Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Reverse holo cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomScizor

Just wondering, what does the Pokegym community like more, The old reverse Holo cards, like in the Ex series, or the Newer Diamond and pearl reverse holo cards. I'm on the fence because if it's a pokemon card, I usually like the newer reverses but if it's an energy like Special Darkness, I love the old reverses.

I actually really hate reverse holo cards. If I'm going to use any, they most likely will be the older reverses.

I prefer to use the least amount of shiny possible, and I only use plain old Base set Energy.

I trade away my RHs to people who collect them and enjoy blinging out their decks.

Part of the topic question is misleading; there have a variety of reverse holo styles, including minor variations seen from set to set. For my answer, I'll be going by card style or design, not the physical quality of the card (which may warp, based on the methods used). Images are on a hosting site, so as to avoid leeching bandwidth.

Legendary (WotC): The first design. Picture was non-holo, even if card was holo. Rest of it had that holographic pattern, including card borders. Attack text was a bit harder to read, especially if small, but I like the silver borders to the card.
Expedition-TMTA: Card has a slight gold tinge, no pattern, rainbow refractory appearance. The least interesting, only really good for showing where cards are damaged.
Hidden Legends: Only the picture was holofoil, had a background that displayed Energy symbols. A welcome change of design.
FR/LG: Smaller, more random Energy symbol placement is another design improvement, reminding me of the old holographic designs. The set symbol was added behind the text in holofoil, which as a Poke Ball looks nice, but might detract from reading the text.
EX:TR: Well, great. This starts the "list the set in the bottom-right-corner" trend I disliked about later reverse holofoil cards. Set name is in color for holo-cards (by set number), silver for non-holos. One thing I do like was how the card name on what would be normal holographic cards is now gold, although I don't like how the Energy pattern carries on into it. No more set mini-symbol in attack text area.
Deoxys: A very ugly reverse holofoil pattern in addition to the set symbol. Only the X is in color in Deoxys on non-holo cards. Worst type, in my opinion.
Emerald: Poke Ball and starburst pattern. The pattern on-card looks a bit pixelated, but it does have a few cool effects when tilted and turned in the light. Emerald is green on holos, silver on non-holos.
Unseen Forces: Absolutely beautiful. The reverse holofoil looks like normal holofoil, making for amazing rare, uncommon, and common cards. Set logo is much smaller and less pronounced, and there are beautiful 3D Poke Ball lenticular-like holograms in the background. My favorite version of the reverse holo, I would be happy to see these come back. Also, now any rare, holo or not, has the gold name. The only problem, as you can see in this picture, is that the revere holo lining doesn't end up matching card borders, leading to pronounced lines in the holofoil that look... not so great. Ones without this flaw are beautiful.
Delta Species: Eh... okay. The picture is a plain rainbow coating, as are the yellow card borders. Not as bad as some previously described, but a bit sparce. Set logo's getting a bit bigger again...
Legend Maker: Is essentially the holographic form with a DS-sized set logo, small circles and spirals in design. Even though it is useless, reverse-holo React Energy is still one of my favorite-looking Energy cards, coming behind the Emerald and Unseen Forces reverse-holos.
HP-PK: And we're back to DS-reverse holo design, which makes sense given that LM came before DS in Japan.

DP-on gave us reverse-holos similar to RS-TMTA, except without covering the card borders, which is a shame. Of all the reverse holos, Legend Maker, followed by Unseen Forces, would have to be my favorites, and it's disappointing to see the shift away from them.

Last edited:
Thanks for describing all the changes in holofoil pattern, MegaVelocibot! I could not find this information anywhere. This should be on Bulbapedia.

As a collector, I'm completely frustrated by how Nintendo decided to change how reverse holofoils looked during the EX era a dozen times. The change in aesthetic has caused great confusion in the secondary market with some reverse holos worth more than the normal holo version and some worth less.

One aspect of EX reverse holos you forgot was Delta Species. Delta Species RHs looked exactly like the holo variations of Delta Species except their names were in foil.

Thanks for describing all the changes in holofoil pattern, MegaVelocibot! I could not find this information anywhere. This should be on Bulbapedia.
Quite welcome. I figured that the people discussing this topic should have a point of reference before replying.
One aspect of EX reverse holos you forgot was Delta Species. Delta Species RHs looked exactly like the holo variations of Delta Species except their names were in foil.
I believe I mentioned this in the Unseen Forces, where it continues from there on.

Reverse Holo's are annoying on cards that already have a real holo version. I just don't get why they'd do that to people.

Anyways, they look terrible, and are useless accept for inside jokes.

My girlfriend pulled from her first pack a Houndoom Prime. Her second pack contained a reverse holo Venonat.

Prime's are okay. I just hate the pointless holo's.

Yeah, the reverse holos from Legendary Collection are the only ones I really liked as well. Too bad they made our cards look like stickers. It also felt really strange seeing the pictures of base set Pokemon in non-foil for the first time.

I also like the Player Rewards "stitching" reverse holos.

I thought they might have been stickers at first as well :lol:
You should see pictures of the Trainer Deck Blastoise then, it's really odd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back