Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Raichu GL: The New Toxicroak?

ArmoredMewtwo

Hey, everyone, it's been a while since I started a thread... I would have posted after States, but I was exhausted after the three-hour drive home. @_@

Anyway, I just now got the chance to look at some of the Bonds to the End of Time scans, and realized something: Raichu GL is going to be popular when it comes out for most SP Decks. Why do I say this? It's a simple matter of its second attack:

[L][C] Lightning Chain: Does 30 damage plus an additional 10 damage times the number of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon with any damage counters on them.

Now, even though it's a Rare, I say this will be the next set's (or whenever it comes out) Toxicroak in terms of hype, but it will actually have a reason to back it. Let's compare and contrast, shall we?

Similarities:
By the beginning of the opponent's next turn (Assuming Toxitank is running correctly against a non-G/Status Block deck), 70 damage can be dealt by both.
Both only take one energy to attack with Energy Gain.
Both get the benefit of Team Galactic cards and other SP-related Trainers, as well as Snowpoint Temple.

Differences:
Toxicroak G is Psychic, Raichu GL is Electric.
Likewise, both have double-weakness (Toxicroak G to Psychic, Raichu GL to Electric).
Toxicroak G has a built in Unown G, while Raichu has two attacks.
Toxicroak has 90 HP, Raichu has 80.
Toxicroak loses to G Pokemon Decks (Including itself, if the opponent has a slower set-up. That's right; slower), Psychic Decks, and most decks with Psychic Resistance. Raichu loses to decks that don't keep many Pokemon on the Bench, Fighting Decks (Namely Ramparados, though Machamp can still OHKO it if Unown G isn't attached, which makes it a bit harder to run), and Anti-Spread Decks.
Toxicroak relies on the opponent's Pokemon suffering Poison (which can usually be blocked by Unown G, Status-Repelling Bodies/Powers, and the actually state of being an SP Pokemon), while Raichu's limited to how many Pokemon are on your opponent's bench and if you can damage them.
Toxitank can tech in Azelf X to avoid weakness, which Raichu (if it wants to avoid being owned in the face) must tech in cards like Exploud.

All in all, the cards are very similar... However, in a match-up between decks built around the two, Toxicroak is likely to lose.

That's just my observation of the situation... Would anyone like to share their thoughts on this matter? Personally, I think I may run it with Dusknoir X.

If it's the new toxicroak then nobody will use it

Toxicroak may not be good (personally been my standpoint for a while), but it is popular. I'm assuming the same thing will happen to this.
Here we go. let's compare cards that have no similarities whatsoever.

Oh and yeah, Toxicroak is horrible.

For the second half of your post, see my response to MadHatter.

As for the first half, well... Let's see here. Two Pokemon capable of doing a 70 damage donk (including poison for Toxicroak) that are both SPs, capable of abusing some of the most broken trainers in the format, and also have the major problem of x2 Weakness and only a 10-HP difference?

Yeah, not similar at all.

Oh boy, we have another one .-.

Its a freakin frog and a mouse! Ones yellows ones purple! woohoo they both hit for 70! so do about 90347 other cards. excuse me for being rude but comeon, is this thread even necessary?

Oh boy, we have another one .-.

Its a freakin frog and a mouse! Ones yellows ones purple! woohoo they both hit for 70! so do about 90347 other cards. excuse me for being rude but comeon, is this thread even necessary?

Yes. Yes it is.

The whole point of this thread is the simple principle that Raichu will be over-hyped... A point you seem to misunderstand. Even though I am going to run the card with Dusknoir, it will probably be a tech (Heh, a tech with a tech in a different sort of spread deck).

This should be like a backup attacker in Gallade 4 decks to get quick KO's.

Actually, that's kind of a cool idea. However, I was thinking something more along the lines of Abomasnow or some other spreader.

Now you're just being a nuisance. I was making an observation and stating my mind about it. If you opened up a thread to do the same thing (yes, even for the bloody Absol X), I wouldn't come in and just bash the idea. If I had negative thoughts of the subject, I would try to respectfully acknowledge why I disagree, rather than just post something of that sordid nature your first post wreaks of.

I'm sorry, but there's really no excuse for that.

Armored mewtwo-

I'm diggin' the idea. I'm going to use and abuse Raichu to the max.

T1 crobat, poke turn, crobat, raichu, energy, energy gain, KO.

Presuming I have the right stuff :p
But I get the point.

Lol, why not run both? Why limit yourself with only Toxicroak G or only Raichu GL? Throw in some Lightning Energy and a Raichu or two, lol.

I'd say run Raichu with Gallade 4. Gallade is a terror to face to begin with, adding Raichu to the mix makes things that more interesting.

In my opinion I think Raichu GL is better than Toxicroak since it has free retreat and combos nicely w/ Yanmega (and not Frosslass since we'll lose our ONLY Snorunt when the sets cycle :nonono: ). It also has potential with Zangoose's chop up attack.

I like the Raichu, but I think it belongs more in Gallade decks then its own.

Personally, I'm excited for Luxray to come out.

I don't see Raichu as a major threat until someone figures out some awesome combo to use it with.

Back