Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

returning after hiatus since 2012 Spring Regionals

I've been playing Pokémon TCG since 2001 (with a brief hiatus in 2002-2003), but I haven't played or gotten many new cards at all since 2012 Spring Regionals. I want to get back into the game. I'm not going to make it to Winter Regionals, but I'm definitely planning on going to States and Spring Regionals. I'm trying to figure out what deck to make and what to buy accordingly. I want to make a deck that is top-tier, and is likely to remain that way for awhile. The 3 decks I'm looking at are Blastoise/Keldeo, Ray/Eels, and Darkrai/Hydreigon. As someone who has always loved Base Set Blastoise (and Rain Dance is probably still my all-time favorite deck), I'd really like to make Blastoise/Keldeo. Since I don't plan on playing until States, Keldeo-EX will be cheaply available in a tin before I will need it. I already own 1 Mewtwo-EX, and if I need another, it's available in a tin. Blastoise (and Squirtle/Wartortle and even Skyla) are available in a theme deck. However, the deck really needs 2 Tropical Beach. While I might be able to get those, I'm hesitant on spending the money on them right before a new set comes out, as I'm not sure if the deck will still be top-tier or not, especially with Klinklang likely to be released in Plasma Storm.

Ray/Eels and Darkrai/Hydreigon are much cheaper options. I already have the Eelektrik line and 1 Rayquaza-EX, and can get more from tins. I'm getting a Dragon Vault box with the promo Rayquaza, so that will give me at least 1 Shred ("shiny") Rayquaza. I have 1 Darkrai-EX and can get more from tins. Out of Ray/Eels, Darkrai/Hydreigon, and Blastoise/Keldeo, how likely do you think each of these decks are to remain top-tier after Plasma Storm, and possibly beyond? Which is most likely?

What's the best way to go? Should I hold off on buying cards for any deck and see what Plasma Storm brings? Should I hold off even longer and see how the metagame develops once that set is released (but before States, of course)? As said, I'd really like to make Blastoise/Keldeo, but I definitely don't want to spend the money on 2 Tropical Beach if they aren't going to be cards that I can use in top-tier decks in the future. It's likely that current and future stage 2 decks will run it, though, and I am a fan of stage 2 decks, which would make purchasing them much more worthwhile as long as some of those will be top-tier.

Thanks!

Back