Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rare Candy First Turn...

RaNd0m

Ok, I just want to get a final ruling on this because I've heard it different ways.

If I win the flip, and I choose to go second... can I rare candy evolve on my "first" turn? I know I can't rare candy if I go first... but does it work going second?

Thanks,

~ RaNd0m

Wrong, You can rare candy in any turn of the game 1 -1000000000000000000000000000000000000. Whether you go 1st, 2nd, 3rd

where did you even hear this random?

whoever told you that needs to read the rules :/

and besides, how does a professor not know that?

Reading the rule book wouldn't help.
It was an old ruling that it didn't work, but that ruling was reversed quite a while ago.

Any traniner can be played 1st turn by the player going first as long as it's not a supporter. If you are going second, either by choice or necessity, then you can also play a supporter. Since RC is not a supporter, go for it!! (Maybe you got this confused with Wally's??)

Give Jon a break. He has been away from the game for some time, and is just now coming back.

See you in Sedalia sir!

M45

Alright thanks for the help guys.

And yeah, well I've heard differently... and I just wanted to make sure. It's true I haven't played competitively for like 2 years before the regional in Madison.

Also, I don't know if I'm a professor anymore. I haven't taken the test... so maybe this icon needs to be removed. Who knows?

M45... I'm excited to be there! :D

~ RaNd0m

Last edited:
The only thing restricting you from playing Wally's Training is the "no first turn supporter" rule and the "one supporter per turn" rule. You may always play a Wally's Training at any time that you would be allowed to use any other supporter. No restrictions apply to the fact that it is "evolving"

Last edited:
Here's a simple statement that covers them all:
All Trainers, Attacks, and Pokemon Powers (POWERS & BODIES) may ignore normal evolution rules except for the rule about legal evolution chains (the evolution card must have "Evolves from X" printed on it, where "X" is either the Pokemon or a Pokemon in that evo chain in the case of Rare Candy or Pokemon Breeder)

Note that any restriction printed on the card must still be obeyed. For example, Pokemon Breeder specifically says that you must obey most Evolution rules. Wally has the Supporter rules printed on it.

And Wally's can't be used to Evolve a Basic Pokemon to a Stage 2 one...just to let people know. It won't let you skip the Stage 1 like Rare Candy does.

i think i know but i want to make sure since this thread confused me,
can you play candy and then wallys?

breeder was nice and clear... put a stage 2 from your hand on the matching basic says breeder.

It was Rare Candy's use of the term 'evolves from' and specifying both the stage 1 and stage 2 card all in the same sentance that caused some early grief that was later clarified. Then just to add a bit more confusion to the mix we had the rule that NOTHING evolves on the first turn no matter if its the effect of a trainer, the effect of an attack, or a pokemon power. Which was subsequently over turned.

Rare Candy = Really Confusing

It is a good idea to know exactly how rare candy works as it is probably the most significant card in the current format and set to remain so after the format changes in September (ish).

Either player can rare candy on their first turn.
Rare Candy counts as evolving so having played candy you can't then evolve normally.
Rare Candy does not work on baby pokemon.
Rare Candy does not work on basics that have to use the poke-POWER Baby Evolution to evolve.
There must be no cards underneath the card you intend to Candy.
Rare Candy gets around Pokemon Powers that stop you evolving.

hmm must ask if the Skyridge Omastar and kabutops need to be updated in the Compendium EX. The Compendium EX currently indicates that both Primal Stare and Primal Aura prevent Rare Candy from working.

[torotoro : it isn't true that ANY trainer can be played first turn :( For a while now the rule has been that you can't 'waste' a trainer just to get it out of your hand. eg you can't play pokemon retriever if their are no pokemon in your discard pile]

Last edited:
NoPoke said:
[torotoro : it isn't true that ANY trainer can be played first turn :( For a while now the rule has been that you can't 'waste' a trainer just to get it out of your hand. eg you can't play pokemon retriever if their are no pokemon in your discard pile]
Oops, my bad--of course you are correct!

Back