Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokeradar Shiny Method

ColdCoates90

Bleh. I chained all the way to 35 on tauros before breaking the chain earlier today. I continued doing chains all day until I finally saw a shiny patch with a chain of 1.I Had jolly synch active and it came out naughty -_-. Why is 40 the magic number though? What makes it so that shinies appear more often at THAT number?
I've only just recently started to chain for shinies and the only other one I've gotten was a Ditto at a chain of 14.

Also on a side note, should I only touch ideal patches that are XZZZZ0ZZZZX where 0 is you, Z are normal grass patches and X are the ideal patches? The place where I'm chaining only has 1 layer of grass that meet this requirement so I usually settle for ones that are one layer of grass closer.

[pre] 14747 - 40(n) Where P = Probability
P(shiny) = ------------------ and n = Chain length
2621440 x (41 - n) [/pre]

This is a formula plagerized from : http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/925601/48478

This forumal shows that the probability of
finding a shiny Pokemon with the Pokeradar DOES increase as the length of the
chain increases, and it also shows us that the optimum chain length is 40. Any
higher, and there will be no difference to the outcome of the equation, even
though it is impossible to divide by zero.

So, to summarize, your odds are at their best with a 40+ chain?

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

first one for me...today...Bidoof, 14 chain!:biggrin:

Last edited:
[pre] 14747 - 40(n) Where P = Probability
P(shiny) = ------------------ and n = Chain length
2621440 x (41 - n) [/pre]

That kinda explains why I got no shinies when my Magnemite chain hit the 80+ mark. (I got only 2 shiny magnemites) Still, I think those are good odds. And resetting every now and then while reaching the 40 mark slightly increases the chance of a shiny patch appearing.
~Cyber~

I haven't successfully chained yet x.x I caught shiny pachirisu when starting a chain for mareep or something though.

^Okay, first, may I please politely request you refrain from chatspeak? It makes my eyes hurt. Second, I'm not quite sure myself, but from what I understand when you use the Pokeradar repetitively it'll chain the last Pokemon you saw, so that as you us it you keep getting the same 'mon over and over again. It's also the perfect method of getting shinies.

...Well if I knew what you meant by chat talk I might consider it, but really, I don't know why I should have to abstain from posting here just because you said so. The point of a forum is to post.

...Well if I knew what you meant by chat talk I might consider it, but really, I don't know why I should have to abstain from posting here just because you said so. The point of a forum is to post.

I think he just types slow. He was talking about Cheese Ex.

...I can't get the chain past 20...

... a <1 in 20 chance of a shiny at 40... that's awesome!!!

Last edited:
Chaining is hard!

I know what you mean. I've gotten only a record of about 35 bidoofs and thats it.
P.S. I really wanna thank you for that extensive EV guide you created, It's saved me so much time on EV training.:biggrin:

P.P.S. The above was intended as a PM to Jran

Back