Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Popular choices for Regionals?

espeon1

Seeing as we only have about a month and a half til some of them start, I think it would be a good time to discuss some choices. Seeing as Kyogre is banned this year, it looks like there will be a major shift in just about every division because it was just so dominant a couple years ago.

I think Trick Room teams will be big, as well as teams using some distracters like Rage Powder Amoonguss or Follow Me Clefable. They are bulky enough to survive some hits and allow the rest of your team to get set up.

Conkeldurr I believe will be just about everywhere. Is it all Generations of pokemon now? If so, sand teams will be everywhere with the mole and Bright powder sub chomp.

The Genies will be pretty good this year. Landorus will be outclassed by Gliscor, Sand is good, but not by itself. Hariyama is probably going to be more used than Conkeldurr because of fake out, but Hitmontop and Weavile are the best fake out users imo. Trick Room isn't really good this year because almost all teams use slow pokemon and it's much, much easier to stall out a Trick Room now. The loss of Kyogre isn't that bad because politoed can be used to almost the same effect (not really almost, at least it has drizzle :p). I've tried Endeavor Clefable so much but it just hasn't been working. Amoonguss is still going to be big, but it won't define metagame like it did last year. Parasect will also be used a lot to counter rain teams and for a high attack. Check out DeagleBeagle's monthly blog at blogspot.com.

I agree with E4A - Trick room is way easy to play around. That is why the format will always be bring 6-choose 4 so you can have 2 pokemon to deal with non-ideal situations.
Everybody is already talking about drizzle-politoed. Rain just has WAY to much support. Thunder AND hurricane 100% accurate, Swift swim, hydration, dry skin are all in favor of rain.
And then there is always Blizzard-Hail teams. Use abomasnow, spam blizzard. Simple and hard hitting strategy.
With all the weather going on, roserade/raikou with weather ball could be useful.

Anyone have thoughts on a good physical attacking fire type? Actually, doesn't even have to be fire type, just needs to be strong and able to use fire type moves. I think Scizor will be a big choice. The Technician/Bullet Punch combo is just monstrous against plenty of pokemon.

First good physical fire attacker that comes too mind would be Entei. Also, even though this next suggested Pokie is under-used/never -used: Rapidash is a good physical fighter with speed, and can learn bounce, flare blitz, wild charge and low kick- you would be suprised at how this Rapidash can wreck havock now with wild charge- but- these two are the only fire pokies I use the most cuz Entie holds his own now, and Rapidash has so much coverage.

Also, technician+bullet punch (stab)+ life orb- if you can pull off one Swords dance, even better.

Anyone have thoughts on a good physical attacking fire type? Actually, doesn't even have to be fire type, just needs to be strong and able to use fire type moves. I think Scizor will be a big choice. The Technician/Bullet Punch combo is just monstrous against plenty of pokemon.

Scizor is not a doubles pokemon. It will take out things like Tyranitar, but when you are being attacked by 2 pokemon, you don't have time to roost or swords dance.

Scizor is not a doubles pokemon. It will take out things like Tyranitar, but when you are being attacked by 2 pokemon, you don't have time to roost or swords dance.

I don't agree with the first statement. Scizor has its use in Doubles. It just doesn't do the same things as in Singles. It's a Steel type and has access to a strong Priority move. It can definitely find a place on some VGC 2012 teams.

i'm not going my usually team of SS lol i know for sure... i might do something to be the best team ever... btw this will be my 1st year to compete in vgc

I don't agree with the first statement. Scizor has its use in Doubles. It just doesn't do the same things as in Singles. It's a Steel type and has access to a strong Priority move. It can definitely find a place on some VGC 2012 teams.

ehhhhh. It'll be played in rain teams, but I don't think it's that great.

Back