Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Returning Player: What Sets are Worth Investing In?

Sixxxpounder

I'm sure nobody really remembers my previous activity on this website, but I used to be regularly active member.
I was also a very competitive player and quite a collector.
Now my primary concern is just having a good resource of cards for creating decks.

I'm just getting back into the game and am looking to be well-stocked for the new format beginning in September. I'd like to know what sets are worth investing in (with the exception of Diamond & Pearl and Mysterious Treasures - I've already purchased my share).

I'm looking to buy roughly 6 booster boxes. Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Mysterious Treasures is coming out in a couple of weeks. you could look into that. But for now, Diamond & Pearl is a good set. Power Keepers too

The rotation after Worlds will be HP on (Holon Phantoms). I anticipate that after Worlds 2008, it will be DP on. I think using D/P and MT will be good starting points.

I'd look over the set lists for HP, PK, DF and CG and decide what style of deck you are looking for. You can either go the single card route and purchase what you need that way or, if you have the resources to get 6 boxes, buy 1 of each of thses 4, review what you pull, then go get 2 more of your fav's.

Welcome back and Good Luck!

Keith

dont get pk if you already have alot of cards from ruby and saphire on. this set has alot of reprints in there,very few new cards. the ones of note are the ex cards. the only other good sets are going to holon phantoms, crystal guardians and dragon frontiers, ill explain why. holon phantoms has alot of pokemon that help you to energy accellerate and set up your pokmon, alot of the set cards become the core of your deck. crystal guardians is alot of secondary pokmon like ss dunsparce and jirachi hl were. along with powerful attackers, only about half of which are delta species. the other half consists of usually good normal pokemon, the exs in this set are all not delta. the pokemon overall in this set are good in pretty much any deck. dragon frontiers is almost exclusively delta species pokemon but like crystal guardians they are mostly consisting of a few drawing cards pokemon and alot of attackers. all of the exs in this set are highly competive for nearly any deck. the trainers in each of these three sets all have something of note and should give you something good from each of them. my suggestion is 2 of each or only one crystal guardians and three of the other. hope this helps.

Don't Buy PK. There's about nothing good in it.
Go for , CG, DF, DP, MT (DP2), which there's pre-release on, eh, tomorrow?, Sunday, and 2 weekends after this one. HP has some decent cards too though. (Rare Candy, Raichu d' etc.)

I'd go for one box of each major set -

Holon Phantoms, Crystal Guardians, Dragon Frontiers, Diamond & Pearl, and then Mysterious Treasures.

Get a second box of whichever set you feel you want more cards from (notably Trainers).

A box should get you playsets or near-playsets of every common and uncommon, as well as at least 2 of every Rare. The pokemon-ex and holos you don't want will be easy trade fuel to get the rest.

I'd personally invest primarily in the DP and MT sets, as odds are they will be around next format as well if anything. A box of Crystal Guardians couldn't hurt either, as it has Castaway amongst other good cards. For trainers, I'd just buy most of them off ebay if you can.

IMO the best sets to buy a box of would be Crystal Gaurdians and Dragon Frontiers. Then you could consider waiting until Shining Darkness and DP 4 to get any more. Actually that is what I'd recomend because the now legal sets just aren't that good.

What?!! PK no good?!! You're joking right? You might want to take a look at this post.

Delcatty is going to be widely used this format, plus some of the ex's as well. Blaziken has energy acceleration for fire decks, plus some of those trainers are going to be staples in decks. Hey, don't take my advice if you don't want to, but that would be the first set I'd buy if I had a chance, then build from there.

Back