Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Raichu vs Kingdra

MrGinerik

So is Raichu Lv X going to be the end of the Kingdra Decks???? I have yet to play against a Raichu deck, but i know in my area they are being made. I am wondering if they have what it takes to knock Kingdra off the top for now???

Yes, and no. I have a Raichu Lv. X deck and I've played against Kingdra. The main reason that Raichu doesn't just destroy Kingdra is because if how fast Kingdra is, compared to the relatively slow Raichu deck. I mean if you have a great start with Raichu then you have a pretty good chance of taking Kingdra down, but I still think that Kingdra will see a lot of play.

Kingdra needs 1 energy to go hard and fast. Raichu needs 3 ... it's the same problem Luxray had in BRs. Sure either can abuse Kingdra's weakness, but neither really match it's speed.

Well if you want to be accurate, Raichu really needs a total of five energy, and possibly 7 the turn you play it. It is so difficult to pull that off!

All of Raichu's problems are solved through the unbeatable force that is Raidhatter.

Anyway, Raichu isn't the end of Kingdra, I'd say it's a bad matchup, but Kingdra can still win.
Also, Kingdra still beats many other decks.

Most games I don't have a huge problem getting the first Rai powered up. The exception being when something like Kingdra that starts doing T1 60+ and spreading damage. Then it's hard.

It's getting the second, third, and possibly 4th powered up that present serious challenges IMHO.

Most games I don't have a huge problem getting the first Rai powered up. The exception being when something like Kingdra that starts doing T1 60+ and spreading damage. Then it's hard.

It's getting the second, third, and possibly 4th powered up that present serious challenges IMHO.

Not with Magnezone :)

First, get rid of their claydol/s.

Then start doing 90+10 (PP)+30 (weakness) with Raichu MT via 'Zone.

I'd say that Raichu doesn't have a tremendous edge against Kingdra due to the latter's insane speed and cost-efficiency coupled with the fact that Raichu does require a lot of support to do consistent damage (with big discards required constantly). However, of all the decks in the format, I think Raichu does have one of the best comeback options against Kingdra, being able to KO both a Claydol and a Kingdra in one turn when you level up (assuming you're using either the SF or the MD Raichu so you can deal 130 to the Kingdra with weakness). With support from something like Electivire SW it is also possible to get consecutive Burst Balls out of SF Raichu.

Kingdra hates consecutive OHKOs.

Raichu does have one of the best comeback options against Kingdra, being able to KO both a Claydol and a Kingdra in one turn when you level up (assuming you're using either the SF or the MD Raichu so you can deal 130 to the Kingdra with weakness).
That works if Kingdra is the Active, but even then, If a Bubble Coat's attached, you can't knock them both out. Da fish is tuff.

Kingdra is going to be active most of the time, and almost no one plays Bubble Coat. It's next to impossible to search for, it only works once, and it only helps against one specific type of Pokemon (the one your main attacker is weak to), so it generally gets left in binders.

Oh and I forgot to mention that the ability to KO any subsequent Claydol on command that pops up after you Voltage Shoot the first one is another way that Raichu can get the edge against Kingdra. They'd still have an Uxie or two to help refill their hand perhaps, but eventually Dragon Pump is going to be ineffective without constant Cosmic Power support and that means Raichus can stick around longer.

Back