Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rare Candy

Imperial

ok, im really confused about this.
you can only evolve a pokemon the turn after its played down. how can rare candy break this rule when it even says "this counts as evolving?" so i hear you cant play it on your VERY first turn, but turns after that, say, you can lay down a Whismur and candy it imediatly to Exploud? i dont really understand how, but if its true ( i dont get it) then wally's training would work the same way, correct?!?
could someone please give me a very good explanation? :confused:

Last edited:
Hope this qualifies as a "good explanation" (^_-)

Imperial said:
ok, im really confused about this.
you can only evolve a pokemon the turn after its played down. how can rare candy break this rule when it even says "this counts as evolving?" so i hear you cant play it on your VERY first turn, but turns after that, say, you can lay down a Whismur and candy it imediatly to Exploud? i dont really understand how, but if its true ( i dont get it) then wally's training would work the same way, correct?!?
could someone please give me a very good explanation? :confused:
Yes, you can only evolve a Pokemon after the turn that it was played. But Rare Candy disregards this rule due to the fact that it is a Trainer card and it doesn't specify on the card that the evolution rule is a requirement for the card to be used. "this counts as evolving" is not stated as a requirement. Unlike Pokemon Breeder which states "You can only play this card when you would be allowed to evolve that Pokemon anyways." as a specific requirement, "this counts as evolving" is an aftermath of playing the Trainer card. If you Rare Candy a basic into its Stage 1, and it so happens that you get its Stage 2 into your hand at the same turn(assuming that it evolves up to a Stage 2), you will not be able to use the Stage 2 until after your opponent's turn because as Rare Candy states: this counts as evolving. Does this make any sense to you so far? Hope so;). And yes, these facts also apply to Wally's Training.

Some people may not agree with this logic but as of now, this is how these cards are ruled.

Last edited:
Back