Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rhode Island 3rd Place Report..First Event in 2 years

Skull Bash

About 3 weeks ago my friend Adrian hit me up reminiscing about the game of pokemon. We literally hadn't played in an event in over 2 years and had not been keeping up with it at all. College/Me living away from home just completely took over my life and I really had no time for pokemon and analyzing the metagame. Anyway, Adrian hit me up one day and just suggested we go to a tournament. I agreed it was time to make a comeback since we never really won anything and just wanted to go to some tournaments again and have some fun.

Still even if we wanted to play again I would have to acquire some of the cards and have at least some basis of knowledge of the metagame. Basically I looked over pokegym for a little while for a couple weeks and came up with a decklist which Gino(The Nats champ from a couple years ago) looked over and gave me a couple pointers on.

We then went to the tourney in RI in a few weeks for the first tourney in a long time. I decided to play Plox simply because I think it's the only deck that I could complete in time and I knew it fairly well. When Adrian and I arrived after a 2 hour ride from CT, I still had plenty of cards to get for my deck. Luckily I borrowed a good amount of cards from people before the tourney started(Some of which I still have...if I borrowed cards from you please let me know because I don't know everybody since I wasn't the one who went to all of you asking for cards). Finally I filled out my decklist and got to the first round.

Round 1 vs Stephen J. w/ Shuppet

I shouldn't have won this game. He starts out with an Unknown G and has a horrible start. I also have a pretty abysmal start and I start with Ralts and have Kirlia, Psychic, Double colorless, and some other useless stuff in my hand. I end up sniping the shuppet he promotes on the bench with Kirlia as he gets an energy drought and can't really get anything going. Sorry man.

1-0

Round 2 vs Frank J w/ Butterfree

I start out with a Spiritomb and he starts out with Caterpie. He ends up getting a T1 Butterfree, yet has an energy drought for a few turns which I was very fortunate for. I got about a T3 Gardevoir and by this time he was attacking also. I start to get concerned as I'm doing about 30 a turn from Gardevoir because of his cherrim and also his Butterfree healing off the damage it dealt. He had an expert belt on it also. Eventually I'm able to get a Gallade up though and take out both the butterfree's he gets out and he couldn't get much going after that.

2-0

Round 3 vs Alex F w/Luxchomp

Alex is a well established player in the New England area and I knew it was going to be hard fought if I was going to beat him. He started out with Lucario and I started out with Spiritomb. I had a few turns of just draw/passing and hand was basically abysmal. After a while I was able to promote a Gardevoir but he just Bright Looked it out and killed it each time. He also had a pretty crucial looker's when he shuffled my Machamp tech back in the deck. He won this one handily.

2-1

Round 4 vs Michelle Rock w/Kingdra

Michelle began with a Horsea and I began with a Spiritomb. Once again my hand was fairly bad and it took me several turns to set up. Towards the beginning I had a TGW in my hand, but I didn't play it the first turn because I knew she had a bad hand as well. Eventually I used it though and she won it while I had virtually nothing on the field. I used a second one and won it which essentially gave me the match. From there I got a Gardevoir out Psychic locking on her Kingdra's that had expert belt on and already took a couple prizes. Soon after that I got a Gallade out to knock out both of her Kingdra's and I could tell 2 of her Kingdra's were prized which was rough for her. Great game Michelle.

3-1

I find out I'm in top cut at 3rd..but I end up getting a game loss in T4 because my decklist didn't match my deck(I decided last minute to take a warp point out and for some reason forgot to put Gallade in the decklist among other things), so in top cut I had to play without Gallade and with a game loss and somehow try to pull out a win..

Top 4 vs Hanaan w/Gengar AR

Coming into this game I already thought my chances were kind of bleak. I had to overcome a bad matchup without my big KO'er and already down a game. I opened with my tech machop and it all went down from there. Each time I was able to get a Gardy out he just bright looked it...good job getting to T2 man.

3-2

Props:

Adrian and Gino for both placing in top 8 with me
Alex F for winning again
A well run tourney
Good Chinese food afterwards
Getting 3rd in a tourney after not playing in 2 years

Slops:

Game Loss for my mistake(even though I don't think it would have mattered)
Michael not coming
Not getting anything good in my packs

Hopefully I'll see many of you again at Regs.

Back