Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rep's San Diego Sandstorm Prerelease Report.

Rep13

Hello everyone, Matt Dunford here reporting on the San Diego Sandstorm Prerelease Tournament.

I arrived at the Holiday Inn at 11:00 and met up with my group of friends and played a few games with them in the lobby until the doors opened at 1:00. At that time we registered for the tournament and were given our packs and began making our decks. After writing down all the cards in our packs we had to give up our cards and be assigned the cards that another player had received. This is the deck I managed to build.

Rep's Sandstorm Prerelease Deck (Draft)

Pokemon

1 Natu I-17 (Sandstorm)
1 Cyndaquil I-08 (Sandstorm)
1 Onix I-22 (Sandstorm)
1 Steelix I-78 (Sandstorm)
2 Eevee I-25 (Sandstorm)
2 Volbeat I-38 (Sandstorm)
2 Ekans I-01 (Sandstorm)
1 Arbok I-34 (Sandstorm)
2 Shroomish I-04 (Sandstorm)
1 Breloom I-37 (Sandstorm)
3 Sandshrew I-21 (Sandstorm)

Trainers

1 Lanette’s Net Search (Sandstorm)
1 Double Full Heal (Sandstorm)
1 Wally’s Training (Sandstorm)

Energy

1 Multi Energy (Sandstorm)
9 Grass Energy (Sandstorm)
10 Fighting Energy (Sandstorm)

Round 1 Rep vs. Joel Cassilas

Joel won the coin flip and lead with 2 Cacneas, I led with 2 Sandshrews. Joel attached a grass energy to his Cacnea did 20 damage with posion to me. I attached a fighting energy to my Sandshrew and did 10 damage to his Cacnea. Joel attached a grass energy to his benched Cacnea and KOed my Sandshrew. I brought up my other Sandshrew and attached a fighting energy to it and did 10 damage to it, and I became posioned due to his power. Joel hit me for 20 damage. I hit him for 10 damage and was KOed from posion.

0-1

Round 2 Rep vs. Matt Longo

I won the coin flip and led with a Shroomish and a Volbeat, he led with an Eevee and a Cyndaquil. I attached a fighting energy to my Shroomish and used growth spurt to attach a grass energy to it. He benches another Eevee and attched a psychic energy to it and passes. I evolve my Shroomish to Breloom and attach a fighting energy to it and KO his Eevee. He brings up his Cyndaquil, Evolves his benched Eevee into Espeon and burns my Breloom. I attach a grass energy to my Volbeat and KO his Cyndaquil, and I take burn damage. He attaches a psychic energy to his Espeon and passes. I attach a fighting energy to my volbeat and hit him for 50 and take burn damage. He attaches another psychic energy to his espeon and hits me for 20, and Breloom was KOed from burn damage. I bring up Volbeat and do 20 to him. He attached another psychic erengy to his Espeon and did 40 to me. I hit him for another 20 damage and won.

1-1

Round 3 Rep vs. Jim

I won the coin flip and lead with Ekans and a Shroomish, he led with a Slakoth and an Onix. I attached a grass energy to my Ekans and did 10 damage to his slakoth. He attached a fighting energy to his and did 10 damage to my Ekans. I did another 10 damage to his Slakoth. He evolved his Slakoth into Vigoroth and passed. I attached a fighting energy to my Ekans and used Wally's Training and to Evolve it into Arbok and used Toxic on his Vigoroth. He retreated his Vigoroth and and brought up Onix and attached an energy to his Vigoroth. I put down a Volbeat and attached a grass energy to it and used toxic on his Onix. He attached a fighting energy to his Vigoroth and passed, his onix was KOed from posion. He brought up Vigoroth and I used toxic on him and won the game.

2-1

Round 4 Rep vs. Paul Andrade (Sandy-Man)

I won the coin flip and led with Ekans and Sandshrew, he led with a Slakoth and a Pichu. I attached a grass energy to my Ekans and did 10 to his Slakoth and paralyzed it. He put down an Elekid and a Solrock, attached an energy to his Slakoth and passed. I attached a grass energy to my Ekans and used Wally's Training to evolve it and passed. Paul brings up his Solrock and attaches a fighting energy to and uses its attack to draw 3 cards. I attach a fighting energy to my Arbok and used Toxic on his Solrock. Paul benched an Eevee and retreated his Solrock for it and attached an energy to his Eevee and hit me for 10. I attach a fighting energy to my Sandshrew and used Toxic on his Eevee. At this point I noticed that all of his Pokemon either had 10 HP left or would be KOed from toxic immediatly. Every time Paul brought out a new pokemon I would KO it. So in the end I was victorious.

3-1

Round 5 Rep vs. William Dutch

I won the coin flip and I led with a Shroomish and a Volbeat on the bench, he led with a Root Fossil and an Eevee on his bench. I attach a fighting energy to my Shroomish and used growth spurt to attach a grass energy to it. He put an energy on his Eevee and passed. I attached another fighting energy to my Shroomish and used Wally's Training to evolve it to Breloom and KOed his Root Fossil. William brought up his Eevee and did 20 damage to me. I did 50 damage to his Eevee and won the game.

4-1

Round 6 Rep vs. James Day

This was my toughest match of the day. James won the coin flip I led with a Shoomish and an Ekans, James led with an Eevee and a Natu. James attached a water energy to his Eevee and used Signs of Evolution for a Vaporeon and an Espeon. I bench an Onix and attach a grass energy to my Shroomish and used Growth Spurt and attached another grass energy to it. James benched a Psyduck evolved his Eevee into Vaporeon attached a water energy to it and passed. I benched a Volbeat attached a grass energy to my Ekans, evolved my Shroomish into Breloom and poisoned his Vaporean. James evolved his his Natu into Xatu and his Psyduck into Golduck, used Xatus power to remove a damage counter, attached a water energy to his Vaporeon and did 50 damage to my Breloom and took posion damage. I attach a fighting energy to my Breloom did 50 damage to his Vaporeon. James benched an Eevee, attached a psychic energy to his Xatu and removed a damage counter from his Vaporeon and KOs my Breloom and he was KOed from poision damage. I bring up Ekans attach a grass energy to it and Evolve it to Arbok and pass. James attached a psychic energy to his Xatu and placed a damage counter on each of my pokemon. I bench a Volbeat and Evolve my Onix into Steelix, attach a fighting energy to my Arbok and used Toxic on his Xatu. James evolved his Eevee into Espeon and attached a psychic energy to his Golduck and and placed a counter on each of my pokemon. I attach a grass to my Volbeat and use toxic and KO his Xatu. He brings up his Golduck attaches a water energy to it and does 30 damage to my Arbok. I attach a fighting energy to my Volbeat and use Toxic on his Golduck. He attaches a psychic energy to his Espeon and KOs my Arbok. I bring up my Volbeat attach a grass energy to it and used Toxic Vibration and managed to posion him. He attached a psychic energy to his Espeon and did 20 damage to me and took posion damage. I used Pester for 40 damage and won.

6-1

Once again Nick went undefeated and claimed 1st place while I get stuck in 2nd.

In the end I got half a box of Sandstorm and I gave a pack to James, Strike, Sandy-Man, Trekeiv, and Professor Warbuzz out of the goodness of my heart.

All in all it was a good tourney and I have a new accomplishment that I can add to my signature.

I would like to thank IPGeek, SD Pokemom, and Chrisbo for Judging the event. And all the people who showed up.

And would like to congradulate Nick for winning once again.

Last edited:
Thanks Matt. I am glad you were on my side in that tournament. When I won, I got a few boos. The jealous people I guess. I even got a few boos from my own team. Not going to say who, (Abraham). I enjoyed this one much more than the R/S challenge tournament. We got to work with new, cool cards, all card playing rounds, and more people. I even got to see some people that I haven't seen for awhile, (James and Dallas). I was sad though that we didn't get medals again this time, but that's okay. I was wearing my first place medal from the last tourney under my professor shirt for good luck, and it seems it did the trick. I am glad so many people came, and thanks to the fine people that made this tourney possible. Also, big thanks for Matt, my dear friend, who from the kindness of his heart sat down and typed that long, detailed report. If only I kept my heart... But, big thanks to him too. Stay cool Matt, and see you later.
Nick

Hey! What am I?? Cooked beef??? Lol Well I did horribly.. ok not that bad but not good either. What counts however is that I had a lot of fun... more fun than I had had in a very long time. I look forward to the next prerelease tourny, who knows, maybe this time ill get some good cards! :thumb:

I did not do to well either. I came in the top eight, but I did not hear what position I came in. I did have a lot of fun though, but wished we could have had the side events. Oh well.

Back