Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon X & Y news from E3 - Release date October 12th - WORLDWIDE!

ultimatedra

[GAL=54867] The new FAIRY type, like Sylveon, is super effective against Dragon types![/GAL]
Tons of info is due to be released later today at E3 for a pokemon roundtable, but from the Nintendo direct conference there is lots of new info for X & Y.

• New trailer can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gmywDbnC5oc
  • Most of this info has been updated at http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/root/
  • Release date is October 12th WORLDWIDE. About time we have a simultaneous release.
  • Fairy type is confirmed. Sylveon, Gardevior, Marill, and Jigglypuff are confirmed to be of this type.
  • Fairy is super effective against dragon. 2 new moves include Moonblast (confirmed for Sylveon) and Fairy wind (confirmed for Gardevior)
  • Pokemon-amie is a way to feed and play with your pokemon.
  • 2 new pokemon revealed: Noivern (Flying/Dragon pokemon using a new move, boomburst) and Vivillon (Bug/Flying pokemon)
  • Aparently you can accidentally step on pokemon too like Heliophile.
Add more as it comes people!

Last edited:
I really hope this Pokemon-amie feature works for every Pokemon and not just for some. So far I'm pleased with this.

I also hope since they are going back to change Pokemon typings and such that they fix older Pokemon base stats to make them more competitive and fix the power creep. This really needs to happen.

Hey, I just had a thought. If they changed Marill to a Water/Fairy type then is Pikachu going to be an Electric/Fairy type since they're both mouse Pokemon?

I doubt they would make Pikachu an Electric/Fairy type because it was a mono-electric type for so long that changing it would pretty much be Nintendo messing with our minds.

If Pokémon really wanted to mess with our minds- they will announce a second new type in the next few weeks--

If Pokémon really wanted to mess with our minds- they will announce a second new type in the next few weeks--

At this point, im ready for anything. I really want to hear that they are raising base stats of older pokemon to make them better.

I doubt they would make Pikachu an Electric/Fairy type because it was a mono-electric type for so long that changing it would pretty much be Nintendo messing with our minds.

Then why would they change Jigglypuff to a Fairy type if it's been around just as long as Pikachu? You may doubt that they'll do it but bye the looks of things, they're reclassifying older Pokemon, with a single type and look cute or sweet to Fairy type.

grrrrr... Why keep the archaic grid-based movement? That hasn't been acceptable in a major franchise since, what, about 2005? I want my freeform, omnidirectional movement like every other AAA game has had since the PS2 era.

That is such a bad name for a Pokemon and with such bad typing. Heres to hoping they dont have Stealth Rock in the game since I plan on using one.
Stealth Rock will most likely be implemented, as with all moves from previous generations, to maintain compatibility. If they are trainers in-game who make use of this on purpose is another question, but i wouldn't expect it from the next classical Pokémon installments.

Also, Talonflame, although Flarrow would be arguably more clever, is not too bad in my opinion. Although i fail to comprehend why the decided to focus on their talons other than the description mentioning them. Something that is - also arguably - worse is the decision to name Noivern UHaFnir (UHF + Fafnir) in German, just to redundantly reference the name origin.

As you probably know, more Pokémon have been revealed through E3 and leaking scans of CoroCoro magazine. Since nobody posted them here yet, i'll grasp this opportunity.

Revealed through E3:
Skrelp - Water/Poison - Incorporates aspects of an rotten algae and a sea horse/dragon.
Clauncher - Water - Appears to be based on the pistol shrimp.

Revealed through CoroCoro magazine:
Spewpa/Kofuurai - Bug - Generic pupal stage bug Pokémon, evolves into Vivillion.
Kofukimushi - Bug - Generic larva bug Pokémon, evolves into Spewpa/Kofuurai.
Shishiko - Fire/Normal - Black fire lion cub with wide round eyes.
Furabebe - Fairy- Small fairy with ear-wings which carries a flower.

Well, since Im on vacation, I havent been able to weigh in just yet, but I love everything about the games revealed so far!

I personally do not care if we can carry over our mons from the last gen or not though- I have been around since the start (Genwunner that "LIKES" new Pokemon and is not a purist! lol), and I have already had to deal with the whole not transferring over thing. Also, the main positive it would allow (which I see a lot of people mentioning) is stat-redistribution for certian Pokemon that cant compete by todays battling standards, IV/EV refinement, Ability change-ups, redistribute moves to balance the game (TROLL ROCKS anyone?) and Im sure there are other things too.

If they changed the IV system to have only say, 15 variances for each stat, instead of 32, it would make it alot easier to breed better mons. EV system could be upped to a 715 system or something to account for less variances in stats. This would make your Pokemon more unique in a way YOU choose as opposed to whatever the game/RNG decides.

Id also love it if they just got rid of the "Shiny mechanic" and implemented a "varied color" mechanic instead. Like 1 in 4 mons could have 1 of 4 or 5 color variances. More variety is almost ALWAYS better. (The shiny Gogoat gave me this idea BTW, since its color pallet is so abysmally different.)

Anyways, on to the new mons-
Noivern- Upon first glance, I thought it was a bit ugly, but it has since grown on me- once I had a chance to inspect its design a bit closer. I first thought it was a Dragon evo for Swoobat, based on the ears, but now Im pretty convinced its a fresh mon.

Skelp- Looks like a poison evo for Seadra honestly, but meh, not too impressed.

Clauncher- Well, it is definitely a serious contender to take Froakies slot in my team alongside my main starter Chespin, I love its design and coloring, and to have a true Lobster mon (Corphish was meh) is defintiely nice.

The Cub- I like its design, even though its eyes are a bit derpy IMO, but it has a lot of potential (Manticore!) and Im curious to see what its secondary Normal typing becomes. It could have a spot for the Fire Type on my team, as long as FlameTalon doesnt end up being even more rad than the Cubs evo.

Flame Talon- Pretty awesome. I was seriously doubting Fletchling evolving into anything remotely cool looking, and the only other gen bird I have ever liked was Staraptor, so this is a second coming for me liking a starting bird a lot.

The butterfly and the fairy are the worst designs of the bunch IMO- they all have unique things about them that i can appreciate, but I wont be using them most likely. I was actually hoping that GF could do some more interesting type combinations with Bug this time around, but Bug/Flying is as weak a combo as ever, and its not getting any better. Also, I would have definitely liked a more unique and less stereotypical fairy to be revealed along with the type. Oh well though.

I cant wait to see what other crazy things they are implementing or changing with these new additions to the Pokemon franchise. October just cannot come soon enough! And FWIW- Im taking 5 straight days off work just to marathon the hell out of these games when I get them!

Stealth Rock will most likely be implemented, as with all moves from previous generations, to maintain compatibility. If they are trainers in-game who make use of this on purpose is another question, but i wouldn't expect it from the next classical Pokémon installments.

Also, Talonflame, although Flarrow would be arguably more clever, is not too bad in my opinion. Although i fail to comprehend why the decided to focus on their talons other than the description mentioning them. Something that is - also arguably - worse is the decision to name Noivern UHaFnir (UHF + Fafnir) in German, just to redundantly reference the name origin.

As you probably know, more Pokémon have been revealed through E3 and leaking scans of CoroCoro magazine. Since nobody posted them here yet, i'll grasp this opportunity.

Revealed through E3:
Skrelp - Water/Poison - Incorporates aspects of an rotten algae and a sea horse/dragon.
Clauncher - Water - Appears to be based on the pistol shrimp.

Revealed through CoroCoro magazine:
Spewpa/Kofuurai - Bug - Generic pupal stage bug Pokémon, evolves into Vivillion.
Kofukimushi - Bug - Generic larva bug Pokémon, evolves into Spewpa/Kofuurai.
Shishiko - Fire/Normal - Black fire lion cub with wide round eyes.
Furabebe - Fairy- Small fairy with ear-wings which carries a flower.

Well, the game is not maintaining compatibility. This is true with Pokemon being retyped to fairy. I also think they will be removing the sky drop glitch with gravity. This is a completely new game in the series so I'm expecting a complete overhaul of the system.

Well, the game is not maintaining compatibility. This is true with Pokemon being retyped to fairy. I also think they will be removing the sky drop glitch with gravity. This is a completely new game in the series so I'm expecting a complete overhaul of the system.
We don't know if the game won't be maintaining compatibility. To add a new type to a Pokémon or move from past generations was possible since the second generation. Base stat alteration appears to be more complicated Although the only official statement regarding compatibility is "We're working on it.", this indeed seems like a good opportunity to add such drastic changes.

Last edited:
I personally do not care if we can carry over our mons from the last gen or not though- I have been around since the start (Genwunner that "LIKES" new Pokemon and is not a purist! lol), and I have already had to deal with the whole not transferring over thing. Also, the main positive it would allow (which I see a lot of people mentioning) is stat-redistribution for certian Pokemon that cant compete by todays battling standards, IV/EV refinement, Ability change-ups, redistribute moves to balance the game (TROLL ROCKS anyone?) and Im sure there are other things too.

Remind me of this next time if anyone from Pokemon chooses to ask your opinion on whether we can transfer Pokemon or not. I personally, would maybe quit playing Pokemon with we weren't able to transfer Pokemon over as I've spent years catching and training them and I don't want to just leave them on my shelf to rot. In summary, No Transfer = crappy game.

Didn't stop RS from selling over 15 million copies, more than BW.

Remind me of this next time if anyone from Pokemon chooses to ask your opinion on whether we can transfer Pokemon or not. I personally, would maybe quit playing Pokemon with we weren't able to transfer Pokemon over as I've spent years catching and training them and I don't want to just leave them on my shelf to rot. In summary, No Transfer = crappy game.

It doesnt make it any more or less of an awesome game- PLUS it would allow them to re-balance the game- as I ALSO stated. Its not very balanced as is, and power creep is just as prevalent in the games as it is in the TCG. Only difference is, since the games are boasting pretty much brand new everything, this is a good chance for them to fix existing problems with competitive and make it an even better experience. No transfer =/= crappy game. No transfer = rcxd999 choosing to stay out of a brand new generation that will be an amazing experience and entry into the franchise. :wink:

Didn't stop RS from selling over 15 million copies, more than BW.

Exactly. People dealt with it before, and with these two games bringing so many new features/mechanics to the table, it would hardly stop the games from selling well. Its Pokemon afterall.

Back