Staff member
Trader Feedback Mod
Here's an update about October regional Championships:

• Dragon Vault is NOT legal for the TCG Championship
    • Except the cards that are reprints.
  • Video Game Championship format changes:
    • Swiss Rounds - expect 20 minutes time limit
    • Top 8 Cut - Best 2 of 3, 20 minute games

updated with confirmation that the reprints from Dragon Vault are legal for Regionals

Last edited:
Does this mean NO cards (not even reprints) from Dragon Vault?

Specifically Rayquaza DRX 128 and the Dragon Vault version.

I'm thinking they know that Rayquaza is the chase card in the set for players at this time and when they tell me no Dragon Vault, then they've already figured on that... but that doesn't mean I'm not (or Team Compendium is not) asking.

But don't get your hopes up! :frown: Two reasons: 1) the set will apparently be unevenly available until after Regional - there is not a traditional "Expansion Set" release date and 2) it has gone this way in the past that the new sets that are not legal but have reprints yet the reprints are not legal for the set.

I just want to get the word out ASAP, because, as Mike from Team Cook will tell you just like us organizers need to plan, we know the players need to plan, too!

This is a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE choice on TPCi's part.

Now if anyone wants to compete with RayEels they HAVE to drop 80+ dollars on a stupid shiny Rayquaza. The non shiny should have been in Dragons Exalted in the first place. STUPID.

I'm thinking they know that Rayquaza is the chase card in the set for players at this time and when they tell me no Dragon Vault, then they've already figured on that... but that doesn't mean I'm not (or Team Compendium is not) asking.

But don't get your hopes up! :frown: Two reasons: 1) the set will apparently be unevenly available until after Regional - there is not a traditional "Expansion Set" release date and 2) it has gone this way in the past that the new sets that are not legal but have reprints yet the reprints are not legal for the set.

I just want to get the word out ASAP, because, as Mike from Team Cook will tell you just like us organizers need to plan, we know the players need to plan, too!

15.5. Unreleased Cards
From time to time, players will acquire cards from a new set prior to its regular release date, usually via a Prerelease. These cards may not be used in sanctioned tournaments until the regular release date of the set, as outlined in Section 16, with one exception. Cards that are already tournament legal which have been reprinted in an unreleased set may be used as long they are easily identifiable as a reprinted card. This is typically only an issue when a reprinted card receives new art, though other factors may create a similar issue. These cards should always be played with the most recent wording of the tournament-legal version of the card.
Players who are unsure as to whether an unreleased card meets the exception above should check with the Head Judge prior to the start of the tournament.

By this rule, Rayquaza, Super Rod, Exp Share from Dragon Vault should be legal, either the promo card or the pack from Dragon Vault. The only thing that has changed from any of these cards are the art on them.

But don't get your hopes up! :frown: Two reasons: 1) the set will apparently be unevenly available until after Regional

If a card is not allowed to be played because it is "unevenly available," then why was Tropical Beach legal last season? There hasn't been a playable card with such limited circulation (and thus uneven availability) as Tropical Beach, yet it was still allowed.

Last edited:
So, the Shiny Rayquaza is banned from the tournament or can use still use it but not the DV set one?

Obviously the Shiny one isn't banned. And I mean no offense by using the word "obviously." I just don't want even more ridiculous rumors to start.

Examples?

There is no reason to think it (Rayquaza) isn't legal. It's the exact same card. We have been able in the past to play cards that were reprints, but the set wasn't legal. I can think of Worlds 2006, when Celio's Network was legal, reprinted in Crystal Guardians, and allowed since it was already legal for tournament play before.

Drew

BW Theme Decks.

Pokemon Communication.

I seriously hope that this ruling doesn't come down that way.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when people show up with Fast Ticket in their decks all tested and ready to go.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when people show up with Fast Ticket in their decks all tested and ready to go.
You don't build your deck strategy on Fast Ticket. It's a card that takes absolutely zero skill (obviously, since you don't play it but just need to have luck to get it to your starting hand) and helps donk decks. I'd be very very happy to play Regionals without that card.

Other cards in the set aren't really important for the metagame, so as long as they permit Rayquaza everything should be fine imo.

I would love to play agains anyone dedicating 4 spots to fast ticket. Yeah you go first more often but its 4 cards that are, literally, useless once a cards is drawn. Ill play 60 cards against your 57 anyday

Is this information listed anywhere on the official sites? I can't seem to find it.

Not that I doubt the Bulbasnore at all, but odd...

I love getting all my official information from Pokebeach and Pokegym.:rolleyes:

Vince

---------- Post added 09/27/2012 at 10:17 AM ----------

I would love to play agains anyone dedicating 4 spots to fast ticket. Yeah you go first more often but its 4 cards that are, literally, useless once a cards is drawn. Ill play 60 cards against your 57 anyday

Yeah, but usually going 2nd is such a big disadvantage in this envio. The more fascinating piece to me is starting with a 5-card hand or less (if there is another Fast Ticket in there) and what type of disadvantage that will be that may offset the turn 1 advantage.

Vince

You don't build your deck strategy on Fast Ticket. It's a card that takes absolutely zero skill (obviously, since you don't play it but just need to have luck to get it to your starting hand) and helps donk decks. I'd be very very happy to play Regionals without that card.

Other cards in the set aren't really important for the metagame, so as long as they permit Rayquaza everything should be fine imo.

That's not even necessarily the problem. You're going to have Juniors/Seniors who just got their new trainer card that lets them go first and then put it into their deck. It wouldn't surprise me if deck checks are a bit more troublesome this time around.

Back