Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"Prize Swap" Should It Be A Rule or Should It be Banned!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDarkTwins

Hi,
What do you think about Prize Swaps? Do you think they should be allowed or Be Banned? I think they should be allowed be cause some rules call for it instead of a disqualifications. But I dont know, what do you all think about it?
Drew

Discuss.

Last edited:
Prize Swap is when your opponent forgets to draw or soemthing then you get to take a prize and your opponent puts down a prize form his or her deck.I think that's what it is but I'm not an expert.

Completely wrong, APT.

Prize Swap-When one's opponent does not put their prizes down at the start of the game. Prize Swap Rule takes place only if one's opponent has shuffled their deck before they realize this. One's opponenet must then put down 7 prizes, and one must take one of their prizes(and I think put it on top of their deck).

Anyways, at nationals that Doug Zuver judge guy said that they were not allowed to give prize swaps and only gave my opponent a WARNING when he noticed he had not placed prize on turn 4 when he was oracling. If it couldn't be a prize swap, it should have been a Game Loss.

Basically, it was created for game mistakes that were "unrewindable".
It was a substitute for "Game Loss" penalties becuase, since most Pokemon tournaments consist of single games, a game loss would be equal to a match loss.

PUI's guidelines went from Caution to Warning (repeated warning are allowed) to Game/Match Loss. It left out an intermediate penalty. However, it seems that some were in fact used at Nationals.

Should there be an intermediate penalty?
In my opinion, yes, I think one is definately needed.
Should it be a Prize Swap or something else?
I think that would be a good discussion. Usually a prize swap is either a Match Loss (impossible to come back from) or inconsequential (the player had firm control of the game and an extra prize just means the game is going to last one more turn).

I favor a range of penalties, but what they are and when to apply them would have to be worked out.

I find it interesting that PUI used Prize Swap at Nationals, I wonder if they will add it to the guidelines next time they revisit them.

It's hilarious that Dave told participants of Origins that Prize Penalties are no longer legal penalties and then Jimmer ends up assigning one. I guess there is a difference of opinion within the company.

I just loathed how a person who showed up late to a match before the fifteen minute cut off (which varied among judges of Nationals) could simply recieve a warning for their late arrival. I also loved being dropped from the tournament when my opponent didn't show up the first round and I also heard that a similar case happened in the 11-14 division.

Want to know what happened? Judge came by and said that since fifteen minutes are up, he won the match, and didn't have to go to the scorekeeping table. Guess what he did? He didn't go to the scorekeeping table and record that he was the winner. Come next round his name is no longer listed, just like mine after round one, but because he followed the judge's ruling to not go to the scorekeeping table, he would remain removed from the event.

His record was 5-0 or something similar to that! What in God's name would drive any kid to drop from a tournament with that record and dispute it later? Dave said that he could not re-enter. I don't think Dave has any idea how many times he broke the Spirit of the Game motto during Nationals. Not to mention all the rules that PTOs have been made to enforce.
-Phil

Last edited:
I think, Prize Loss as a substitute to Game Loss in best-of-one is a nice and good concept. The Penalty Guidelines need to be worked over. I made something like "my own guidelines", which are a compromise between the too lenient POP Guidelines and the maybe too harsh old Wizards Guidelines. In these guidelines tournaments are devided in 3 levels:
Level 1: Local tournaments, Prereleases
Level 2: City Championships, Gym Challenges, Regionals, Stadium Challenges
Level 3: Nationals, Worlds
with penalties according to the level of the event. The judge team at German Nationals judged something between "my" level 2 and 3 and it worked quite well (with the experience from this tournament, I will make some minor changes, though). Maybe a document PUI would like to see?

Prize swap, no, prize penalty yes. A swap is a difference of 2 prizes, I think one would be enough. Pretty much 1st warning let the opponent decide if they pick up one or if there opponent places one.

Maybe a swap for the second warning.

Then a game/match loss.

farbsman said:
Prize swap, no, prize penalty yes. A swap is a difference of 2 prizes, I think one would be enough. Pretty much 1st warning let the opponent decide if they pick up one or if there opponent places one.

Then a game/match loss.
My thoughts run along this line.

farbsman said:

Then a game/match loss.

that sounds to be very fair. i myself at the gym challenge in Nashville forgot to put down my prizes so i just got the prize penalty and still almost came back. that prize swap would have made a big difference me.

I like the prize penalty idea myself. Better yet, let the person who benefits from the penalty decide if (a) they want to take a prize or (b) they want a prize added to their opponent's prizes (it can make a difference).

davechri said:
I like the prize penalty idea myself. Better yet, let the person who benefits from the penalty decide if (a) they want to take a prize or (b) they want a prize added to their opponent's prizes (it can make a difference).

I really don´t think that there should be strategy involved when a penalty is awarded.

Gym Leader Blaine said:
I find it interesting that PUI used Prize Swap at Nationals, I wonder if they will add it to the guidelines next time they revisit them.
"Interesting?" I find it incomprehensible that PUI Staff cannot follow their own POP Tournament Penalty Guidelines.

Last edited:
GymLeaderPhil said:
Dave told participants of Origins that Prize Penalties are no longer legal penalties and then Jimmer ends up assigning one.

Any reference to what situation caused him to assign it?

This is the first I've heard of a statement that Prize penalties are no longer legal. They aren't given as examples in the penalty guidelines, but this is the first time I've heard of anyone from PUI saying they are no longer legal. When did he give this instruction?

bulbasnore said:
Any reference to what situation caused him to assign it?

This is the first I've heard of a statement that Prize penalties are no longer legal. They aren't given as examples in the penalty guidelines, but this is the first time I've heard of anyone from PUI saying they are no longer legal. When did he give this instruction?
At the PUI-PTO Meeting Friday, this subject was discussed. My understanding of the discussion is:

1. For the youger players, a Caution is the first step, then Warning, then Game Loss.
2. For older players, it is appropriate to start with a Waning then go to a Game Loss.
3. There are no other penalties (and it was stated that prize swaps are not to be used).

Personally, I like the intermediate step that Prize Swap offers. However, we no longer use it because that's what the penalty guidelines say to do, and we try to abide by the rules when running our tournament.

PokeMeBob said:
"Interesting?" I find it incomprehensible that PUI Staff cannot follow their own POP Tournament Penalty Guidelines.

You guys are all forgetting they are GUIDELINES, they can be changed. This was questioned in the meeting the judges had before Nationals began. We were told that the penalties guidelines were exactly that, just GUIDELINES. They were written so that a judge had something in writing to justify a penalty assigned during a tournament. If you alter them and assign something different, then you have to take the consiquences of what happens.

We were told in the meeting that a prize penalty could only be administed by Jimmer. So unless you asked for the head judge you wouldn't have been given a prize penalty. Zuver was right, he couldn't assign a prize swap.

Since Jimmer was not only head judge, works for PUI, and is head of rulings on cards he can change them and take any slack from anyone that gives it.

As far as the ruling mentioned above in a previous post above talking about a warning given by Zuver you can always ask for the head judge. It is in the floor rules. However the Head Judge has the final saying in all rulings during there tournament.

Last edited:
OF COURSE THIS SHOULD BE A RULE OMG . we all know how to play the game and even if the player forgets he knows that he should have. If its somebody who does not know the rules then they should learn it prior to the game. ITS THE PLAYERS RESPONSABILITY TO MAKE SURE HE OR SHE FOLLOWS THE RULES AND IF THEY DO NOT REMEMBER OR WISH TO OBIDE THEY SHOULD BE PUNISHED NO MATTER THE LEVEL OF THE TOURNEY OR EVEN SEVERITY

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back