizes and added prizes.
One of my solutions to this was to turn additional prizes 90 degrees and take your initial prizes before taking added ones.

I will ask on the prof forum if this is the correct way.

Edit: it says Less than 50%
Lia: There is no need to keep track of how many prizes were taken if DPL is in use.
What matters is how many prizes are left, not how many were taken.
If two or less are left on one player's side, the game counts.
If three or more are left on both players' sides, the game does not count.

Bottom line, DPL needs to win Game 1.

Doesnt that actually mean 50% of the NUMBER of prizecards you start with?

Anyway, great P!P listened to the players, Im really happy about this :)

E:/ Wait, does this mean the +3 turns are gone again? Thats sad, the change was perfect :/ But its still better like this.

+3 turns are still there as you can read in the document (link in first post)

To be clear we took a long hard look at the effect the old rule had on Cities from both a player and an organizers standpoint before reaching the conclusion to make this most recent change.

Yes, feedback from our players and organizers played a part in our decision but I would like to point out that there is a big difference between a lot of the ranting that went on and useful feedback. One actually tends to be considered the other does not.

The wrong way.
There was plenty of this so I'm not going to pick on any one person.

The right way. There was much less of this.

Remember, it's not the amount of noise you make, it's the amount of sense you make. ;)

This is the right way :lol:?

No four prizes is good. Remember before it had to be all 6 to count. I sm glad they fixed this problem before the big tournaments got here.

Back