Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon used to be fun.

takkun 08

I remember before there were Lv. X pokemon, and pokemon with only pokebodies and pokepowers yet no attacks. Things were simple, people abused specific deck builds like "Ludicargo" and "Dark Steelix", and Star and EX pokemon were new to the world. I don't understand why old sets keep getting banned, and I'm really upset. It seems that the company just decided they wanted to spam sets of the same old thing rather than be creative. Do any of you remember how amazing the Deoxys and Emerald sets were when they first came out? Anyways, sorry for ranting, I just don't know if I should trust the new generations, or bother looking into them at all.

The reason for rotation is to keep you spending money. If the official format was unlimited, they would sell almost no product to competative players at this point.

EX pokemon weren't new to the world when Deoxys and Emerald came out, and correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure the only really "good" card in Emerald was Medicham ex.

Before deoxys/emerald there were archetypes too. BAR, Gardy, Team Magma, WailWall, Metabyss, Shiftry...

Even before then, during e-series there were simple combos that were abused. I didn't play during that time frame so I'm not familiar with them.

Prior to that in Neo series you got decks like Purple Haze, Big Opinion, EnCargo, Paraphlosion...

edit: and let's not forget e-series had Crystal types, Neo series had Shining Pokemon. There were precursors to pokemon-ex and pokemon-star too.

Game's largely the same now as it was when ex:Emerald came out, just with different cards available. The general idea is the same.

edit:

The reason for rotation is to keep you spending money. If the official format was unlimited, they would sell almost no product to competative players at this point.

It's also to keep the format fresh without constant power creep. Purple Haze probably would've been dominant all through ex series if it'd stayed legal... at least until DP1's release when Lucario might've been able to turn the tables, finally.

I think he wasn't refering to archtypes being bad, but rather he liked the format back then more tha now. Thats how I feel as well. Archtypes are a good thing over all IMO because they give the game consistancy.

Game's largely the same now as it was when ex:Emerald came out, just with different cards available. The general idea is the same.

It's also to keep the format fresh without constant power creep. Purple Haze probably would've been dominant all through ex series if it'd stayed legal... at least until DP1's release when Lucario might've been able to turn the tables, finally.

...Yeeeah. About that power creep. Kinda hard to say we don't have very extreme power creep right now. When a card like Gallade, that can deal essentially an OHKO to anything it wants, or ensured 2HKO to anything for a mere three energy isn't considered the scariest card in the format...

I think it'd be hard to say that there isn't creative stuff in these last few sets. The SP Mechanic has so many options available to it that if you manage to survive the first three turns (single largest problem with current format) that you'll have an interesting game pretty much no matter what (...Unless you're playing Dialga G and just spaming Deafen. In which case, shame on you).

i think if they kept all cards in format we would have some pretty nasty combos and such that would ruin the game completly so i think its for the better lol

...Yeeeah. About that power creep. Kinda hard to say we don't have very extreme power creep right now. When a card like Gallade, that can deal essentially an OHKO to anything it wants, or ensured 2HKO to anything for a mere three energy isn't considered the scariest card in the format...

Power creep was pretty cleanly evaded throughout most of the ex series. DP brought about changes that definitely elevated the strength of most pokemon, but increased HP and diminished weakness at the same time so it roughly evens out - within a vacuum, at least.

edit: and it's not like Gallade was the first back-to-back OHKO deck. BAR? ZRE? MetaNite? Storm?

Note also that Gallade was made in response to Blissey being too strong as a wall.

There is nothing stopping you from playing your old deck(s) at league or for casual play. I still have some of my decks from Base, Gym, and Neo and play them against other people's old decks or players who don't have crazy broken competitive decks.

And it's supposedly to keep the format fresh, etc but also for money reasons. However, I remember back in the day when Rocket's Zapdos was a really broken card. Rotating the format allows broken cards to be rotated out without just banning a card. Which is not to say that banning shouldn't be done, because it should, but whatever.

Also, the game today and the classic game aren't even comparable to each other. They are broken in different ways. Back then, you could easily play two or three Bills on your first turn. I know, because I've done it. The draw power today is a lot less, but the pokemon are stronger. Back then it took two or three turns to get a Blastoise out or whatever. Nowadays you can get a Gallade out on turn one. o_O

The game is fun BECAUSE they retire the older sets and release new cards regularly. 90% or more of this game happens before the cards ever hit the table. Postulating what might work what won't and testing against what might be played is the game.

This is pretty much a complete paradox:
I remember before there were Lv. X pokemon, and pokemon with only pokebodies and pokepowers yet no attacks.It seems that the company just decided they wanted to spam sets of the same old thing rather than be creative.

...you complain about new "Lv X" game mechanics, and then you complain of sets having "the same old thing?"
That makes nooo sense whatsoever. You are given new mechanics and you complain. I personally disliked ex Pokemon, Lv X Pokemon make more sense and make a more diverse metagame to me.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Power creep was pretty cleanly evaded throughout most of the ex series.

...are you SERIOUS?!?!? Power creep was more present in the Ex series than any other time. Look at the Ex Pokemon from the first few sets... they are AWFUL!

Last edited:
Yeah, and then in the second ex series set, the ex's were already at roughly the power level they needed to be, with the third ex series set bringing us the notorious armour-piercing bullet Rayquaza ex.

Do you even know what power creep means?

PLox is only a small tip of the iceberg of what would still be played if everything was legal. the whole game would take place the first turn.

Sure, if EVERYTHiNG was legal, but why not have somehting like Magic's type 1.5? In that, every set is legal, but certain cards are banned, to prevent crazyness.

. . . which couldn't be built by players who couldn't afford/find expensive cards that went out of print years ago.

Back