Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Possible Ruling may be wrong.

P_A

I feel that in light of the Dustox ruling with Sandstorm Omastar's attack "Pull Down", and other assorted rulings about powers, that the ruling regarding Kecleon being attacked by promo Smeargle's paint referred to here:

http://www.pokegym.net/showthread.php?t=3692

may be wrong. I believe that any pokemon power or body should be able to counteract any attack seeing that the steps to figure out the damage count the effects on the defending pokemon after the attack is announced and the effects from the attacker. Am I wrong?

not sure what your question is, but I'm of the oppinion that "fleeting effects" like Crystal Shard MUST take precedence over "continuous effects." But, it would've been fun if Crystal Shard would've been worded to allow the attached Pokemon to become colorless PLUS it's native (or transformed) type.

Well, actually I'm not really debating about the trainer crystal shard (perhaps I should, but I find that part of the ruling to be fair), what I find difficult to accept is that many rulings support the idea that the effect from the defending overrules the power, or attack of other pokemon (except faint attack). I can't see where Smeargle's Paint should overpower Kecleon's power. I'm just wondering if perhaps this might be a mistake. Seeing that neither card is actively used in our gym at this time, I doubt this situation would come up, but there's always that possibility. I would have to rule in accord with this ruling, but I wouldn't necessarily agree with it considering so many other rulings to the opposite.

Smeargle's Paint attack places a colouring counter on the defending pokemon. So the effect IS on the defending pokemon much like with the Crystal Shard Tool.

I thought something seemed off with that ruling(the previous rulings have shown that kecleon pretty much continuously checks and rechecks to see what basic energy cards are attached).

I have a player or two at my league that were considering making a deck that would force that ruling to come up(yes, only because it didn't have a ruling :D ).

One could say that the counter was also continuously forcing the color change, too.

Back