Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

PSP Battery times are here.

Kyfogre22

Yup. Straight from EGM (and not, *Gasp* Sony!).

Metal Gear Acid: 5 hours 45 Minutes

Video off of Memory Stick:* 5 Hours 37 Minutes

Ridge Racer Wireless Multiplayer: 3 Hours 11 Minutes

Full Recharge Time - 2 hours, 10 minutes

Not bad, IMO.

* - Not from the UMD drive, but saved from the memory disk.

Last edited:
Not bad, but still not great either. The reason that one gets these portable gaming devices is so that one can play them during a road trip or plane ride. I have yet to find a single distance road trip longer than 6 hours (1 day's car ride0, but plane trips can very easily go over 11 hours. If you're trying to play a game during that time, you only have about half of the plane ride in order to play it (not including bathroom and food breaks *blugh*).

PSP comes with two batteries, I think, and you CAN buy them, and the only time a plane trip will hit 11 hours is if you're flying from something like Canada to Australlia.

Not everyone buys portable consoles is to play them during a road trip or a plane ride; many people buy them simply because the console and the software are cheaper then their home counterparts, and some people buy the psp in particular for it's multiple capabilities (listening to music uses almost no power, I've heard), and some people buy it because of the ease of multiplayer.

When these times were recorded (a few weeks before release), there were no available UMD video disks.

Also keep in mind that RRDS and MGA are graphically intensive games and are the games that are pushing the limit right now, so you will recieve better battery life on any of the other releases that don't push the system quite as hard.

Kyfogre22 said:
PSP comes with two batteries, I think, and you CAN buy them, and the only time a plane trip will hit 11 hours is if you're flying from something like Canada to Australlia.

Having two batteries is a little annoying in a system where the only way to charge the battery is to have it IN the system...

Also, ANY flight over an Ocean (not counting going WAY up North or picking special cases like Brazil to the West coast of Africa) will last 9-10+ hours.

Not everyone buys portable consoles is to play them during a road trip or a plane ride; many people buy them simply because the console and the software are cheaper then their home counterparts, and some people buy the psp in particular for it's multiple capabilities (listening to music uses almost no power, I've heard), and some people buy it because of the ease of multiplayer.

Console and software cheaper? PSP is more expensive than any of the current consoles, and most of the software is $40 - not very far from the home systems, really.

Also keep in mind that RRDS and MGA are graphically intensive games and are the games that are pushing the limit right now, so you will recieve better battery life on any of the other releases that don't push the system quite as hard.

RRDS gets the same battery life as any other DS game... but RR PSP takes a pretty heavy toll on its batteries, sadly.

The recharge time is nice, I must admit.

There aren't two batteries in the console at once, there's one replacable, rechargable battery, I think. Don't hold me to that.

I seriously hope you're not considering buying a console just so it can last you through those oh-so-frequent ocean flights.

PSP is more expensive because it just came out, it will eventually be cheaper.

The batteries of the PSP draw more power from the graphics then the DS' battery setup.

If they ever sell the console by itself, sure it will go down. Will I buy it over an X-Box? Never. I could buy a gamecube and more than 2 games for the same price of a PSP.

I'll admit, the PSP does seem pretty sweet - although I'll likely never get one unless they go down... a *lot*.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the current "Value Pack" situation?

Kyfogre22 said:
There aren't two batteries in the console at once, there's one replacable, rechargable battery, I think. Don't hold me to that.

I never said that. :)

What I said was it'll be annoying having 2 batteries when the only way to charge a battery is to have it IN the unit, so you always have to make a mental note to swap batteries once one charges to full.

I seriously hope you're not considering buying a console just so it can last you through those oh-so-frequent ocean flights.

I do those flights generally at least once (round trip) a year (and I have extreme trouble sleeping on planes), and at least once a month I go on 4~5 (depending on traffic) hour road trips.

PSP is more expensive because it just came out, it will eventually be cheaper.

It's more expensive because the hardware is more expensive to produce. Once PSP's price comes down, Sony will make less money / lose more money per unit sold, and Nintendo will surely bite the bullet and drop DS's price to probably the 100-120 range.

The batteries of the PSP draw more power from the graphics then the DS' battery setup.

The PSP's battery is rated at more than twice the output as DS's (1800 mAh vs. about 800-850 mAh), and PSP's hardware is more complex AND runs at (up to) a far, far higher clock speed than DS's (PSP: up to 333MHz on two processors, DS: ~90MHz on ARM9, ~33MHz on ARM7). Few to no games will EVER tap the PSP much more than Ridge Racers has, simply because if they do, they will have TERRIBLE battery life. The faster you run PSP's processors, the more power per unit of time they will drain. DS's system runs full speed at all times, so at least we know no games will run for less than 8-10 hours without wireless networking enabled.

Well, Nintendo's official times for DS are 6~10 hours, so the PSP isn't exactly far off if you're playing on your own.

I too take a lot of road-ish trips as well as flights, but I certainly wouldn't buy a PSP for that purpose unless I had multiple batteries. Personally, I think that's a cool idea (to have multiple batteries), and that's why I don't really see the battery life as a flaw.

I know why it's expensive, but Sony will probably never be shortchanged, much like Micro$oft, they have many departments and market control, so they'll have a financial backing; should they choose to continue investing in the console market, the "PSP will cost Sony money" isn't really a factor in the price. Market share is their game.

Well, despite technical merits, I believe that once developers come more proficient with the hardware, the expected battery life will become less and less of an issue; they'll either be able to not require maximum use of the hardware, or they'll compensate for the weaknesses by modifying gameplay appropriately.

I'm planning on buying a PSP once the price drops, and once I'm done with Guild Wars.

Heres the info I got from someone who actually has a PSP.

Video watching battery life: 3 hours

Mp3 battery lifeL 10 hours

Game battery life:5 hours.

The DS has over 10 hours, so yeah its alot worse.

DS doesn't have over 10 hours unless you're playing a GBA game, and these were done on a PSP with 2/3 volume and backlit, so, I'm going to go with a respected publication over your friend's estimates.

I'll be done with Guildwars when I'm better then you all. =D

Kyfogre22 said:
DS doesn't have over 10 hours unless you're playing a GBA game, and these were done on a PSP with 2/3 volume and backlit, so, I'm going to go with a respected publication over your friend's estimates.

I'll be done with Guildwars when I'm better then you all. =D

Well, tis not "my" friend, its meh dads friend. anyway, yeah your prolly right about the 2/3 volume and the backlit light, but I seriously doubt anyones gonna want to play a game without them.

Back