Gir

I had a quiz in my Psychology class yesterday and one of the questions asked:

Alcohol consumption is least likely to make people more:

a) fearful
b) aggressive
c) self-conscious
d) sexually daring
e) self-disclosing

The answer was c) and I chose a). I emailed my teacher asking him why a) was wrong and he said that fearful usually is a reaction to someone else, and one of his examples was if you are a drunk driver then you cause others to be more fearful.

However, I thought that he knocked out the other answers by saying that adjective described the person who was drinking...like a drunk person would be more sexually daring because his sexual inhibitions are lowered.

Could someone explain to me why they think either c) or a) is correct?

Basically, if you are less self-concious, you are less fearful. It encompasses a great many things rather than just fearfulness.

Last edited:
it's C because when you drink you get on a buzz and don't realize that you may look stupid to other people when you are on a buzz/ or Drunk. You still have fears when you are not completely drunk and have somewhat a grip on reality.

It depends how much tolerance and how much you drink too.

Yay! I guessed C!

Althoguh fearful does make some sense, C makes more sense, and in others, when not specified, is pretty cheap. :nonono:

What level is this at?

I'd say C would be the primary answer.
Anything else, including being less fearful would follow from that.
I could see that someone might become more fearful while drunk if they are worried about being caught, but that's about it.
Other people being more fearful is beside the point because that's not what was asked about.

The key here is the term "least likely." Questions like this often come with multiple answers that are not outright wrong, although the degrees to which the answers are correct vary enough for you to tell which of them more closely addresses what was specifically asked (in this case, the effect that was least likely to happen). While it is true that alcohol should generally not increase a person's fearfulness, wouldn't you agree that it would be even less likely for alcohol to increase a person's self-consciousness, considering that alcohol is primarily consumed as a social lubricant (helping you get outside of yourself, allowing you to open up to others) and/or "escapist" tool (where you "drown your sorrows/worries/cares/inhibitions")?

It is kind of like if someone asked, "What is most likely to happen to a person who is caught outside in a storm?" and two of the answers were "Get electrocuted by lightning" and "Get wet", followed by a number of other obviously incorrect choices such as "Get dry." The answer "get wet" is clearly correct because it is a lot more likely to happen than getting struck by lightning.

A.) Fearful: Alcohol usually has a melloing out effect

B.) Yes, Sometime people get Aggressive/violent, Some people get the Super Man effect where they feel unstopable. Which leads to poor choices.

C.) Alcohol usually makes people less self consious (back to the melloing out effect).

D.) People get alot more friendly under the influnce.

E.) Most people talk more than they should, some won't shut up.

I probably would have answered C but A should be fine to. Very poorly worded question.

The wording is fine. "Least likely" is the key phrase here.

I guessed that it was C as soon as I read the question. Don't know why, it just seemed like the right answer.

Well he agreed to take the question off the quiz so it's alright now. I didn't read the chapter anyway lol.

The answer is C and it isnt even close. Alcohol loosens people and their inhibitions. Ergo, parties are usually more "happening" an hour or more into the event. Gotta have the alcohol take effect. (Thinking baaaaaaaaack to my College days)

Keith

I chose A because it's fear that keeps people self-aware IMO and keeps people from doing stupid things or crossing certain lines.

Back