Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Prerelease Clefable printing error?

nidoking1011

Hey, I just got a prerelease clefable in the mail and I noticed that there are 2 distinct lines in the holofoil one is vertical and one is horizontal. the holo pattern looks different on the different sides of the lines... the stars in the pattern are cut off by the lines on both sides of the lines. Is this common on these cards? Thanks

Okay! I am having troubles getting a GOOD picture of the horizontal line but I uploaded 3 different angles anyways... You can't see the line to much but hey, I tried lol. The vertical line is pretty visible in the picture I uploaded... If anybody wants to see the original uncropped photos let me know and I can upload those as well. For now I'm going to try to get a better picture of the horizontal line. Thanks!

http://s743.photobucket.com/user/nidoking1011/media/DSCN1361_zpse5cde7a4.jpg.html

You can scroll through the for pics with the arrows

Can't see a thing, but it's more than likely just a place where the holofoil pattern reached the end of the pattern and started up again, so you see a discontinuity.
Not a printing error. Just part of the mechanical process of how these holofoil cards are made.

It hurts the value some having scratches or production lines but don't throw it away. It still has some value cause the card is rare enough.

production lines hurt the value? I believe these are production lines so this card is literally has foil from 3 different sheets showing on it. If it does hurt the value its pretty fortunate that its also miscut!

Kinda like the jpn ancient mew errors that had the production lines. More often than not it killed the grade and the value.

I'm going to stick with thinking this is a printing error. If this is from the pattern starting over was WoTC unable to figure out how how to make the pattern match? Also, I could understand this being visible on a fully holographic ancient mew but having 2 of these lines in the maybe 35% of exposed foil on a regular card? This could have easily been hidden on the other 65% of the card so you wouldn't see it.

You get the same thing with the nintendo cards. when the holo layer runs out, the sheet isn't discarded (would be quite a bit of waste over a print run). A new layer is just started resulting in about a 1mm overlay between the holo pattern to make sure everything was covered with the holo layer. Most of the time it happens toward the edge of the card where the overlay can't be seen, but every so often it does make its way into the art box. The reverse holo (since BW2) doesnt have this any more, but you would see it a lot before then.

All that said, yours looks like production scratches, not a holo overlay. Either way it affects the value and grading negatively.

Back