Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Possible Rotations: What We Would Lose And How It Could Be Replaced

Otaku

Over in another thread questioning when Rotation will be announced and what would comprise it, we began discussing what those changes might mean. The thing is... I think that is a very in depth conversation and one players might not be aware of (since it is a related but side topic in said thread).

So why don't we discuss this? There are some decks that will be completely dead losing what they lose... but others might just have to settle for a slightly less effective strategy, and especially early in the format that might suffice as a lot of decks will be doing the same thing (and thus not as competitive as they are now).

For the following, I am using a set's Pre-Release Promo to Promo cut offs; they might do something different, but it would get pretty confusing pretty quick. For the record, yes I consider no rotation to be a realistic option, however there is nothing to discuss in that circumstance. :lol: Odds are I will miss some relatively important cards, so let me know with a good explanation; one person's trash is another person's killer tech... but neither may be correct!

EPO-On (BW Promo cut off ???)
Energy Retrieval (BLW)
Energy Switch BLW
Super Scoop Up (BLW)

NVI-On
(BW Promo cut off ???)
Gothitelle (EPO)
Crushing Hammer (EPO)

NEX-On
(BW Promo cut off ???)
Cobalion (NVI)
Eelectrik (NVI)
Kyurem (NVI)
Victini (NVI)*

DEX-On
(BW Promo cut off BW40)
Double Colorless Energy (NEX)
Emboar (BLW)
Heavy Ball (NEX)
Level Ball (NEX)
Prism Energy (NEX)
Shaymin EX (NEX)
Skyarrow Bridge (NEX)
Zekrom EX (NEX)
Zoroark (NEX, most recent Foul Play printing)

DRX-On (BW Promo cut off BW48)
Accelgor (DEX)
Darkrai EX (DEX)
Mewtwo EX (BW Promo 45)
Raikou EX (DEX)
Sableye (DEX)
Tornadus EX (DEX)
Dark Claw (DEX)
Dark Patch (DEX)
Enhanced Hammer (DEX)
N (DEX)
Pokemon Catcher (DEX, assuming the Play! Promo doesn't count as a new release).

* Victini (BW Promo BW32) might keep the "Victory Star" Ability version for NEX-On, depending on the BW Promo cut off.

So... what might replace some of these cards? What cards have no replacement, even an inferior one? How do you think the format will change?

As an example... how many decks that use Energy Retrieval won't be able to at least "make do" with Super Energy Retrieval? None of them? All of them? Just some of them?

Last edited:
Did you mean to put a note in regarding Victini (NVI)?

Yes... I posted instead of previewing, so I edited that in, as well as notes about the cut offs in regards to Prerelease BW Promos.

Since this gives me a nice post to mention it, I will be updating the first post when someone points out something I missed.:redface:

I don't think they'd rotate to promo 40 for DEX-on, but rather, promo 46 so that Mewtwo EX goes away. Yes, I know, that Volcorona is from DEX, but it'd still be legal if you rotate the promo since it's printed in DEX, so no harm done, AND it gets rid of Mewtwo EX which, I feel, it's rather important.

I don't think they'd rotate to promo 40 for DEX-on, but rather, promo 46 so that Mewtwo EX goes away. Yes, I know, that Volcorona is from DEX, but it'd still be legal if you rotate the promo since it's printed in DEX, so no harm done, AND it gets rid of Mewtwo EX which, I feel, it's rather important.

It isn't like I have an inside contact; it just seems like it would be easier for all involved to actually use the Pre-Release Promo as the easy way to mark the cut off... but that doesn't mean the-powers-that-be will see it the same way. Still... why does Mewtwo EX need to go, and more so than say Darkrai EX?

Considering how ridiculously strong Caitlin is going to be in the next (Japanese) set, I doubt we'd miss N much.
For reference: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Caitlin_(Megalo_Cannon_72)

Looking at the recently printed cards, I think we can expect a reprint of DCE sooner or later. That, or they're really really forcing the Plasma Badge + Colress Machine mechanic into every non-Plasma deck). Still, it's notable that the 2 best users of DCE (Mewtwo and Tornadus) would be gone.

As of Catcher...while I highly doubt the card itself will be rotated out, it's funny that the format will already have replacements for it by that time, in the form of Genesect EX (and Ninetales). Sure, these cards require more work than a simple Trainer, but they still exist. Whether it will be necessary for decks to have a Catcher-like effect remains to be seen. Considering this, the latest Japanese meta decks all run 4 Catcher, so that should give us a hint about the next format (if no rotation or a small rotation happens)

Poor Durant will finally be dead. :(

While I'm excited for rotation, I'm just worried that if we get Battle Boost translated then we'll barely get any changes.

Regarding N I think he'll be here to stay though since there's one more reprint that we've yet to get.

Caitlin is not as strong as everyone thinks it is. It's nice but think about having Caitlin and 2 other cards in your hand. You're only going to draw 2 cards MAX. I wish we just got real supporters that help consistency...in a consistent way (lol), like searching cards out instead banking on luck to give us a nice hand off the shuffle :(

I hope there's no rotation, at least not until we're well into X and Y. As for replacement cards.

Gothitelle could be replaced by Stoutland/Ghetsis. Instead of locking their items, you trap them in a bad hand and force them into topdeck mode. I doubt this would be as effective as Gothitelle lock (they could always draw into a catcher or something), but a well timed stoutland lock could be game winning.

Accelgor could be replaced by Articuno EX. Again, not as effective, but maybe with Garbodor and Ghetsis you could get some kind of lock going.

Emboar and Eelectric would be replaced by Chandelure (PF). That + superrod would be the best way to consistently power up Rayquaza EX.

Colress could end up replacing N as a shuffle and draw supporter. (though it does lack the disruption).

As for Shaymin EX: Lucario from plasma storm is a beast. I run a deck with it online. It's very good late game and hits a lot of things for weakness regardless. It's easily one of my favorite cards. (could also replace Terrakion as a revenge killer).

I said it in another thread but if we rotate and its not in plasma blast we wont have basic energy (and the first X/Y set seems a more likely time for a basic energy print)

also in another thread togekiss is a better replacement then stoutland for gothitelle

I said it in another thread but if we rotate and its not in plasma blast we wont have basic energy (and the first X/Y set seems a more likely time for a basic energy print)

also in another thread togekiss is a better replacement then stoutland for gothitelle

I believe Basic Energy is immune to rotation? You can use any Basic Energy in any format.

I believe Basic Energy is immune to rotation? You can use any Basic Energy in any format.

I don't believe it's ever come up, honestly. Basic Energy were printed in:

Base Set
Base Set 2
Gym Heroes
Gym Challenge
Neo Genesis
Expedition
Ruby and Sapphire
Emerald
Holon Phantoms
Power Keepers
Diamond & Pearl
Heart Gold & Soul Silver
Call of Legends
Black & White

...in addition to Trainer Kits & promo packs. Between those, I can't think of a single time there's ever not been Basic Energy in a legal set. Can anyone else?

I believe Destiny Warrior is correct; basic Energy is exempt from all rotations, and can always be used. Even if there were no such rule, I wouldn't worry - the TPCI that be would never let that situation actually happen.

So as far as discussion goes, I take it everyone is in agreement that we are skipping EX Battle Boost and going straight to XY without the unique cards in that set? *COUGHCHANDELURE-EXCOUGH*

if we skip ex battle boost nodice the earliest we get XY is oct/nov set ie about a month after XY video games are out, if we don't skip it earliest we get XY is jan/feb 4-5 months after XY video games are out which is a rather long gap between the video and card games especially since the anime should be out in nov

so most of the signs (and general logic) point to us skipping it since its mostly a filler set, who knows they may do a mini set or make the missed cards promos

Last edited:
Think this might be the first time in a long time that we don't have a widely-played card that blocks trainers.

Basically, if/when/whatever a rotation occurs, the BLW cards will be out for sure. EPO will probably also be out of Modified.

Honestly, I would be kind of disappointed if Heavy Ball, Level Ball, and Prism Energy were all lost :/

Back