Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Proving Rare Candy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archonn

How do i prove an illegal Rare Candy Basic-Stage 2 evolution as illegal?

Imagine the following situation. My opponent has a Totodile in play. He then plays a Rare Candy and tries to evolve Totodile into Swampert. How can i stop this, since Totodile doesn't state into whom it evolves, Rare Candy says nothing about it, and Swampert only says that it evolves from Marshtomp? How can i prove that Marshtomp evolves from Mudkip and not Totodile?

Sure, i could use information from outside the game (asking a judge, looking at a pokédex, looking at the Marshtomp card, etc), but wouldn't that be strange? I mean, there's no card game that requires anything else other than the cards and knowledge of the rules! There's no other effect that requires any info other than the one provided by the game! (And if in that example i was, let's imagine, playing at the South Pole, distant of everything? Yes, i know that's impossible, but you understand that some people haven't access to external information, so this restriction would be unfair to them)

That said, i wait for an answer.

(By the way, i think that the official reading on Rare Candy is wrong. It reads: "...Stage 2 card that evolves from that pokémon..." The way it is, only pokémons like a Maxie'd Team Magma's Lairon would be techincally Basic Pokémons that evolve into a Stage 2. If, however, it was written this way...: "...Stage 2 card that evolves from the Stage 1 pokémon that evolves from that pokémon..." But since we already have an official reading about it, i won't complain.)

Compendium Ex said:
Q. Can I evolve Dratini in play to Dark Dragonite by using Rare Candy?
A. Yes. [This is true as long as there is a normal evolutionary path between the basic and the Stage 2 "Dark" Pokémon.] (Feb 10, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

So, it has to be an evolution from the 'normal evolutionary path' to be legal. For odd cases, like 'Baby Evolution', refer to the compendium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back