Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Professor Exam? What the heck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraai

I'm fairly certain it's a well known issue now that the professor exam is....outdated to say the least.
The current rotation in play is currently far beyond the sets being asked about.

After attempting to take the quiz several times I've on the verge of giving up due to the fact the questions being asked have little to do with the current meta-game and the cards being asked about having little use now. And the outdated questions seem to be the only ones I tend to answer wrong constantly.

I find this unfair that they seem to refuse to update the questions to something more modern. Yes, I should probably know how the game worked 3 someodd years ago but I believe that with the current rotation and the change in settings the quiz should be updated to what the standards are now.

I've sent an email to Pokémon Customer Care about this; I suggest you would do the same. They're more likely to see it. [email protected]

Additionally, I'd bet cash money they know the test is out of date, they're probably working on a replacement for when the B&W rules take effect.

I had to retake the exam recently, and yes, some of the questions deal with outdated cards. But I didn't run into any questions that delt with outdated concepts. Being able to pick up a card you don't recognize and relate it to rulings for other similar cards is just as, if not far more, important than straight memorizing every card and every ruling. The exam tests not only your knowledge, but your application of that knowledge.

I recently had to retake the test, and yes while many of the cards are out of rotation, any professor should EASILY be able to interpret the various card related situations that arise. Correct penalties and questions dealing with pop policy are a little trickier but not impossible, you should still be able to get a passing score.

As far as card rulings, those are always relevant, even if they don't use new examples. There's always going to be questions on stuff like Agility or Agility-like attacks. I have absolutely no problems with old cards being included on the Prof Exam, as those scenarios will come up again, even if it's not in this format.

As far as the Organizing and Judging stuff, though, that changes yearly (and sometimes monthly). Those need to be changed.

What there is even worse about the exam is then you don´t answear them 1,2,3,4... you will get a score of 0%. The questions is like bullados say possibly to answear.

I dont recall any Q's that were outdated on the rules and tourney policies. Yes, they use old(er) cards for Q's, but as others have pointed out, the interactions of the cards are the important aspects.

Keith

PS If you have an issue with a particular Q you feel is wrong, email them.

I'm fairly certain it's a well known issue now that the professor exam is....outdated to say the least.
The current rotation in play is currently far beyond the sets being asked about.

After attempting to take the quiz several times I've on the verge of giving up due to the fact the questions being asked have little to do with the current meta-game and the cards being asked about having little use now. And the outdated questions seem to be the only ones I tend to answer wrong constantly.

I find this unfair that they seem to refuse to update the questions to something more modern. Yes, I should probably know how the game worked 3 someodd years ago but I believe that with the current rotation and the change in settings the quiz should be updated to what the standards are now.

AMEN to this brutha!!

I like how this thread is just some people who aren't professors who are complaining about the test and a bunch of professors who are defending it.

My advice: Study for it.

Two words - meta rulings!
A professor needs to know how the game works, not just to memorize how meta-cards are played. What if a player has a question about a card you don't know because it doesn't see much play? For this purpose, it doesn't matter if some of the questions are outdated, as long as the concepts are the same.

I hate the term meta-rules

Just always have.

No disrespect, but I would have words with any judge that explained that things were how they were due to a meta-rule.

Vince

The way I've always looked at the test is not that it's judging your ability to memorize vast rulesets. It's more about your ability to take basic rulings and extrapolate them under pressure to come up with the correct ruling. In this respect, it's actually slightly better to use outdated cards that feature game effects which may not be used regularly now because it often requires someone to look at something they may not have seen before and use the card text and the rules they are familiar with to come up with the correct decision.

I recently just barely re-passed the test, and looking back through my missed answers, the problem was not that the questions I answered incorrectly were particularly difficult. It is the fact that I didn't adequately read the question and think about the answer, I "auto-answered" without thinking about why I was answering the way I was. That said, if there is a particular question that you know you answered correctly and the test said you did not, then it would be prudent to e-mail customer service to explain what the problem was. This would only really apply to questions about basic game rules and newly-changed tournament rules.

I hate the term meta-rules

Just always have.

No disrespect, but I would have words with any judge that explained that things were how they were due to a meta-rule.

Vince

But Vince, we actually have a Meta Ruling section in the Compendium to cover some concepts in a general way rather than have each ruling be card specific.

Also, while the questions currently still use older cards, I believe that all of the questions that involve out of date concepts or old floor rules have been removed or updated.

I took it just a hair over a month ago and failed by 1 question and I know for a fact I missed 2 questions that were outdated. one was about tournament stuff that I had the answer in front when I answered and went back and looked over the entire tournament section and still concluded I was correct, it was just an issue of a rule change. Another I missed is about foreign language cards, which aren't legal (and that wasn't the question).

I posted a thread exactly like this one and got the same response; email customer service. to this day, I've still not heard back.

I posted a thread exactly like this one and got the same response; email customer service. to this day, I've still not heard back.

I actually responded to your email on 12/02/10. For future reference it is important to let us know which questions you got wrong when letting us know about these issues as the questions are random and we only record your score as well as start and end times.

I took it just a hair over a month ago and failed by 1 question and I know for a fact I missed 2 questions that were outdated. one was about tournament stuff that I had the answer in front when I answered and went back and looked over the entire tournament section and still concluded I was correct, it was just an issue of a rule change. Another I missed is about foreign language cards, which aren't legal (and that wasn't the question).

Foreign language cards ARE still current, since reprints essentially need the same qualifications for them.

The exam still regards questions such as 40 min time limits, the use of Foreign cards in the deck, etc. etc..

What I find more annoying is the question involving an unlimited format, when there is not much need for such questions. There are no official unlimited tournaments unlike with magic, so why have questions about it?

There are still questions in the exam regarding the time limit of a game being 40 minutes.

I noticed that too; when I asked my TO about it, he pointed out a small but very important detail in the question that makes it still relevant. Those questions are tricksy! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back