Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Psycodad's Lame Deck and Worlds Report

psycodad

The wife, boys, and I arrive at the Wyndam on Friday. When we arrived I ran into a bunch of great players/friends from the gYm and tested with The Answer and RabidRogue for awhile. I pulled out this deck which we called LAMO (a story for another time) and just pwned going a stellar 8-2 in side games. We went to the huge welcome party ate and then tested a bunch more upstairs. I went to sleep Friday night with 3 decks still on my might play list. After 4 hours of broken sleep I woke up early, went to Denny's and over coffee decided that LAMO just worked better than my other lists.
Here's the list I played:

LAMO
Pokemon 24
4 Dunsparce
3 meditite
3 medicahm
3 shuppet
3 banette
4 clamperl
4 Gorebyss

Trainers 20

3 copycat
1 POR - anti decking tool
4 Steven's Advice
2 tv reporter
1 atm rock - rocks! pun intended
3 oracle
2 Mr Brineys - huge
1 professor elms training method - 3 1 stages - required
3 Desert Ruins

Energy 16

6 psy
2 fighting
4 double rainbow
4 multi

The list had tested well against shiftry, gardy, metagross, blaze and even magma so I felt confident going into a major with the list. I also knew it had issues with walriegn and some other rogue stuff going in as well.
My first match was against the Japanese national runner up Yuichi. I thought I would do well against his Magma deck as my list had test 50/50 vs this deck but no, he pwned me completely. He used reversals, strength charms, and magma nrg to get up early and then crushed any thing that I got built on the bench. Super player, no mistakes, game over quickly.
0-1

2nd round blaze
The judges gave me the 3 points. I'm @ table 10 w/pooka (who I know would crush me with walriegn) and thinking why am I here? I go back and check the pairings and yep, they game me the win. I point out the error and the MC . I switch places with Yuichi. I am paired with blaze. The deck just roars out of the gate and I win.
1-1

round 3 Swamper ex John Lathem - TrainerJL
This is the first time that I had played John. John is a great player and is playing swampert ex. Farily tough match up for me. We have a super time playing an intense 25 minute game but ruins and medicham take the last 2 prizes for the win.
2-1

round 4
tom d insanity - Tom's a top drawer player and I get up fast by 3 or 4 as his deck completely lets him down. He takes like one prize with a sparce and I send up what I think is a gorebyss with a double rainbow to KO sparce, I grab the prize but no, I attack with the other gorebyss that has a single multi. Tom wants to give me the prize, but it was my mistake so I call a judge on myself and he has me shuffle the prize in the deck and put a prize from the bottom and use the other attack. I do, flip tails, and Tom makes a mad comeback. His deck starts roaring and I am busy trying to stay afloat. I was shaking like a leaf. It ends up in a 5-5 tie. Another turn or 2 and Tom would have won. Great game Tom!
2-1-1

round 5 - shiftry
This deck matches well against shiftry and did not let me down in this game. It was over quickly. His deck stalls but this fella keeps a super attitude and we take in a few yuks. We play a second with the same result.
3-1-1

round 6 gardy/ton/catty - Patriarch
Another super player. He's playing speed gardy. I had not tested against this gardy variant so I wasn't sure how the game would flow. He resisted playing special nrg as long as possible trying to avoid massive damage from banette. Another classic back and forth battle but banette and gorebyss finish him off after medicham got the lead. Great game.
4-1-1

round 7 pooka table 10
de ja vu, pooka again? Same table, bring on Rod Sterling & Twilite Zone............
Anyways, we ID, play a side game, my deck fartz, he pwns me, we laugh awhile and its on to the top 32. I talk to Tom after the game and he says he's mathimatically out but I tell him to keep positive and what do you know, he makes it as well! Super!

top 32 - magma
Who did I draw? Guess who, Yuichi my round 1 opponent! Bummage for me, bunch of blaze and I draw another speed magma deck with a technical wizard at the helm! I am at the back corner table with three of Japans finest. The other 2 players where playing a magma mirror. Their match was super entertaining and I was able to watch some between turns. I tell them how old I am with dice and we all get a good laugh! First game I lose in a long close battle. Yuichi plays pokemon with super skills and exhibits fine sportsmanship in spite of my goof ball behavior and sloppy play. I had an early gorebyss and could play double rainbows with no fear of rock TM which got me up early but magma roared back for the win. In the second game Yuichi was forced to use mostly special nrg. I was able to get some in the discard and banette got me ahead for the win. In the 3rd game, Yuichi's deck started fasted and I scooped down 3 with 15 minutes left.

Props
Judges - The fine work of the judges and volunteers
Nintendo - Super tourney for Nintendos' 1st worlds - best ever in most books
People - Seeing all the old faces and meeting new people from the gym. Lets keep this game alive!
Hey Shackers - Hanging and testing with the shaqers on Friday night. Good times.
Games - Watching Fullup's games with Will Hung & the Neo crowd - Super games Chris.
Players - The Japanese pokemon players super metagaming and game skills.

Hey Radiostar
It was nice meeting you on Sunday night. I was the 2nd magma deck you played. We will cya at the next big event.

Hey Eric, great job as usual. It's too bad you didn't make it to the next round, but T32 is nothing to look past. I'm sure I'll see you in a tournament in the near future!

Oh yeah, thanks for the laughs. It's nice to have someone to have fun with in between rounds.

awesome job psycodad... hopefully I'll get to playtest and/or talk to ya some more next Worlds =) It was awesome meeting ya.

Thanks for the posts fellas
I'll be travelling to as many events as possible next season so I am sure we'll meet again.

Eric: I listened to your CD, and just lemme say your MY HERO. Anyway congrats on another great finish. Oh and btw the secret playtesting was so cool, what was the quote James Bond of Pokemon OH GOD. Cya at the shack sometime soon.

AJ

Hey AJ
I'm blushing. Thanks for spending time with us. We always enjoy you and your brothers company. Give me a heads-up when your shacking again and I'll cya there.

Last edited:
Hey Dave
Good seeing you again. I sure I'llsee you next season.

Tyranitar666 said:
AJ- Your brothers cooler than you.
First off, Dylans' cooler than all of us! Don't let that worry you Ttar, your still my hero!

Last edited:
Yay! I mean, I am the father of our child...well, so are you, which really makes things a tad bit creepy, but somehow the anatomy worked out anyways!

Back