Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rare Candy worth playing?

What are your thoughts on Rare Candy in a HGSS- format (or even prerotation)?

I'm not sure if getting a Stage 2 out 1 turn earlier with Rare Candy is worth the space required for Rare Candy. It takes 2 turns to manually evolve a Stage 2 Pokemon but, prior to the rule change, Rare Candy was able to bypass the 2 turn requirement completely and let you evolve immediately (i.e. there was a 0 turn requirement). It still takes 2 turns to manually evolve, but now Rare Candy only reduces the 2 turn requirement to a 1 turn requirement. So does the change from a 0 turn requirement to a 1 turn requirement, when comparing to the 2 turns required to manually evolve, make Rare Candy unnecessary and, perhaps, unplayable?

Obviously, there are several disadvantages to Rare Candy. These include being unable to fully take advantage of Rescue Energy, being unable to play Rare Candy under a trainer lock (may not be that important in HGSS-), getting less of a benefit when using Seeker on a RCed Pokemon, being unable to search for Rare Candy with Communication/PETM, being required to have the Stage 2 and Rare Candy in your hand at the same time etc.

When building my postrotation decks, I have not been including Rare Candy. Have you?

~Colin

Being that it's going to be a slow format and the new ruling is taking place, your better off putting in 2 rare candies at the max or none. Instead of rare candy, your better off with better trainers, such as Revive, Energy Retrieval, Pokemon Catcher, Max Potion, etc,

It's still an amazing card. I couldn't imagine running a deck that requires setting up a stage 2 pokemon without candy next format.

You said it yourself. Rare Candy makes you able to set up (and attack with) a stage 2 Pokémon one turn faster. If I knew a card that would give me the ability to set up and attack 1 turn faster (almost guaranteed every match), then I would certainly play it.

It depends on the deck.

If it's a deck that can generally wait the extra turn to evolve and can survive for extended periods of time without the stage 2 in play (like MewGar), I'd say heck no.

If it's a deck where the stage 2 is a necessary part of the strategy, up to and including the main attacker, like Jumpluff, Feraligatr, or one of the Ram supports, it's a necessary part of deckbuilding, even if it's never used, just because it COULD break the game open earlier than you expected.

Here's the thing. Was Pokemon Breeder a powerful card for Base Blastoise decks? What about NR Crobat decks? Why wouldn't it be powerful in a format that is in many ways similar to those formats?

I say it's still worth it. You can still pull off a turn 1 stage 2 Pokemon. I run 2 stage to Pokemon in my deck and it helps so much. I can't speak for Catcher because it might not even get printed here. Lost World was not that broken but Pokemon Catcher is through and through. If favors opening hands too much.

I say run Rare Candy untill you see a reason not to. Max out on Collector and next turn spam Candy.

I still see it as worth having a fair amount in a deck. It's going to be useful, even if it has been hindered like it was. It's still an out to getting to your big, beefy stage two line that much easier, as opposed to simply running the stage one lines. And, without it, you either wait one turn, or two turns to actually get to your stage 2 line. I still see it as plenty worth it, even if it was nerfed to breeder status.

You said it yourself. Rare Candy makes you able to set up (and attack with) a stage 2 Pokémon one turn faster. If I knew a card that would give me the ability to set up and attack 1 turn faster (almost guaranteed every match), then I would certainly play it.

This sums up my opinion on the matter quite well. There are stage 2's like Feraligatr, Emboar, Typhlosion and Magnezone where being able to use their power one turn earlier can help a ton, not to mention if you're playing a stage 2 that you can attack with, having it up a turn earlier can help a lot. In decks with 2 or more stage 2's, I think 4 copies will be the norm (maybe sometimes 3) and even if there is only 1 stage 2, 1 or 2 Rare Candys can really make a difference.

I say it's still worth it. You can still pull off a turn 1 stage 2 Pokemon. I run 2 stage to Pokemon in my deck and it helps so much. I can't speak for Catcher because it might not even get printed here. Lost World was not that broken but Pokemon Catcher is through and through. If favors opening hands too much.

I say run Rare Candy untill you see a reason not to. Max out on Collector and next turn spam Candy.

Curious about the T1 S2...

Curious about the T1 S2...

Heh, perhaps Abra MT plus Shaymin UL plus Pachi CoL plus a psychic energy?
Because it was totally reprinted in BW, it's just so rare that only one pack in a billion had them or something.
(This joke would make more sense if I was less tired, promise)

I meant after the first turn of playing the Pokemon. I count that ture as turn 0 for the pokemon when you play it and turn 1 afterwards.

I do not understand this. Do you count the turns for that Pokémon only, or do you normally count turns as 0-1-2-3-4..and so on. Because if that is the case, then I would say you count wrong. Sure, it may be the way you do it, but everyone else starts counting at 1 and therefore it can be confusing when you for example say you can get a stage 2 T1, as you did here.

I am not trying to complain, just a bit confused regarding how you count turns.

T1 is the First Turn. This is why it's called T1. In all reality though, until we rotate, BTS still makes a T1 S2 possible.

As for HGSS-on, Rare Candy is great in testing. Being able to grab a Candy and Stage 2 with Twins vs. the Stage 1 and 2 is extremely beneficial.

You can not turn 1 a stage 2 Pokemon. The new print of Rare Candy specifically forbids that. All Basic Pokemon must remain Basic Pokemon for at least one turn (with BTS being the lone exception that I can think of right now)

I do not understand this. Do you count the turns for that Pokémon only, or do you normally count turns as 0-1-2-3-4..and so on. Because if that is the case, then I would say you count wrong. Sure, it may be the way you do it, but everyone else starts counting at 1 and therefore it can be confusing when you for example say you can get a stage 2 T1, as you did here.

I am not trying to complain, just a bit confused regarding how you count turns.

It's a force of habbit. I play the Naruto TCG and turn 1 is turn 0 then 1 and so on. I kind of need to break that.

---------- Post added 05/17/2011 at 01:07 PM ----------

You can not turn 1 a stage 2 Pokemon. The new print of Rare Candy specifically forbids that. All Basic Pokemon must remain Basic Pokemon for at least one turn (with BTS being the lone exception that I can think of right now)

I meant turn 2. It's also why I said what I said. "Max out on Collector and next turn spam Candy"

Definitely continue to run Rare Candy. One turn slower than before but still one turn faster than normal evolution rules allow = still great. Most of the stage 2s you'd be evolving into either have a Power/Ability or an attack you'd be immediately using, so that one turn of acceleration can and should be directly beneficial.

Back