Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rare Candy Ruling

Illydth

I think this turns out to be another "basic" vs. "unevolved" question, but here goes.

Compendium Ruling
---------------------------
Q. Say I use my Pichu's "Baby Evolution" power to evolve Pichu into Pikachu, which is now an "evolved Basic Pokémon". Can I then play Rare Candy on my Pikachu to evolve it into Raichu or Raichu-EX during the same turn?
A. Since Pikachu would be considered an "Evolved Pokémon" at that point, Rare Candy cannot be used on that Pikachu. Rare Candy can only be used on "non-Evolved" Pokémon. (Apr 14, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

This is confusing to me. The text on Rare Candy Says:

"Choose 1 of your Basic Pokemon in play. If you have a Stage 1 or Stage 2 card that evolves from that Pokemon in your hand, put that card on the Basic Pokemon. (This counts as evolving that Pokemon.)"

(This is from the GE card, UL adds another line about if you have a Stage 2 you place it on the basic and not on the stage one, but this is irrelevant to the question I'm asking).

So when we evolve Pichu to Pikachu via Baby Evolution, Pikachu becomes an EVOLVED pokemon, but is STILL a basic pokemon (it has "basic" on it's card). Given this, then, isn't the ruling on Rare Candy Incorrect? Pikachu is still a basic pokemon so Rare candy (which effects basic pokemon, not unevolved pokemon) would be legal to evolve Pikachu (with Pichu under it) into Raichu.

This would seem to make sense because Rare Candy was reprinted AFTER the understanding of "unevolved vs basic" was finalized (at least I think it was) and since the card STILL has the word "basic" on it, would it not, then, apply in this case?

Thanks for any answer you might give here.

--Illydth

Back